It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Question about thin stool + bloody stool

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-18-2006, 01:42 AM   #1
    mentalk
    (male)

mentalk HB User
    Question about thin stool + bloody stool

Hi.

i would like just an answer to this question please.

if one had blood in his stool and often had thin stools does that automatically mean it is colon cancer?

would there be other diseases that would associate with blood in stool and thin stool as a combination?

anyone on this forum that has or have blood in their stool and thin small stool, what was your problem?

thanks for your answers

Last edited by mentalk; 10-18-2006 at 01:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-18-2006, 07:07 AM   #2
    Jeni61
    (female)

Jeni61 HB User
    Re: Question about thin stool + bloody stool

No, it does not automatically mean cancer by any means.

The problem is, you need to find out right away.

If it is cancer, the earlier you find it, the better. It is treatable and beatable, to borrow one of those slogans.

Don't wait - I waited too long, thinking it was hemorrhoids and while I am confident ( mostly !) I will be okay, I would still be in better shape had I gone in and found out.

Best to you

Jeni

Old 10-18-2006, 04:57 PM   #3
    mentalk
    (male)

mentalk HB User

Jeni.
    have you CC?

how are you going now.

thanks

Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
    Lifes2short
    (female)

Lifes2short HB User

Thin and bloody stools certainly can be a sign of colon cancer. Get to a colon and rectal surgeon or GI doctor and schedule a colonoscopy ASAP.

Though I had other symptoms as well and spent several months visiting docs and trying to get answers, it was the thin stool and increasing rectal pain that made me realize that I might have rectal cancer. And indeed I did.

Other sypmtoms: abdominal pain, rectal pain (in some cases), changes in bowel habits, fatigue, night sweats, weight loss...

Be aggressive at getting help, but don't freak out too much. I could, indeed, just be hemorroids or a rectal abcess or any number of non life threatening things. Peace of mind is best, schedule that colonoscopy today!

Old 10-19-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
    mentalk
    (male)

mentalk HB User

can i ask how old are you lifes2short?

Old 10-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
    Jeni61
    (female)

Jeni61 HB User

Mentalk, yes I have colorectal cancer, specifically rectal cancer.

I finished my chemo/rad and am waiting for surgery on Nov 13th.

I would get a colonoscopy as soon as possible. That is the only way to really know.

Jeni

Old 10-19-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
    Jeni61
    (female)

Jeni61 HB User

Life2Short, did you have night sweats ?

Jeni

Old 10-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #8
    Lifes2short
    (female)

Lifes2short HB User

Mentalk, I'm 42. I've always been a bit of a fitness nut, so when I started to feel sick I dealt with it by getting more exercise - so I would go the doctor's office and complain about my painful swollen lymph nodes (in my groin) and the fact that I'm feeling tired and run down. Meanwhile, I'm suntanned and strong and when they ask me about exercise I would admit that I was still doing five and six mile trail runs with my dogs and skinning up the Wasatch range for early season powder skiing. So they pretty much dismissed me as an overtired, overactive middle-aged mom (my kids were three and two at the time). Docs are human, they don't want to see cancer in someone who appears so healthy.

Jeni, yes I had nightsweats for years. But they got much worse and more frequent during the months prior to my cancer diagnosis. I still get them a lot - I always find it scary - is it hormones or is my cancer spreading? Just one more thing to worry about in those dark hours in the middle of the night!

Old 10-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #9
    mentalk
    (male)

mentalk HB User

good luck to you both.

when you mention night sweat, is it just on your legs + body or is the sweat on your face also.?

i too sometimes have night sweat, mostly on my legs and body..

with blood in your stool, how many times a week did it occure or did you go months without any blood in your stool or was in a frequent thing?

Old 10-19-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
    Lifes2short
    (female)

Lifes2short HB User

For me, the night sweats are a full-body sheet and pajama soaking experience.

As for blood in the stools, It came and went over the years but was not a prominent symptom for me.

Old 10-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
    Anders
    (female)

Anders HB User

Wow, it is interesting to read this thread.

I was diagnosed 2 1/2 yrs ago with stage 3 rectal cancer. I had occasional bleeding in my stools (for about 6-8 mths). It hurt like hemmorrids. My doctor stuck a tube up my rectum and confirmed my hemmorids were the problem. He decided this would be a good excuse for me to get my colonoscopy early in life. At the age of 46, I was diagnosed. Please make sure you get a colonoscopy, do not settle for anything less. My blood work, everything else, came out fine. In hind sight, I believe my stools were maybe thinner, I guess I noticed it after I started radiation.

Life2short, I was getting hot flashes (including night sweats) before diagnoses, they got worse during radiation, better when on chemo, and now worse. I live in Arizona, during the winter months, I still wear shorts now.

