It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• ileostomy or other choices

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #1
    stvyboywnd
    (male)

stvyboywnd HB User
    ileostomy or other choices

Hey, I'm new to this board! A friend pointed me in this direction after my most recent colonoscopy.

So here is the deal ... I am a 39 years old male and have been diagnosed with UC for well over 20 years. For much of this time my UC has been in remission. I have had scopes done on a regular basis over this time. My most recent scope was done a little over two weeks ago, the one prior to that was done three years ago, During this three year time frame, most of the time not having much trouble with my UC (several minor flare ups but nothing serious), a malignant tumor has developed. I have had a CT scan and by all appearances the cancer is confined to the colon. My Dr. and the referring surgeon recommend the entire colon be removed and I get an ileostomy. I am scheduled for a 2nd opinion with a surgeon but in the meantime would like to know other peoples experience with an ileostomy. My primary Dr. assures me my like will get much better. I will feel better overall and will be able to live a normal life with the ileostomy. I can still go to the gym and do just about everything I did prior to the surgery.

There have been other procedures that the surgeon talked about but recommended against them due to my history with UC. The internal sack, no ileostomy, was one option. Has anyone had this done and what is life like now?

Just trying to deal with it and get as much info as possible before making the decision.

Thanks and you will be hearing from me again!!

Steve

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2005, 03:25 PM   #2
    Mazrose
    Veteran
    (female)

Mazrose HB User
    Re: ileostomy or other choices

Hi Steve...
    and welcome to the family Sorry the reason your here, but we are all here to help and support everyone. I have an ileostomy, but its a temporary one. Ive had it since Feb this year to be reversed next month. Yes u will be able to still do everything as before and really its no big hassle. My only problem is self esteem I hate the look of it and my body now but apart from that everything I used to do I still do now.
    You may have leaks at some time, but even those you can deal with.. U become very aware of it and know when things arent quite right. Also I cant eat popcorn or peanuts but apart from that most other things are fine. Also be aware of diahorea,,, as this can happen quickly but my doctors gave me pills for when the stool gets too loose.

Goodluck with the surgery and keep us posted.
    Take care
    Maz

Closed Thread