It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Doctor said just live with it

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
    nokoBot
    Veteran
    (male)

nokoBot HB User
    Doctor said just live with it

Hi all
    i told the doc about my rectal pain and blood and she said it might just be anal fissures, and i asked her what i should do, and she said you can't do anything about it, just live with it

This is my story:
    -since about 2002 had pain in rectum, at random times. it's sharp and wow, it hurts
    -blood in stool, bright red.. and most times appears in the toilet paper when i wipe. but sometimes it has appeared in the toilet water
    -i used to drink lots of milk, and beans meat, etc. and junk

What do yu guys say, is the doc right about saying what she said?

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2006, 07:36 PM   #2
    july181998
    (female)

july181998 HB User
    Re: Doctor said just live with it

Let me get this right. You've been having all of these symptoms since 2002? Well, if that is true, you should definitely change doctors, and get a colonoscopy as soon as possible. That is the only way to rule out anything else besides the anal fissure that your doc seem to think that you have. Doctors are not always 100% sure about your health, especially this doctor. If your gut instinct is telling you otherwise, then you need to have this checked out.

Good luck and keep us posted.

July

Old 03-03-2006, 08:30 PM   #3
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

I second July... you NEED to self-refer to a GI on your own. GET A COLONOSCOPY. My internist kept telling me all was ok when I complained of bleeding at just 28... well I finally self-referred and was diagnosed with rectal cancer, stage 3C, at 31. Not to scare you, but bleeding is NOT normal, no matter what your primary tells you. You will feel much better knowing the EXACT cause of your bleeding by getting a colonoscopy. If it is something serious, the sooner you know, the better for treatment.

Good Luck and PLEASE keep us posted.

Regards,
    CancerDad

Old 03-04-2006, 05:15 AM   #4
    GarynFlorida
    (male)

GarynFlorida HB User

You're doctor ought to be strung up, tarred, and feathred. I'm with CancerDad and July. Get a referral, self referral, or whatever it takes to get the colonoscopy. Take charge of your health care. Don't be afraid to be "anal" about it. I had a very similar situation to CancerDad and got downright nasty with the people at my primary care physician's office just to get into the GI doctor sooner.

Old 03-04-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
    sammypt
    (female)

sammypt HB User

I totally agree too. I was blown off by doctors in the ER and even the gastroenterologist because of my young age, they told me I had hemmhroids, and it turns out I had a tumor stage IIB, greatly to their suprise. Don't let them talk you out of the test that would truly give you a definitve answer and then better know how to treat whatever the problem is. Good luck and definitely get another doctor.

Old 03-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #6
    jaydees
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

jaydees HB User

I add my voice to the above calls for a visit to a gastroentrologist, or a colo-rectal surgeon or even a proctologist and that a colonoscopy is in order.

What you are describing I had many years ago and at that time it was simply a hemmerhoid with internal scar tissue in it that caused all the pain and ruputring. The doc lanced it( yeah not nice but it cured the problem)
    and put me on antibiotics for a week to avoid infections.

Of course bleeding can also be a sign of more serious things and for that reason the colonoscopy is a good idea even if it does turn out that your main problem is hemmerhoids.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
    Mazrose
    Veteran
    (female)

Mazrose HB User

Im the reverse to every post on here so far. I went with bleeding, told it was a haemoroid, BUT my gp wanted me to go see a GI just to make sure.. I owe my life to him now Im thinking as I was diagnosed with stage2+... I think we have better doctors in Australia maybe.

Get a colonoscopy for sure.
    Maz

Old 03-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #8
    bossan
    Inactive
    (male)

bossan HB User

If there is any way possible to email your docs, copy some of these notes and let them read them, see what they say. If that won't work, make hard copies and have them in hand for the next appoinment.

Old 03-06-2006, 06:30 AM   #9
    gocatsgo
    Veteran
    (female)

gocatsgo HB User

Just thought I would chime in and echo everyone's response. Even if it is "just a fissure" there are medications they can give you to relieve the pain and help them heal... Shame on your doctor for not helping you out. Go for a colonoscopy ASAP.

Good luck to you!
    Cats

Closed Thread