HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Colon (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-colon/)
-   -   I have a question.... (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-colon/433236-i-have-question.html)

Windyblaze 09-30-2006 01:22 PM

I have a question....

This might sound silly, but I am confused about this.....Hoping someone can clear it up for me. I have Stage III colon cancer, 3 lymph nodes effected, and it has not spread to any other organs. Is this considered Stage III B, or Stage III C ? :confused: I think I should know this by now, but I really don't, and I always forget to ask my oncologist about it.....And, how likely is it for the cancer to come back? I am 3/4 through my chemo, (5FU/Leuc), and I'm already getting nervous about the folllow up tests and what the results might be.....I was sailing along just fine, and now for the past few days, I am worrying about the cancer coming back after my treatments are over.....it really scares me!

Windy.

Mom2ntn 09-30-2006 03:03 PM

Re: I have a question....

Here's a link for the way the staging is done. I'm Stage 3a, one lymph node involved and no spread to other organs.

Hope this helps!
[url]http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_3X_How_is_colon_and_rectum_cancer_staged.asp[/url]

Carol B

pearl115 09-30-2006 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Mom2ntn]Here's a link for the way the staging is done. I'm Stage 3a, one lymph node involved and no spread to other organs.

Hope this helps!
[url]http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_4_3X_How_is_colon_and_rectum_cancer_staged.asp[/url]

Carol B[/QUOTE]

I cannot access this link. Does anyone know of another similar one? It may just be temporarily unavailable - I'll check it later...

Windyblaze 09-30-2006 06:01 PM

I tried and couldn't open it either.........hmmmmmm.......

W.

Mom2ntn 09-30-2006 07:37 PM

How Is Colorectal Cancer Staged?

This is copied and pasted from the American Cancer Society page. Wierd why it would not open.

Carol B

Detailed Guide: Colon and Rectum Cancer
How Is Colorectal Cancer Staged?

Staging is a process that tells the doctor how widespread your cancer may be at the time of diagnosis. It will show whether the cancer has spread and how far. The treatment and outlook for colorectal cancer depends, to a large extent, on its stage. For early cancer, surgery may be all that is needed. For more advanced cancer, other treatments, such as chemotherapy or radiation therapy, may be required. Please be sure to ask your doctor to explain the stage of your cancer so that you can make the best choice about your treatment.

More than one system is used for staging colorectal cancer. These include the Dukes, Astler-Coller, and AJCC/TNM systems. This section concentrates on American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) system (also called the TNM system), which describes stages using Roman numerals I through IV. Both the Dukes system and the Astler-Coller system use A through C; the Astler-Coller system adds stage D and has more subdivisions.

All 3 systems describe the spread of the cancer in relation to the layers of the wall of the colon or rectum, organs next to the colon and rectum, and other organs farther away. Because for most patients, this stage is unknown until after surgery, most doctors wait till then to decide on the cancer's stage. The stages described below are called pathologic stages. The pathologic stage is determined by the findings of the pathologist from looking at the cancer and other actual tissue that has been removed.

The AJCC/TNM System describes the extent of the primary Tumor (T), the absence or presence of metastasis to nearby lymph Nodes (N), and the absence or presence of distant Metastasis (M).

[B]T Categories for Colorectal Cancer[/B]

T categories of colorectal cancer describe the extent of spread through the layers that form the wall of the colon and rectum. These layers, from the inner to the outer, include the lining (mucosa), a thin layer of muscle (muscularis mucosa), the fibrous tissue beneath this muscle layer (submucosa), a thick layer of muscle that contracts to force the contents of the intestines along (muscularis propria), and the thin outermost layers of connective tissue (subserosa and serosa) that cover most of the colon but not the rectum.

Tx: No description of the tumor's extent is possible because of incomplete information.

Tis: The cancer is in the earliest stage. It involves only the mucosa. It has not grown beyond the muscularis mucosa (inner muscle layer) of the colon or rectum. This stage is also known as carcinoma in situ or intramucosal carcinoma.

T1: The cancer has grown through the muscularis mucosa and extends into the submucosa.

T2: The cancer has grown through the the submucosa, and extends into the muscularis propria.

T3: The cancer has grown completely through the muscularis propria into the subserosa but not to any neighboring organs or tissues.

T4: The cancer has spread completely through the wall of the colon or rectum into nearby tissues or organs.

[B]N Categories for Colorectal Cancer [/B]

N categories indicate whether or not the cancer has spread to nearby lymph nodes and, if so, how many lymph nodes are involved.

Nx: No description of lymph node involvement is possible because of incomplete information.

N0: No lymph node involvement is found.

N1: Cancer cells found in 1 to 3 nearby lymph nodes.

N2: Cancer cells found in 4 or more nearby lymph nodes.

[B]M Categories for Colorectal Cancer [/B]

M categories indicate whether or not the cancer has spread to distant organs, such as the liver, lungs, or distant lymph nodes.

Mx: No description of distant spread is possible because of incomplete information.

M0: No distant spread is seen.

M1: Distant spread is present.

