It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Scared To Ask This Question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2006, 06:04 PM   #1
moondoggy
(female)

moondoggy HB User
Scared To Ask This Question

I am to have a bowel resection in the sigmoid colon on Friday. Apparently there are cancer cells in a large polyp that is thought to be in situ and non invasive. A section will be removed along with lymph nodes. I have known since June due to a Flex sigmoid, (thought at the time to be precancerous) and then a colonoscopy in September determined that that there are also cancerous cells.

I have always suffered from anxiety and usually there was nothing to be worried about. Now the anxiety is at an all time high. I have lost weight and am fatigued. Now I don't know if the weight loss and fatigue and decreased appetite are from something more sinister than this polyp (GI said I shouldn't lose weight from that) or if it is just a high anxiety thing.

I wonder if any others have found themselves in this situation?

Moondoggy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Mom2ntn
(female)

Mom2ntn HB User
Re: Scared To Ask This Question

Moondoggy,
You have every right to feel high anxiety at the moment. My guess would be that's exactly what has decreased your appetite and exhausting you. You might want to give your doctor a call and see if he can put you on an anti-anxiety medication to get you through the surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Carol B
who starts Round 3 of Chemo tomorrow!

Old 10-08-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
pearl115
(female)

pearl115 HB User

Since my husband was diagnosed several weeks ago, *I* have lost my appetite and have dropped a clothing size. If anxiety does that to a partner, it can surely do it to the person diagnosed. Thank God for Xanax...

Old 10-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
bmccrea
(female)

bmccrea HB User

Sorry to hear that you have got to have surgery. Most definitely anxiety will make you lose weight and will zap the energy and strenght right out of you. Whenever I worry about myself, I loose weight. However, if I am worried about someone else, I cannot stop shoving food in my mouth. I'm on Xanax for my anxiety and it really helps to keep it under control..

BAMc

Closed Thread