It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Cancer Dad I Had My Colonocopy Today

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
Kathy Sue
(female)

Kathy Sue HB User
Lightbulb Cancer Dad I Had My Colonocopy Today

I wanted to let you know how it went. The doctor said I had Diverticulosis and Internal Hemroids. He said the bleeding was from the internal hemroids.
I might have to have surgery. Thank you for everything and I will keep intouch to see how you and everyone is doing. I will always keep you and everyone in my prayers. Thank you so much for everything!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
Mom2ntn
(female)

Mom2ntn HB User
Re: Cancer Dad I Had My Colonocopy Today

Congratulations on the results! At least these are things that are easily treated.

Carol B

Old 10-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Pika
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Kathy,

I booked in the gastroscopy and colonoscopy in one sleep. My CT said I got a lot of Diverticulas. I also know that I have more than one hemorrhoid. But I didn't have pain in my stomach. The pain only come when I took the tablets.

Did the Dr tell you about the risk of poking a hole in the intestine? She told me there is one in 2,000 or 20,000? I can't remember exactly. If it is the case then need a repair. I never see anyone posted this before! I'm very afraid she prepares to cut out my intestine.

Did she band the hemorrhoids for you? What is the treatment options? What kind of surgery do you need? Surgery related to fix diverticulosis or hemorrhoid? When you wake up, did you feel any pain in your stomach and bottom?

Sorry for that lots of questions. I'm very scare and worry. I don't want any surprise when I woke up from the test! I hope you can understand that!

Pika

Old 10-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #4
CancerDad
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Kathy:
That IS GREAT NEWS!! Congratulations. I'm assuming the surgery you are talking about is for the hemorrhoids, not the diverticulosis???

PLEASE keep in touch. Best of luck to you.

Fondly,
CancerDad

PS Pika, your GI should tell you all the risks, including perforation. It's EXTREMELY rare, and usually only happens with an inexperienced GI. Better to know if you are dealing with what most of us are on this board--colorectal cancer-- and risk that 1/20000 chance! Good luck to you, and try not to worry. The procedure really is nothing. Read some other posts here on the board.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:55 AM   #5
Pika
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

What is the difference between Colonocopy and barium enema?

I didn't tell the Dr that I have hemorrhoids. Would she said that I need a barium enema after the colonocopy? I don't want anymore prep to do another one. Should I tell her before she started or need a few days notice before the procedure?

Thanks

Pika

Old 10-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #6
CancerDad
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Pika:
NO, you will NOT need a Barium Enema if you go through with the colonoscopy. A colonoscopy is the BEST way to visualize the colon, and prevent any possible polyps from turning into cancer.

You can read other posts about having a colonoscopy. It REALLY is an easy procedure. The hard part is the prep... use plenty of diaper ointment to prevent your anus from getting sore from the diarrhea. Also, try to eat lightly for a day or so prior to your prep day and things will go smoothly. You should also remember to drink PLENTY of fluids... sports drinks with electrolytes, or just plain old water.

Before the procedure, they will give you an IV and you will be medicated during the procedure. If you feel ANY discomfort during the procedure, TELL THEM, and they will give you more medication that relaxes you, helps you forget the experience and sleep through the procedure.

Good Luck to you and PLEASE come back and let us know your results.

Warm Regards,
CancerDad

Old 10-10-2006, 04:12 AM   #7
Pika
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

Thanks for the info. Would they put some lubrication when they insert the scope? Would it hurt after the procedure? I mean when you wake up from that?

Pika

Old 10-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #8
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hi,

Once the grogginess wears off you should feel fine... It is not a painful procedure.

Good luck - please go ahead with it!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #9
jaydees
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

In my case there was never any discomfort or pain either during or after the colonoscopy.

However, the drugs they give you make it imperative that you do not drive for 24 hours after the procedure.

You will feel just fine afterwards and probably feel fully alert but the drugs play tricks with you. You very well might not remember parts of the day of the colonoscopy, the day following it. If that happens you will realize why the caution against driving is given.

Closed Thread