It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• blood in stool, left quadrant pain (my friend)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
    searchandrescue
    (female)

searchandrescue HB User
    blood in stool, left quadrant pain (my friend)

Hi all, hope things are going well for everyone.

My friend has had terrible upper left side pain and has noticed dark red blood in her stool. There is times she is so sick she can't even get out of bed and sleeps for days at a time. She has also been bloating in the stomach as if she were 9 months pregnant. I know she can't have a bowel movement on her own. She has been to er's and family doctors and no one will do anything for her, she needs help bad. I am used to seeing her walk everday and very active but in the past few months she is so weak. I try to be there for her but that is all I can do. I have seen her lab work and her white blood count is elevated and red blood count is way below normal. I'd say that is why she is so weak. My concern is could she have cancer?

I know it's possible that it could be a hemroid but she says she has had them in the past and it's not the same. She is my best friend in the whole world and i want the best for her and to get better. She is 32 I am not sure if she would be too young to have colon cancer or not. I was told that only men get it and women do after the age of 50

someone please give me some information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2006, 06:46 AM   #2
    gocatsgo
    Veteran
    (female)

gocatsgo HB User
    Re: blood in stool, left quadrant pain (my friend)

Hi,

First of all, your friend is lucky to have you. Sounds like she is in a lot of pain. I'm not sure why here docs are ignoring her... Has your friend had a colonoscopy?? If not she needs one ASAP. That is the best way to figure out what is going on. I am 32 (female) as well and have rectal cancer, so there is no such thing as too young. There are many things other than cancer, too, but she really needs that colonoscopy. It is a painless procedure (they drug you up nicely)...the prep is sometimes hard, but it is worth it. With early detection this kind of cancer has great cure rates...

I cannot stress enough that she find a new doc, get a referral to a GI and get scheduled for that colonoscopy ASAP!

Good luck and keep us posted.

Take care,
    Cats

Last edited by gocatsgo; 04-24-2006 at 06:47 AM.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:00 AM   #3
    CancerDad
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

CancerDad HB User

Hi:
    Cats is absolutely right. The only thing that I would add in is the fact that she is having dark blood which indicates bleeding higher in the GI tract. So don't be surprised if the GI suggests an upper endoscopy as well (usually done at the same time) which also allows her to be drugged up so she doesn't feel or remember most of it.

Good Luck.

~CancerDad

Old 04-24-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
    Mazrose
    Veteran
    (female)

Mazrose HB User

I too cant understand why the doctors arent doing anything for her. AND definately she needs a colonoscopy.!! BTW I am female, just turned 45... I had Stage11..
    Goodluck for you and your friend.
    Maz

Closed Thread