It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Colon Polyp

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #1
    dma11663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dma11663 HB User
    Colon Polyp

My friend's mom is waiting on results from a 2cm flat colon polyp they found about a week ago. She is 80 years old. Can someone advise as to size, shape, etc. what the likelihood of this polyp being cancer is? HOW LONG DO TEST RESULTS USUALLY TAKE? Also, how often is a colonoscopy advised for an older woman of this age?

Also, she is going to need surgery. Can you please advise me about the procedure as well. What do they do exactly?

A response asap would be appreciated, as my friend is anxiously awaiting any information that could help her through this.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User
    Re: Colon Polyp

DM-
    There is no way for me to tell you whether the polyp the doctor found is cancerous, precancerous or benign. Polyps can look cancerous and return as benign and vice versa. I've had two polyps removed and my dr. told me after the colonoscopy that they appeared to be "ok", however, when the results came in (about a week later) he and I both were shocked to find out they were pre-cancerous.

You mentioned that she will be having a surgery? What kind of surgery? A colon resection, or what? If so, then has some kind of dx already been made?

There are recommendations as to how often people should have colonoscopies. It's best to speak with the doctor about this. Since colon cancer runs in my mother's side of the family and I've had 2 pre-cancerous polyps removed already, I have one done every 2 years even though at 37 years old, the normal need is every 5 years.

I hope the polyp removed is benign, but even if for some reason it's not, most colon cancers are slow growing and if caught early or in the pre-cancerous stages is very curable.

Good Luck! Keep us posted!

Lezlee

Old 07-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
    dma11663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dma11663 HB User

Thank you for responding so quickly. I am on the phone now with my friend. There has not been a diagnosis made yet, the primary care dr. said from the size of it she will need surgery. They don't know the extent yet.

What does precancerous mean for you? Treatment?

Thank you!

Old 07-12-2006, 02:29 PM   #4
    ozzybug
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

DM-
    Pre-cancerous for me means that I run a risk of developing colon cancer, so precautions are taken such as as my having colonoscopies every 2 years instead of every 5 years. This is by my choice. I'd rather have a scope and make sure all is well every 2 years than wait for 5 years and end up with a polyp that is actually cancerous.

No treatment needed. Because of the type of pre-cancerous polyp that was removed, the removal of that polyp is the treatment. I also suffer from IBS, so I already try and include plenty of fiber, vegies and water in my diet.

I do hope everything turns out with your friends mom. It sounds like they will be doing a colon resection which means taking out the part of the colon that is affected by the polyp and then re-connecting it. Of course, I'm sure this all depends on what the results of the polyp biopsy are. Tell your friend good luck for her mom and her both!

Lezlee

Old 07-13-2006, 02:32 AM   #5
    smeggle
    (female)

smeggle HB User

my husband had a flat polyp which was inbedded into the bowel wall, they couldnt remove through a colonoscopies, 2 weeks agao he had a bowel resection done. the polyp was pre cancerious ,he has had 12 removed in the last 2 years. some if left would have turned to cancer and he now will have a colonoscopy every 6 months as a precaution. the drs have told us that in the future he might lose the rest of his large bowel. good luck with everything

Old 07-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
    dma11663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dma11663 HB User

Hi,

We are waiting still on results. I think my friend should hear something tomorrow (she will call the doctor). I won't be around tomorrow, as I have to take my mom for a digestive procedure at the hospital but I will write more when I can. I want to thank you all for your help and I will let you know the outcome. I hope we hear good news.

My own mom has a procedure tomorrow so I will ask you to keep her in her thoughts and prayers!

Thank you and I'll update you all when I can. Good luck to you too!

DM

Old 07-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
    dma11663
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

dma11663 HB User

Good News

My Friend's Mom's Polyp Is Benign! We Are Very Happy. She Still Must Have Surgery To Remove It But It Isn't Cancerous. The Doctor Said Today That It Would Take About 2 Years To Become Malignent But They Want It Out Soon.

Thanks For All Your Support.

Good Luck To Everyone.

Dma

Closed Thread