It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Colonoscopy is painless

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
    colopainless
    (male)

colopainless HB User
    Colonoscopy is painless

Hey everyone,

I just had my colonoscopy today. Procedure was absolutely painless. I was given combination of versed and demerol. Preparation was not a problem at all. I don't know what people complain about. For preparation I used pico salax [1]. It actually tastes excellent.

In the past couple of months I was one of those people lurking around forums hoping to find an answer if I have some serious GI problems. I see that I am not alone and that there are many others with similar concerns. It turns out that my bleeding was from hemorrhoids and anusitis - inflammation of the anal canal. But don't simply assume that this is your case as well. Get it checked. GI doc removed hemorrhoids using band ligation. Yes it hurts a bit but only for a little while.

Get your colonoscopy done. It is absolutely painless. Don't delay.

I wish the best to the people fighting this terrible disease.

All the best.

[1]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_u ids=8761394&dopt=Abstract

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
    PCTECH01
    (male)

PCTECH01 HB User
    Re: Colonoscopy is painless

Thanks for sharing the info-- hopefully it will put lots of inquiring minds at ease!

Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
    pearl2
    (female)

pearl2 HB User

What is pico salax, and how is it taken?

Old 05-26-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User

It's new.
    From a handout for patients using it:

FOUR DAYS BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT, if time allows, stop seeds and nuts (in breads, fruit, tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, watermelon, etc.). Also stop the aspirin and anticoagulants.

THE DAY BEFORE YOUR COLONOSCOPY - have only clear, colourless fluids up until your appointment. Avoid milk products and anything else that you can't see through. Then,

Take 1st packet of Pico-Salax at about 8 am - mix it in a 5 oz. glass of cold water. If it heats up let it cool first before drinking. You must continue to stir while drinking the glass of water to ensure all the laxative has dissolved. Drink one glass of room temperature water each hour over the next three hours. Most people will have 3-6 watery bowel movements, usually without urgently rushing to the washroom.

Take 2nd packet of Pico-Salax at about 5 pm - mix it in a 5 oz. glass of cold water. You must continue to stir while drinking the glass of water to ensure all the laxative has dissolved properly. Drink one glass of room temperature water each hour over the next three hours.
    --------------------------------------------

lots of precautions about anticoagulants. This suggests that a side effect is
    possible GI bleeding.

Old 06-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #5
    cartman4
    (female)

cartman4 HB User

hi, I was glad to see this post as I have recently read some horror stories and was going to cancel my colonoscopy. Weere you awake? I wanted to be awake but somewhat sedated but am afraid of pain? Everyone on these posts are so helpful. I am happy that your problem turned out to be not serious. Thanks again for the info

Closed Thread