It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Dad's not eating - 2cnd round of chemo

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-31-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
KGO
(female)

KGO HB User
Dad's not eating - 2cnd round of chemo

I need advice - my dad has just undergone his second chemo treatment - Eloxatin in combination w/ the 5-FU-LV. He does not want to eat and had to get fluids through an IV over the weekend after becoming dehydrated. He has lost 40 pounds since diagnosed with stage c colon cancer in July. He looks bad and feels bad most of the time. My biggest worry is that he won't make it through 6 months of chemo with his hardly eating anything, already so early on. He takes pain pills often, and just seems miserable. He is nauseous and says he can "taste," the chemo and doesn't want to eat.

Is this normal? Can he make it with just eating barely anything? He goes to his doctor at MD Anderson this week for his check up, I hope she reads him the riot act about eating.

Thanks for any advice. My dad is in his 60's.

KG

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User
Re: Dad's not eating - 2cnd round of chemo

Sorry to hear about your dad. Yes, I think this can be normal for alot of people. Chemo does a real number on the body, including making a person nausea. I would recommend drinking Ensure, it will help give his body the vit, and minerals he needs. When I was going thru chemo, I tended to eat smaller meals several time (snacking) daily. I found if I kept a small amount of food in my tummy, it kept nausea at bay. Also if he is dehydrated in any way, it can add to the problem of making you feel miserable. I would highly recommend loading up on liquids a day or two before each chemo treatment. When not on chemo, try to eat healthy, when on Chemo, eat whatever sounds good. But I would avoid th4e greasy, fatty food, as this can be a turn off.

Sure hope he's feeling better soon.

Lee

Old 11-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #3
KGO
(female)

KGO HB User
Re: Dad's not eating - 2cnd round of chemo

Thanks for the reply Lee - he has used Ensure but I don't think enough, I will remind him and my mom of that. He needs some nutrition in him, and he seems to be taking in next to nothing. Hopefully he will be willing to use the Ensure as a substitute.

KG

Closed Thread