It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Colonoscopy tomorrow and scared

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-27-2006, 08:28 AM   #1
kmg126
(female)

kmg126 HB User
Colonoscopy tomorrow and scared

I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow for some bleeding I was having (for more than a year which now has seemed to have cleared up!). I'm doing the prep today and I know that alone can be miserable. I'm really nervous about the procedure tomorrow. I'd really like to hear from some people that have had it done as to what I can expect. Also any suggestions or advice would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
purplehat
(female)

purplehat HB User
Re: Colonoscopy tomorrow and scared

Hi Karen

I am new to this board and this is my first post so thank you for helping me enter virgin territory! I hope I can help you.

I can understand you being scared about your colonoscopy tomorrow but, having had two such procedures in as many years, I promise you it really is not too bad. I'm sure you have had the procedure explained to you but this, if it helps, is my personal experience.

You are gowned up and shown into the treatment room by a nurse and asked to lay on your side in a semi-foetal position. The consultant gives you a small injection into your vein (in my case, in my hand) which, in his words, is the equivalent of a large sherry! Good description - within a few moments you become very drowsy and relaxed but still vaguely aware of your surroundings and able to follow instructions.

I can honestly say I was not really aware of the tube being inserted and have only a vague memory of what followed. The TV screen the consultant views as he carries out the procedure is within your vision so you may see what he sees - quite interesting! - but you may not remember it. I'm told the procedure takes anything from 10 to 30 minutes but it did not feel this long at all for me.

Any pain you experience may be due to a kink in the colon as the tube is passed through, otherwise I found it uncomfortable but that is all.

Afterwards, you are taken back to your room on the trolley and left to sleep for an hour or so. You can then have a cup of tea and a sandwich and, as in my case, the consultant will visit to discuss the findings.

I hope this helps
Good luck

Old 09-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Glenn40
(male)

Glenn40 HB User

Hi Karen,
For me the Prep was the worst part, I used coltye. Its a pwoder that you mix with a gallon of water and drink quickly. It takes me about 5 hours to get it all down. About half way thru the consumption process I am pretty much cleaned out. Whew!!!!!!

My colonocspy went very smoothly, I was awake and watched the monitor for the whole procedure. No pain or discomfort at all. I'm not sure what the potion was that they gave me for relaxing but it worked great.

For me, they snaked the scope all the way up quickly and then retrived it slowly looking at everything closely while doing so.

The Prep is truly the worst part, so relax after you get that done.

What to expect for the procedure. A Nurse will take your vital's signs, then start a IV drip, and hook you up to a monitor for continous readings af your vitals. Then the Doc will come in and make some small talk with ya while he adds some good juice to your IV. You will then rollover on your side and Moon the Doc. Then just relax and watch the monitor. In just a few minutes you will be done. No sweat, nothing to it.

Regards,
Glenn

Old 09-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #4
kmg126
(female)

kmg126 HB User

Purplehat and Glenn,
Thank you so much for your replies. It helps to hear what your experiences were. My doctor said the prep was the worse part, so I hope she is right. So far so good. I had to take 2 Dulcolax this morning and just had 10oz of Magnesium Citrate (eewww) and will do another 10oz this evening. Drinking lots of water and broth. So far nothing has "happened" but I expect it will soon I am very nervous about the procedure, but know once I get that IV, I'll be good to go.
Thanks again,
Karen

Old 09-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
MAD MAZ
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Karen I hope your Colonoscopy went well, I didnt like to say yesterday when I saw your post that when I had one 3 weeks ago it all went so wrong!!
I think It was just bad luck for me.
Read my posts you will see what happened!!
The pepole on here are so supportive, I had a Barium Enema today and I was so scared that something would go wrong again.
I was crying when I got to the hospital with fright, glad to say that it was not that bad.
God Bless and take care ....Mandy

Old 09-29-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
kmg126
(female)

kmg126 HB User

Oh Mandy! Glad that your procedure went well yesterday! Thanks for asking about my colonscopy yesterday. Actually, it went VERY well. The prep was the worse part, as everyone has said. When I got to the hospital, they gave me an IV and I went into the procedure room and they gave me the VERSED and Darvocet and out I went. I don't remember anything...I woke up back in recover and got dressed and went home and slept for a while. Thank goodness I slept through the whole thing. Thankfully, everything was clear. A bit of diverticulosis in one area and some internal hemorroids, which were causing the blood, but they are no longer bleeding. Apparently the whole thing only took a short time. I appreciate everyone here and your support and I wish you all well. Karen

Old 09-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
PapisMita
(female)

PapisMita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg126
I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow for some bleeding I was having (for more than a year which now has seemed to have cleared up!). I'm doing the prep today and I know that alone can be miserable. I'm really nervous about the procedure tomorrow. I'd really like to hear from some people that have had it done as to what I can expect. Also any suggestions or advice would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Karen

Karen don't be scared at all, you will be under the entire time and won't feel a thing. When you wake up you may have the need to pass gas. That is normal because they pump air into you to do the process. Whatever the result of your test may be, you will be happy you did it. If everything is fine then you can go on with your life without the worries. If you do have cancer, then you can deal with it. Not knowing is the worse thing. My husband has colon cancer and he did not catch it until it had spread to his liver. He is now going thru chemo for the second time and has a 30% chance of survival. A colonoscopy is such a simple procedure, I feel I need to spread the word. Because it does save lives.

Closed Thread