It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Blood in stool?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Danialla
(female)

Danialla HB User
Blood in stool?

I have noticed veins of blood running through my stool lately.

Anyway, I am scheduled for a colonoscopy, but just wondered if anyone else has had this, and what it turned out to be...

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
CancerDad
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User
Re: Blood in stool?

Danialla:
Welcome. Though I am sorry about the circumstances. Congratulations for scheduling a colonoscopy. This is the ONLY WAY to determine what is causing the bleeding, and REALLY is a very simple procedure. The hardest part is the prep. Use plenty of diaper ointment, try to eat lightly for a day or two before beginning prep, and make sure to replace fluids lost with plenty of water or electrolyte solution,,, pedialyte, a sports drink, etc.

The procedure itself should be painless... if you do experience ANY discomfort, make certain to speak up and tell them so they can give you more medication.

There are MANY reasons for blood in your stool... a fissure of tear someone around your rectum or anus. Other causes could be polyps, which will be removed during the colonoscopy. The MAIN reason for checking is to make sure it's not something more serious such as colorectal cancer. Even pre-cancerous polyps can be removed without further problems, besides perhaps more frequent follow-up colonoscopies.

Again, I'm glad you brought your concerns to us here at the Board. Please don't hesitate to ask ANY questions, and PLEASE come back and let us know your results after your procedure.

Best of luck!
~CancerDad~

Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User
Re: Blood in stool?

I am glad you are getting this checked out, Blood in my stools was my only symptom. Doctor confirmed I had hemmeroids, he figured this symptom would be a good excuse to get my baseline done early in life (age 46). It was a shock to everyone that I had cancer. Because my brother had off and on bleeding for yrs, they got him in 2 weeks later. He was clean except for thoses bleed hemmeroids.

Chances are your symptom is caused by something else other than cancer.

Many yrs ago, my mother was admitted into the hospital for severe abdomial pain. doctor was 99% sure she had colon cancer. She gave off alot of symptoms associated with colon cancer. Colonoscopy would confirm she had a bad case of diverticulus. While she also had the hemerroids, she had no polyps/cancer.

Bottom line, it is good you are getting this check out but chances are it is NOT cancer.

Good luck,

Lee

Closed Thread