It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• what does ct result mean????????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-15-2005, 03:51 AM   #1
    maria_z
    (female)

maria_z HB User
    what does ct result mean????????

Hope someone can explain in plain english the results of my darling husband's ct scan results.

Results of ct scan as below

In the chest, no enlarged hilar nor mediastinal nodes. No enlarged supraclavicular nodes.
    Within the prostetior left lung base there is a tiny 2mm subpleural nodule. This is indeterminate at this stage. No other focal lung mass. No pleural disease or fluid.
    Within the liver, there are multiple low density masses. The largest lesions mesasure 3.0 x 3.2cm within segment 8, 4.3 x 3.5c within segment 5 and 4.2 x 2.5 cm within the inferior aspect of segment 6.
    There is gross enlargement of the rectum with stranding in the peri-rectal fat and thickening of the peri-rectal fascia. There is circumferential wall thinckening invloving the entire elngth of the rectum and the distal sigmoid colon. In the right para-rectal soft tissues there is an ill-defined soft tissue mass measuring 3.0x2.0cm. This most likely represent an enlarged nodal mass.

Sorry to put such a large post up but I'm desperate to understand the results in layman terms. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2005, 09:55 AM   #2
    ktee_uk
    Inactive
    (female)

ktee_uk HB User
    Re: what does ct result mean????????

Hi Maria

Sorry you are having a hard time understanding the notes. They are of course best discussed with your doctors but its great that you are asking for our thoughts as they may prompt you to discuss them with your docs and gain a better understanding.

As I understand it, the subpleural nodule may refer to a small lump detected one the outside of the lining/membrane of the lung (the pleura). They are often not associated with cancer but of course you are going to worry about it until the docs tell you otherwise. Husband has some on his lung but this is assocated (they think) to pleurasy and/or smoking from about 20 years ago.

The liver is divided into 8 segments. The ones you mention are in the right side of the liver. This is the largest lobe. The jargon still confuses me...... low density masses, lessions? This is a big worry for you. The doctors scared the pants off me when they explained the situation for my husband.... they said time was of the essence so my advise to you would be to make sure the doctors have a plan of how to tackle this one. They wont do anything though until after a primary tumor is sorted (so they told us anyway). But please make sure you ask them.

I am not so certain about the terminology used for the colon mass although some of the terminology i think refers to the lymph system.

When are you going to see the docs next? You will have lots of questions for them. Let us know if you want any suggestions or help with this. There is a lot for you both to cope with and it is good to share.

good luck and take care
    ktee

Old 06-17-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
    maria_z
    (female)

maria_z HB User

Ktee, thank you for your explanation, it has helped immensely. My husband has never smoked that's why I was a bit worried about the spot on the lung.

I have since spoken to the oncologist and he has explained re the liver mets so I am a little more enlightened now (although very scared)

My husband has had been on chemo 24/7 (5FU) for the past 6 weeks and has had radiotherapy 5 days a week for the past 6 weeks.

Initially our surgeon suggested that the best course of action would be to have the above treatments and once the treatments were finished they would concentrate on removing the tumour on the bowel (unfortunately the tumour is quite large and is stuck to the bowel wall so they were unable to see anything with his first op, I'm not sure what the surgery was called, but the surgeon explained it's where they place a lens on a tube inside, but the tumour blocked the lens and they were unable to get the lens past the tumour), and then concentrate on my husbands liver.

We return to the surgeon on Thursday 23rd of June (my husband is having another CT scan on Tuesday so as to ascertain whether the chemo/radiotherapy has been successful).

We remain hopeful that surgery is possible to remove the tumour on the bowel.

We have a great support network in both our families and friends but sometimes it feels that noone knows excactly the feelings we are going through, that's why finding this board has been such a godsend to me.

My husband's preference is to know as little as possible, but I'm the complete opposite and I find it frustrating at times because he won't discuss his treatment and has decided to just go along with the doctors without question, whereas I believe we should question the doctors as much as possible and then decide which course of action to take.

Sorry to ramble on.

Maria_z

Old 06-17-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

Hi Maria, I think many men prefer not to know too much so it is good when the wives or partners take on the responsibility of finding out as much as possible. I am not sure we are always popular with the doctors but what the heck! we have to be knowledgeable to make sure our loved ones are getting the best care ever. We also need to know what to look out for in case of complications. I used to harass our doctors quite often when my husband was going through treatment, but I have no regrets. I am glad you have found the board...it is a great help to all of us.

