It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Xeloda

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #1
christy217
(female)

christy217 HB User
Xeloda

I am taking it like this, 3000 mg a day for 2 weeks, 6 pills a day, then I have off a week and am back on after that for 2 weeks. I've been through 2 cycles of this, no problems except diahhrea and dryness "down there" and then my extreme appetite, it's insatiable, like I cannot get enough food, constantly hungry. I weigh 173, and I want to get to 135, that's my recommended weight. I am doing weight watchers, however, it's very hard when I am constantly hungry. I asked the doc for an appetite suppressant, they said no way.

TIA for your opinions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2006, 10:01 AM   #2
LESLIETOO
(female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
Re: Xeloda

Hi Christy!

Two possibilities for weight control are increasing daily exercise to burn off more calories and opting for filling low-cal foods - such as large salads with low-cal dressing, if you drink soda or a lot of fruit juice switch to diet soda or crystal light, change milk from regular to skim, nibble on pretzels rather than chips, Alba diet shakes instead of the real thing, etc. Never let yourself get too hungry - eat five or six small meals rather than 3 large ones, etc.
I know - its far easier said than done - been struggling with weight all my life.

Leslie

Old 10-12-2006, 01:17 PM   #3
christy217
(female)

christy217 HB User

Thanks Leslie,

Unfortunately I have tried all of that, I drink lots of water during the day, as I always have too, and make sure the things I eat are high in protein and fiber.

I eat the 100 calorie packs or sugar free items for snacks, mostly fruit and veggies though and I exercise, I eat throughout the day too, I have to or I am ravished. I have always drunk skim milk and I only do a 1/2 a cup and dilute that sometimes.

I stayed within my points range everyday when initially starting WW and lost 10 pounds, but since I have started the Xeloda, it's increased my weight and appetite. I have the diahhrea I mentioned and I take the immodium very rarely because of the simple fact it gives me terrible gas, and since I had my total colectomy I can't pass gas like a regular person, the reason is, if I do so, it might be stool instead of gas and I can never tell.

I am going to talk to my doctor again, I love my oncologist I truly do, but I am seriously debating cutting back on the xeloda or changing my dosage because this weight thing can put me at risk for other health factors too.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
CancerDad
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Christy:
GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!

You have to keep in mind that you had your entire colon removed! It WILL take a while for your body to "even out," and know what fluid levels it should hold onto... remember, you have NO REABSORBPTION without a colon, etc. Your body will adjust soon enough, but it is ALSO being assaulted by chemotherapeutic agents. It's good to hold onto some extra weight right now as a "just in case" your body needs the calories. I bet by this time next year, You will BE AT OR EVEN BELOW your goal weight. So stop worrying about it. Be thankful you're alive and take time each day to smell the roses (so to speak). We all learn here, Life IS too short.

Thinking about you and wishing you well,
CancerDad

Old 10-12-2006, 05:54 PM   #5
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hi Christy!

Sorry to hear about the Xeloda side effects, but, I would just try to get through treatment, then worry about shedding the pounds. Try to keep moving as much as you can. I know that can be a bummer, and trying to get the weight off is very hard... How are you feeling otherwise??

Bossan - my brother is half way through his treatments of that drug... His biggest complaint is the acne looking rash he has. There is a medication for the rash he is using that his helping some. Also, he has bad constipation, but not sure which of the drugs is contributing to that.

I did VERY well on Xeloda compared to the FOLFOX. My recommendation is to take it w/food. I took my night pills w/some toast just before bed time, helped that I slept through the nausea. I did feel some fatigue but it was NOTHING compared to what I felt on FOLFOX. I took zofran for nausea on occasion. My only other complaint was the hand and foot syndrome. I used Bag Balm on my feet (grease them up then put on socks) and that helped.

Good luck to you all!

Closed Thread