It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• what was life like after reversal of ileostomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2005, 03:06 PM   #1
    tigerfish
    (female)

tigerfish HB User
    what was life like after reversal of ileostomy

Hi,
    My dad just had his operation, and he is wearing a temporary pouch (ileostomy), he is going to have 16 weeks of chemo treatment, which is once a week, then he will have the operation to reversal of ileostomy. What is life like after that operation?
    According to Dr. the operation to reverse it will be really small, like 20 min. And then after 2 days in the hospital, he will be back to normal. The only difference according to the dr is that my dad will go to bathroom 2-3 times instead of once a day. IS that true?

thanks
    Daisy

The following user gives a hug of support to tigerfish:
    WOLFIE01 (09-06-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 01:24 PM   #2
    Mazrose
    Veteran
    (female)

Mazrose HB User
    Re: what was life like after reversal of ileostomy

I have a ileostomy (temp) also and am going in on the 29th this month to talk reversal then Chemo.. I think they want me to be in a healthier status to do my op first. You have brought up some good questions!
    Maz

Old 03-22-2005, 04:17 AM   #3
    tigerfish
    (female)

tigerfish HB User

thanks for reply, I wish you a good surgery next Tuesday and a speedy recovery, please write me back when you can to tell me what is it going to be like.

thanks
    Daisy

Old 03-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #4
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am not sure that having an ileostomy reversed necessarily causes more visits to the bathroom...that could be the side effects of having colorectal surgery. My husband never had a colostomy but goes to the bathroom much more often than he would like! He is going to try metamucil to see if that will help. He is nearly two years post surgery and the situation is better than it was but still not where he would like to be. Otherwise he is doing really well.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
    andy_99

andy_99 HB User

i was just wondering,, are ileostomy all temporary??
    i mean, i know some are permanent, but are the majoirty temp?

anyway, from what ive heard, i agree with alison. frequent trips to the bathroom are more then likely caused by the surgery itself (side effects)

Old 03-29-2005, 07:47 AM   #6
    tigerfish
    (female)

tigerfish HB User

Mazrose
    Hi, this is Daisy, how was your reverse operation went?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #7
    Mazrose
    Veteran
    (female)

Mazrose HB User

I wasnt going in for the reversal.. but rather to talk about it...
    As it happens... they are going to do chemo and radiation first now... grrr.. Was so hoping to get rid of this damn bag..
    But the surgeon wants to make absolutely sure their is NO cancer at all anyhwere near the re connection site and so has ordered chemo and radiation first. I go on the 19th April to TALK to the onocologist about these procedures..
    Wish me luck.
    Starting to get down about all this now..
    Maz

Old 03-30-2005, 06:56 PM   #8
    edinaman
    Inactive
    (male)

edinaman HB User

Max, I can't imagine how disappointed you are with this delay. What is getting me through chemo (so far 10 out of 12 treatments done) is the words from others who have gone through chemo and have said, "remember, there is life after chemo". I also figure that April, May, June etc., will come and go whether or not I am having chemo, and one of these days I can look back on this. If you have any questions about chemo, there are lots of us on this board who can try to answer them.

Old 03-31-2005, 12:20 PM   #9
    Mazrose
    Veteran
    (female)

Mazrose HB User

Edinaman, thankyou for the reply.
    Are u just doing chemo or radiation as well? Do you know if I will be doing both at the same time, or one at a time?
    I can imagine that I would be rather sick if they did both at the same time
    Have u lost any hair from Chemo and are you sick?

Thanks
    Maz

Old 03-31-2005, 07:10 PM   #10
    edinaman
    Inactive
    (male)

edinaman HB User

Hi Maz, I am doing just chemo (as if that isn't enough!). From what I know, radiation for colon cancer is done before surgery to help shink the tumor. At least in my case, the cancer was discovered during surgery for a urologic cyst. The cancer was growing into the cyst and did not show up on a ct scan. The surgeon felt they had removed all of the cancer, but that chemo should be done just to be sure. That was bascially the same opinion of the oncologist. He said when I am done with chemo-2 left-I am done except for checkups every 3 months for I don't know how long, and a colonoscopy maybe 4 months after chemo. He said the next colonoscopy would be in 3 years! I did see a radiation oncologist. He said there was nothing left to radiate, so I get to miss that. He did say they do radiation more for rectal cancer than colon cancer. The rectum basically stays in one place and can be radiated. The colon moves around, so it is not as common to do it after surgery. The chemo nurses have told me that it is fairly common for people with rectal cancer to do radiation and chemo at the same time. If they feel there is a need for radiation with colon cancer, it is usually done before or after chemo. I hope this helps. Every cancer is different, doctors have different opinions, so you could talk to 5 people or doctors, and get 5 different responses. Unforunately it is not set in stone, and fortunately it is not set in stone so they can adapt treatment to each patient. I will be here to answer any chemo questions you may have. I think CancerDad can probably answer any questions you have about radiation.

Old 03-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
    edinaman
    Inactive
    (male)

edinaman HB User

Maz, I realized that I didn't answer a couple of your questions. I have not lost my hair, but it has thinned. It was starting to thin before chemo, so I don't know how much is from the chemo (as my nurse practioner and I joke, if we don't know, blame it on the chemo). All of the doctors have emphasized that with this chemo you usually don't lose your hair, but it will thin. Unfortunately, the women going through breast cancer and uterine cancer treatment will lose their hair. Generally I have felt good. At the start, I told the doctor I expected to be sick for 6 months. He said even think that-think of this as an inconvience. Usually I am tired during chemo and lose my appetite for a while. They have many drugs today to help with nausea. Chemo has been a 3 day affair. On day one, I get Oxalpalatin (a cancer drug) and leucorvoran ( vitamin). Then they give me a pump to wear on my belt, and that has folfox (a cancer drug). Day two is the same except no oxal, and then I come back on day three to have the pump disconnected. Many weeks I have had chemo on Tues,. Wed., and Thurs., or Wed., Thurs., and Friday, and on the following Sunday I have gone to the health club and done aerobics. Some weeks I have been too tired to do aerobics. Last night I did a kick boxing class. So to answer your question, I have not been really sick, sometimes tired and sometimes nauseated, but I am trying to live life as normally as possible. Again, everyone is different and will react differently to chemo, but it is nice to hear from someone who has been there. I have heard that radiation is more tiring than chemo. You learn what you can do and when to take it easy. It is not a crime during this to put yourself first and take care of yourself. Keep us posted on how you are doing, we are here for each other.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #12
    Cat Az
    (female)

Cat Az HB User

Your bag will spare you of the discomfort of diarhhea while you're going thru chemo and radiation. The reversal can be painful due to the frequency of bowel movements as many as 10-20 a day. I completed 5 1/2 weeks of chemo and radiation. Then 6 months of chemo. My bag was on for 10 months then I was reversed. Don't feel down about this, you'll get thru just take it one day at a time. Treatment isn't easy but be strong and refuse to let this thing get the best of you. you get the best of it. Good luck I beat it so can you, you'll be in my prayers.

Closed Thread