It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #1
Kathy Sue
(female)

Kathy Sue HB User
Smile Question

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get the results back from a colonoscopy? The GI told me he will send the results to my doctor. If they see something will they let me know right then?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #2
Nassau one
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Question

I know here that they tell you right away. If they take any polyps for biopsy, then you would have to wait for the results but if there is a definite tumour, they can recognize that and will tell you. I am sure soemone in the US will confirm if this is usual practice there.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
Mom2ntn
(female)

Mom2ntn HB User

My GI doctor told me right away what he had found and what he suspectd. Of course, this was on a Friday! I had to wait until Tuesday for the biopsy to be done by the pathologist. What a LONG weekend that was! So, by Tues. I knew that I was positive for colon cancer.
That's here in Tennessee, I don't know how it's done by other practices.

Good luck on the results!
Carol B

Old 09-24-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Windyblaze
Inactive
(female)

Windyblaze HB User

I knew my results when I was still on the table in the exam room.....The doctor told me what he found, and said that he was 99% sure that it was cancer, and even sent me back to my room with a picture of it! The actual pathology report came a few days later....no surprise there......I hope you results are better than mine were....

Windy

Old 09-24-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Annie57
(female)

Annie57 HB User

I was told the day of my colonoscopy what had been done and what the doctor suspected. I had 2 polyups removed and he was pretty certain one was cancer. I was given a picture of the suspect polyup to bring to the surgeon. He told me I needed surgery.

I had to wait about five days for the final pathology but I knew the day of the test by the doctors comments. I am in Canada and from what I know resutls are made available (without final pathology ) the day of the test.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #6
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User

I concur with everyone else. My first colonoscopy, I was told they found cancer before they wheeled me back to recovery. While I was suppose to wait a week for the final pathology report, I got the wheels going the next day.

The next yr, my surgeon told me I was CLEAN after that colonoscopy, I still remember kicking the table (for JOY) while still in the procedure room.

This last procedure, I don't remember talking to my surgeon after the procedure, yet my husband says I was telling him everything the surgeon told me follow it. I have no memory of talking to husband either. Seems my surgeon removed two polyps this last go around. Per my husband, everything was expected to be fine. A week later, I got a call that confirmed it.

I suspect if it's anything serious you will be notified earlier, and not later.

Lee

Closed Thread