[B]Stage Grouping [/B]

Once a person's T, N, and M categories have been determined, usually after surgery, this information is combined in a process called stage grouping to determine the stage, expressed in Roman numerals from stage I (the least advanced stage) to stage IV (the most advanced stage). The following guide illustrates how TNM categories are grouped together into stages:

Stage 0: Tis, N0, M0: The cancer is in the earliest stage. It has not grown beyond the inner layer (mucosa) of the colon or rectum. This stage is also known as carcinoma in situ or intramucosal carcinoma.

Stage I: T1, N0, M0, or T2, N0, M0: The cancer has grown through the muscularis mucosa into the submucosa or it may also have grown into the muscularis propria, but it has not spread into nearby lymph nodes or distant sites.

Stage IIA: T3, N0, M0: The cancer has grown through the wall of the colon or rectum into the outermost layers. It has not yet spread to the nearby lymph nodes or distant sites.

Stage IIB: T4, N0, M0: The cancer has grown through the wall of the colon or rectum into other nearby tissues or organs. It has not yet spread to the nearby lymph nodes or distant sites.

Stage IIIA: T1-2, N1, M0: The cancer has grown through the mucosa into the submucosa or it may also have grown into the muscularis propria, and it has spread to 1-3 nearby lymph nodes but not distant sites.

Stage IIIB: T3-4, N1, M0: The cancer has grown through the wall of the colon or rectum or into other nearby tissues or organs and has spread to 1-3 nearby lymph nodes but not distant sites.

Stage IIIC: Any T, N2, M0: The cancer can be any T but has spread to 4 or more nearby lymph nodes but not distant sites.

Stage IV: Any T, Any N, M1: The cancer can be any T, any N, but has spread to distant sites such as the liver, lung, peritoneum (the membrane lining the abdominal cavity), or ovary.

If you have any questions about your stage, please ask your doctor to explain the extent of your disease.

Windyblaze 09-30-2006 07:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.....I "think" I am Stage IIIB.....When I had the surgery, the doctor told me that out of 22 lymph nodes taken, 3 were positive, and that my liver looked "beautiful".....I think they did a visual, and felt around the rest of my colon, and said it looked "fine"....They couldn't get the scope past the tumor in my sigmoid colon during the colonoscopy, so the rest of it was examined when the surgeon was in there removing my sigmoid, and the tumor...I sure hope that the chemo is working...........

W.

LESLIETOO 09-30-2006 08:42 PM

Re: I have a question too

Does anyone know why CancerDad was banned?

Windyblaze 09-30-2006 08:49 PM

I was wondering the same thing!:confused: ......Why would they want to ban him?? I haven't seen anything that he's posted that I thought was objectionable!

W.

LESLIETOO 10-01-2006 07:37 AM

Why has the thread that asked why was CancerDad banned removed????? We would like an explanation as to why this very compassionate helpful person was banned from the Board.

Leslie

Jeni61 10-01-2006 09:00 AM

Right here, right now, I need to know why Cancer Dad was banned.

I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that he was the most candid, honest, informed person here who helped all of us with our questions and despite his own personal pain, never failed to uplift, encourage and accept all of us.

I am not entirely sure I will continue here without him.

Shame on whoever did this, whoever you are you seem to completely miss the point of these online support groups.

I hope it is all just a big mistake and will be rectified.

jeni

Windyblaze 10-01-2006 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=Jeni61]Right here, right now, I need to know why Cancer Dad was banned.

I am sure I speak for everyone here when I say that he was the most candid, honest, informed person here who helped all of us with our questions and despite his own personal pain, never failed to uplift, encourage and accept all of us.

I am not entirely sure I will continue here without him.

Shame on whoever did this, whoever you are you seem to completely miss the point of these online support groups.

I hope it is all just a big mistake and will be rectified.

jeni[/QUOTE]

I echo that......CancerDad is a true asset to this board, and if he can't post here any longer, I'll just have to post elsewhere as well.....Too bad, I kind of liked this place.

W.

LESLIETOO 10-01-2006 11:50 AM

I have spoken to CancerDad and he himself is not sure why he can no longer post here. Perhaps it was due to his support of Christy 217? That doesn't really make sense cause this is a safe place where we can anonymously talk to each other honestly about colon cancer and how it has affected our relationships with loved ones, spouses, kin, and significant others, regardless of their sexual preferences. We should all post expressing our indignation and regarding how much we miss CancerDad and his intelligent informative commentaries. Hopefully, that will cause the powers that be to reconsider and permit CancerDad to once again interact with us so we will not have to go over to the Colon Club to talk to him.

Leslie

lucill 10-01-2006 12:50 PM

I found this forum as I searched for information when my dad was diagnosed w/reoccurrring colon cancer. I have learned so much on these boards from everyone but continue to come back and am amazed at the knowledge of Cancerdad. I have read his posts daily since June and can't imagine what reply would have resulted in him being banned from the boards. He is obviously well respected here and people count on him for his knowledge and support. If he is not able to return to the board it will be a travesty and I am sorry for those who did not have the opportunity to benefit from his knowledge.

finner 10-02-2006 05:38 AM

Why does the moderator not let everybody know why this happened to cancerdad?

Jeni61 10-02-2006 07:04 AM

Yes, Moderator, are you out there ?

Why did this happen ? Can Cancer Dad please be reinstated ?

Jeni