It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Getting scared. Is there any "safe" stabbing pain in the colon?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM   #1
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User
    Getting scared. Is there any "safe" stabbing pain in the colon?

I have made an appointment to see my MD but that isn't for another 5 days. I posted earlier that the problem was lower GI pain due to spicy food. That really doesn't make any sense. That spicy meal was 3 days ago. I have had numerous regular BM s since then and I have been unable to find reference to food related pain in that part of the body except for Diverticulitis which I know I don't have.

I had a Barium enema and did a Fecal Occult test last month because I found a bit of blood on the toilet paper. Everything came back negative and the MD though maybe a small internal fissure or hemmoroid. I know these tests are not that reliable though, and while the blood may have been nothing the tests give me zero confidence.

Three days ago I got a stabbing pain in my colon. It only lasted for a few seconds but I had never had it before. I am quite aware of the location because the Barium air test lets you feel exactly where it runs. During the test I felt a bit of pain at maximum inflation in about the same place I feel it today. Two days ago I got a few little jabs in the same area, and yesterday the pain was a little more dull. It almost felt like it wasn't in the same spot and I started thinking maybe a blocked ureter or kidney stone or even a hernia. Then today I had the jabbing pain back almost all afternoon, not excruciating, but pretty constant. When I search this topic here or on the web the results all seem to point back to colon cancer. Stabbing pain in the left colon = very bad news.

Does anyone know of any more benign reason for this type of stabbing pain? I am almost hoping for ulcerative colitis. I am a 45 year old male with no family history of bowel cancer. No diahrea or signs of blood in the stool. I am strong and there has been no changes in my weight(I go to the gym three days a week).

From you who are in the know, what do you think? Does this match your own story?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2005, 07:14 PM   #2
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User
    Re: Getting scared. Is there any "safe" stabbing pain in the colon?

I had rectal cancer dx'd at age 45. I never had any pain whatsoever at any time.

Have you ever had a colonoscopy? If so how long ago?

Pain in the lower abdomen though could be from many causes, you have mentioned a few. I am not sure, by what you have posted, if you felt this pain at all before the barium enema. The air injected during a BE stretchs the colon and it is possible that one part was stretched more than it should have. The colon may still be affected by this especially when a larger portion of feces passes by that spot which would be further exacerbated by strong spices that tend to stimulate the colon's peristalsis(contractions that move contents along).

That said you are certainly in the range of age where a colonoscopy screening is in order. This test is slightly invasive, no cutting is involved of course but an instrument is inserted into the body, namely a long flexible tube with a camera. The preparation for this test is similar to that for the barium enema, a bowel cleansing, though for a colonoscopy it is more thourough.

Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

Thanks Jaydees. The stretching thing is exactly what I was thinking when they did it to me. I am trying to get my appointment moved up to today. I have a couple of other things happening that have me concerned. The soreness in my left pelvic area has returned a few times along with kind of a cold discomfort going a few inches down my left left at the groin, and sometimes behind my left buttock. Also kind of a full bladder feeling right above my pubic bone. Not pain really but all seeming to be radiating from the descending colon area, It almost makes me think the bowel could be leaking. The colon pain itself is almost gone except for the occasional twinge of discomfort. Stool remains clear of blood although greenish the last couple of days. I am a little bit bloated which I had blamed on the dairy I eat but stopping the milk hasn't helped.
    No appetite now but that may be stress related. I always expect the worst.
    Thanks very much for your response.

Last edited by Perry2; 12-02-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User

The 'cold' feeling suggests a nerve problem, so does the full bladder feeling.(I have assumed you to be male)
    The nerves to the genitals and bladder run right behind the colon as do the nerves to the pelvis and legs. If there was stretching then it could have pushed on those nerves. I

If the colon was leaking internally you would be experiencing extreme pain, fever and lethargy.

Mention the pelvic pain and coldness to the doctor. If you have had any problems urinating(difficulty 'getting started', leaking between trips to the toilet, urgency to urinate that is more often than before) then that would also suggest pressure on the nerves(or prostrate).

Old 12-07-2005, 09:25 AM   #5
    Perry2
    (male)

Perry2 HB User

Saw the Doc and was diagnosed with IBS. The symptoms all fit perfectly, and the reporting of pain or discomfort in the left groin area is common for males. The link to IBS and stress is fundamental, and once I knew what was wrong my stress level dropped and the symptoms became less acute.
    Thanks for the response

Closed Thread