I come from a family who had hemmorrids, and occasional bleeding problems. My brother's had them for yrs, never thougth anything of it. Because of me, he was check 2-3 weeks after my diagnoses, and he was clean except for his hemmorrids. Several yrs ago, my mother had a colonoscopy for abdonial pain, along with rectal bleeding (she had rectal bleeding for yrs off and on). The doctor were 99% sure they would find colon cancer, at the age of 57 they never even found a polyp, only a bad case of divertriculus. My husband was checked 2-3 mths following my diagnoses, with no symptoms, at the age of 47, he was diagnosed with precancer polyps, he's 100% cured today. My sister in law at the age of 44 was found to have several polyps, she too had no symptoms.

The bottom line, symptoms or not symptoms, people may or may not have colon cancer. Please get a colonoscopy, it is the only sure way to know.

Lee

Old 10-22-2006, 10:23 AM   #12
    Jeni61
    (female)

Jeni61 HB User

Life2Short, I was getting what I would call hot flashes - nothing at all where clothes got soaked and rarely at night, I mean almost never at night.

It was more like a "glowing" than an actual sweat. It was increasing prior to my diagnosis, but at the same time I also started skipping periods, maybe having only 1/2 of them, as I am 45 now and certainly marching toward menopause.

During my radiation, these episodes of flushing -- I was having maybe 3 - 5 brief episodes per day -- almost disappeared. Now I am having them again, but about 1 or even less per day, and again, not at night. So maybe 5 a week, a brief moment of glow.

At diagnosis, I mentioned these to my oncologist, and he said it was more of a concern if I was soaking my pjs or the bedding, and I am not doing anything even close to that - it's more like I'm blushing/flushing.

But it is disconcerting. Is it hormones, or not ? Why would it almost stop during radiation and then 2 weeks later reappear ? Because that ovaries are getting zapped ???

Now I am having them again, infrequently, but still it makes me nervous. I know that my tumor shrank, as my surgeon felt it, and felt places where it was completely gone, and my CEA dropped by more than 1/2 even when I still had 1/2 my chemo and 1/3 of my radiation left. But still, any little thing like this makes you anxious.

And what about my ovaries ?? Do they still work ?? After having been zapped ?

Life2short and anyone else out there who has any thoughts, thanks !!

Jeni

Old 10-22-2006, 10:58 AM   #13
    Lifes2short
    (female)

Lifes2short HB User

The flushes may be just hormonal - some sort of perimenopause. If you're not soaking your bed, then probably not to worry.

As for whether or not your ovaries are fried, it really depends on where your radiation was and whether they were in or near the radiation field. I've read that most women are sterile after abdominal radiation, but there are stories of women giving birth after they think their reproductive parts have been destroyed.

Do you plan on having them removed during surgery? I had mine removed - figured I wasn't planning on using them any more and they were just another site for cancer to attack. The surgery is minor, however it will cause you to begin full-blown menopause if you have not already.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #14
    mentalk
    (male)

mentalk HB User

Jeni, didn you say in the 1st page that you had night sweat? now you said you never have them at night? i thought nightsweats were sweating during sleep.

cheers

Old 10-24-2006, 09:48 AM   #15
    Jeni61
    (female)

Jeni61 HB User

Neither before my cancer diagnosis nor after did have them much at night - like, if I had 3- 5 episodes of this "glowing/flushing" feeling per day, that last maybe 5 - 10 seconds, perhaps one of them per week would be at night, at the most - so a very small % would be at night. And nothing like soaking clothes or pjs or bedsheets or anything.

I didn't have them at all during radiation - maybe one of these glowing episodes in the whole 6 week period.

I am now 3 weeks since my last radiation appt, and I am having these glowing/flushing flashes, lasting maybe 5 seconds, infrequently. I had two of them Sunday, for example, none the few days before, and none yesterday. Nothing at night at all, and certainly nothing that soaks thru clothing or even dampens it.

But I do find it curious that I did not have any of it during radiation, and now it is much diminished after. Does it relate to the cancer, or it related to being perimenopausal ?

So my longwinded answer to your question -- I guess you wouldn't exactly characterize these as night sweats, altho it infrequently occurred at night prior to my radiation.

Life2Short, I am at this point not getting my ovaries removed -- my surgeon doesn't recommend it unless they are involved -- but it is certainly a question of mine - I am having a 2nd opinion today at the UW and this will be one of the main questions I ask, how advisable it is to remove them ?

In talking to female rectal cancer survivors, I do find that some had addtl organs removed even tho those organs looked fine during surgery. Some of these ladies did have other problems -- such as painful periods, etc -- so another reason besides the cancer was present, but others did not have any other reason other than might be a good preventative idea.

I will report back after the 2nd opinion.

Wow, I am getting weepy and antsy the closer surgery gets ...

Jeni the Terrified

Closed Thread