Keep us posted on how things go.

Best,

Old 06-17-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Now, Now Alison.... Don't make me have the Men gang up on you two! Especially on Father's Day Weekend!

Hope all is well.

Love,
    CDad

Old 06-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
    maria_z
    (female)

maria_z HB User

Thanks for responding so quickly, it's such a comfort knowing that we are not alone in all of this.

I know that I have to ask the doctors questions, but to be honest, it's difficult to know what sort of questions to ask. I have no qualms about asking the doctors questions so that we can look at all the options, but what questions do I ask?

The last time I spoke to the colerectal surgeon I asked lots of questions but I didn't really get any definitive answers (or perhaps I didn't like what the answers were so I chose to to call them undefinitive answers).

I would really appreciate some feedback as to what sort of questions to ask on our next visit on Thursday.

I'm sorry if I post too many questions on here but I find so much solace from this board (especially as my husband prefers not to know too much) and the knowledge that I have as a result of this board has given me hope for my darling husbands future.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:08 PM   #7
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maria_z
    I'm sorry if I post too many questions on here but I find so much solace from this board (especially as my husband prefers not to know too much) and the knowledge that I have as a result of this board has given me hope for my darling husbands future.

Maria:
    First off, don't EVER apologize for asking questions on this board. That is why we are here. One big happy family here to help each other through this nightmare!

Secondly, instead of offering up questions, which we will do push come to shove for you by Thursday, have you gotten any reading material? When I was first diagnosed, that was the first thing I did after getting over the shock. I went right to the library and bookstore and got books to learn as much as I could. One in particular is from the monahan center in NY, or the doctors that run the place entitled "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Colorectal Cancer...new tests, new testaments, new hope" by Mark Bennett Pochapin, MD.

Surgeons like to talk in circles. They do their best work in the operating room and typically don't have the best personality. You need to look them in the eye when you go in with your list of questions and make them answer your question... the more informed you are, the more you will understand. If you don't understand something... tell the surgeon to explain it for you in layman's terms.

Some questions to ask that I borrowed from the book:
    "What treatment are you recommending?"
    "Could you describe the treatment or procedure for me?"
    "Why are you recommending this treatment?"
    "What are the goals of this treatment?"
    "What is the success rate of this treatment?"
    "What side effects can I expect?"
    "How can these side effects be minimized or treated?"

I would seriously recommend you to get some books though and read up, and however we can help.... just ask.

My Best To Your Husband. Welcome to the Boards Maria. I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

Warm Regards,
    CancerDad

Old 06-18-2005, 12:53 AM   #8
    maria_z
    (female)

maria_z HB User

Cancer Dad,

Thank you for your post. I have read most of your story on the board and I am encouraged by your outlook.

I will take your advise and find some books on the subject. I have done a bit of research on the web, but I hadn't thought of buying reading material.

I'm not sure how available the book is that you recommended (in australia), but I will certainly try and find it.

Thanks for the suggested questions...... I have made a note of them and will certainly ask them on our next visit on Thursday.
    Take Care

Maria_z

Old 06-18-2005, 12:05 PM   #9
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Maria:
    You can always go on ****** or another bookseller online and I'm CERTAIN you can find it... the only problem is you can rack up some $ buying books... the one I referenced goes for $25.95 American... Check the library first.

Also, Med School Libraries are VERY helpful. They want to help you get info. May want to give that a try.

BEST OF LUCK,
    CancerDad

Old 06-18-2005, 07:20 PM   #10
    edinaman
    Inactive
    (male)

edinaman HB User

Maria, I agree with CancerDad about what questions to ask. Also, write them down in a notebook and bring it with to the appointment. The doctor may give you a lot of information and that should be written down. Usually there is too much to remember and your mind is worrying about so many things that you don't always remember what was said, or you may hear something one way and your husband hears it another way. Don't be afraid to ask questions, it is the only way to learn. Best of luck to you and your husband.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
    Mazrose
    Veteran
    (female)

Mazrose HB User

Maria
    Im from oz too.. Have u asked "The Cancer Council" Im in Victoria and they have soooo many prublications on Bowel cancer and all FREE. They aslo have a contact telephone number: 131120.
    Also Im doing an 8 week course"Lviing with Cancer" and it such a supportive and informative group session held 2 hrs every week.
    Goodluck
    Maz

Closed Thread