It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• advice needed- scared

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-06-2003, 03:41 AM   #1
    polyanaish

polyanaish HB User
    Post advice needed- scared

Hello
    A couple of docs have diagnosed me with having IBS (based purely on my symptoms). My dad died 3 months ago from lung cancer (he worked in an asbestos mine when he first came to Australia, and I am also planning my wedding in July and trying to take care of my mum. This has obviously led me to feel really stressed and I have always been a very anxious person. Since then, I have been getting lots of stomach rumbling and mushy stools. I go once a day in the mornings and I am constantly worried about what my stool is going to look like so I get really nervous every time I go. The doc says that this emotional anxiety can sometimes lead to diarrhea. One time I had a mild panic attack and explosive diarrhea just came out while I was in the shower. I have got an anal fissure which sometimes causes bright red blood to streak on the toilet paper when I wipe- but the doc has checked this out. I don't really have thin stools, just mushy, but I have intermittent normal, formed stools.
    I know I sound like a worry-wart, but I am so scared of getting cancer since my dad got his. Could I have colon cancer? I'm 25 years old. Thanks

[This message has been edited by polyanaish (edited 05-06-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2003, 07:16 AM   #2
    angel_november02

angel_november02 HB User
    IBS is not colon cancer. I would just get a colonoscomy done to make sure there are no polyps or signs of cancer. And get it done as a check-up yearly to make sure you don't develop colon cancer. I don't even know that IBS increases your chances of colon cancer. I would just get anything checked you have doubts about to calm your worries. That in itself can make you sick. My mom died of colon cancer at 50 this year and had never been told about getting colonoscomies or anything about the disease. So ask your dr. many questions to ease your mind. Colon cancer is almost totally curable if found in the beginning stages. My mom's wasn't. That is why everyone should get colonscomies done no matter what.

Old 05-07-2003, 12:20 PM   #3
    coacheswife

coacheswife HB User
    i too have IBS, When i have a bout of it i have diarrhea, mushy stools also only in the morning. sometimes it can last 6 weeks, seems like viruses bring it on. Or if i have to take an antibotic for anything i get IBS.

in the past 3 years I have had probably 5 episodes of it. Every time I go through it I get scared too, my dad died of colon cancer at the age of 74.

I too am an anxious person probably borderline depression/anxiety disorder.

Good luck, i too recommend a colonoscopy just to be safe.

Closed Thread