It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• What is the "best" Prep

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #1
    pgta5

pgta5 HB User
    What is the "best" Prep

Hello all! My mom is scheduling a colonoscopy and has a hard time w/ dehydration under normal circumstances. I was hoping you could share which prep you felt was the "easiest". I know she should drink gatorade, clear broths, juice, etc.

Thanks in advance!
    ~P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User
    Re: What is the "best" Prep

Golytly is the 4 liter(one gallon) prep that tastes like swamp water and causes some(me included, once) to throw up sometimes. It isn't bad for electrolyte or water loss though as long as you do continue clear liquids as well.

Fleet phospha soda tatses really bad but is only a few centiliters(ounces) and can be thumped back real quick. It plays he11 with electrolytes and water balance. One must be very conscientious about drinking clear liquids and especially those which help electrolyte levels stay up.

There is a new one called pico salex which apparently tastes actually good. There is a warning that goes with it about discontinueing anti-coagulants prior to use though. So no aspirin, for instance before using it. This may mean that it is hard on the upper gastro tract. If you have an ulcer it may not be good for you.

Any prep is designed to flush you out and in doing so a lot of water is taken out of you. You must replace those fluids while doing the prep.

Last edited by jaydees; 06-08-2005 at 08:30 PM.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
    habitue
    (female)

habitue HB User

My mom has had a few surgeries for which flushing out was necessary, and a colonoscopy earlier this year too. She absolutely hates Colyte (GoLytly) and talked to her pharmacist about alternative methods. He recommended taking two teaspoons of castor oil & then two teaspoons of orange juice. Even though castor oil is nasty, it is only two teaspoons full rather than an entire gallon of the other stuff. It worked like a charm.

If your mom wants to try this method, definitely have her check with a doctor or pharmacist first to make sure they approve it and it will get her "clean" enough for her specific procedure- but it was something my mom definitely preferred.

-Habitue

Old 06-09-2005, 02:55 AM   #4
    ktee_uk
    Inactive
    (female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi
    Husband and mother have always been prescribed Picolax here in the UK. It doesnt taste particularly good but is quick and effective.

The following link is typical info that our British NHS gives out to patients for colonoscopies and includes info on what you can and cannot eat drink the week before the procedure. Hope it helps.
    http://www.christie.nhs.uk/patientinfo/booklets/TextBooklets/colonoscopy/colonoscopy.htm

I did read a report on effectiveness of colonoscopies from the point of view of bowel prep, percentage of bowel seen, pain level experienced by patient, etc and it is really important to use a good prep. If you want to vary from the professionals recommendation then I think it would be wise to check it out with them first as it may affect how much they will be able to see.

regards
    ktee

Last edited by ktee_uk; 06-09-2005 at 02:59 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:28 AM   #5
    RDnFLA
    (male)

RDnFLA HB User

After a brief online search I discovered Braintree Laboratories, Braintree, MA manufactures two different preps. First, there was GoLytely, and now there is HalfLytely. GoLytely, as stated earlier in this thread, requires the consumption of 4-liters (1 gallon) liquid prep. Halflytely requires the consumption of 2-liters (1/2 gallon) of liquid prep preceeded by 4-tablets.

I have not used either so I don't know if there is any improvement in taste. I have a prescription for HalfLytely for when the day comes.

--RD

P.S. Thank you ktee for the link! Reading it now.

Last edited by RDnFLA; 06-09-2005 at 07:11 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:32 AM   #6
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User

Halflytly nice name. Let us know what it is like.

For a barium enema I was given a large dose of castor oil about 4 tablespoons.(tastes bad but not THAT bad(like a lipstick taste)) to be followed by a large dose of senna based laxitive and lots of liquids of my choice. It does the job BUT leaves a chocolate brown stain on the bowel so it isn't good for a colonoscopy where the surgeon must be able to see the natural coloring of the bowel, but is OK for a barium enema which is an x-ray picture of the bowel.

Old 06-10-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
    justkatesmom
    (female)

justkatesmom HB User

Just wanted to let you all know that I used halflytely(sp) a couple of months ago for my first colonoscopy. It is lemon-lime flavored and isn't exactly delicious but definitely tolerable!! I have a quick gag reflex and was able to keep it down without any problems at all. It's about 8 juice glasses which is what I used. Also, instead of drinking a glass every 10 minutes, I waited about 20 and that seemed to help. I got cleaned out enough even doing it that way. Honestly, I didn't drink the last glass or so and it was still enough. Hope that this helps!!

Old 06-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
    RDnFLA
    (male)

RDnFLA HB User

justkatesmom:

Thank you for the information. I'm happy to know you endured the prep HalfLytely without problems. I too have a sensitive gag nerve, so bad in fact my dentist often dreaded seeing me walk in the door. I will certainly follow your suggestions when the time comes to gulp down the prep.

Here's a funny thought: There are several companies around our town who conduct product surveys. They bring in a group of volunteers and pay them to taste test new fruit juice blends, Jelly, mouthwash and such. I'd like to see them do a taste test for colon preps! Imagine the chaos?

Regards to All,
    --RD

Last edited by RDnFLA; 06-10-2005 at 07:40 AM.

Old 06-18-2005, 03:18 PM   #9
    CASSIEBEL
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I am surprised no one mentioned the pills. They are so much easier. You still have to drink a gallon of clear liquid BUT it is your choice. It can be water, apple juice, clear soda (sprite) ginger ale, ect.
    SOOOO much easier than that nasty liquid and just as effective. The pills are rather large ( about the size of a vitamin tab ) and you have to take a lot of them but still the better choice for folks who have trouble with the nasty stuff (like me )
    Cass

Old 06-22-2005, 09:21 PM   #10
    RDnFLA
    (male)

RDnFLA HB User

Ref: HalyLytely Prep Kit

Well, I used it, and as justkatesmom pointed out earlier, it wasn't all that bad.

I was surprised to learn HalfLytely is expensive, around $60 in most local drug stores. I took the 4 tablets at 10:00 A.M., followed by drinking the liquid at 3:00 P.M. The powder, mixed with ˝ gallon of water and chilled was, much to my surprise, almost tasteless. Imagine a very weak and watered down lemon – lime soda with a hint of Alka Selzer-like flavor, without the fizz.

For me the tablets began working around the 90 minute mark and wore off within 2-hours. The liquid however, is deceptive. It will, I discovered, sneak up on you. You’ll drink and drink and nothing happens, then suddenly, without warning, it’s a mad dash; about a dozen dashes actually, lasting well up to bedtime.

I began feeling blah after taking the tablets, felt like I had swallowed a brick, but a few sips of clear broth cleared it up within minutes. Everything considered, I'd do it again without hesitation, should the need arise.

Once the prep began I no longer had any desire for food, not even the next morning.

--RD

Last edited by RDnFLA; 06-23-2005 at 04:50 AM.

Closed Thread