It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Blood in Stool

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
westy40
(male)

westy40 HB User
Blood in Stool

I was wondering if there was anyone who could maybe put me at ease.

Over the last week I have had major amount of blood in my stool. For me this wasnt much of an alarm because I have had blood in my stool off and on for probably 15 years but never to this extent where the bright red blood is literally dripping out.

I have had two colonoscopies.. one in March of 2001 where I had what the doctor said were very very small multiple edenoma polyps(edenoma meaning they had cancer potential in 7-10 years) that were removed. A repeat colonoscopy done in Nov 2004 was done and more edenoma(very small) polyps were removed with the doctor saying to come back in 4 years. The doctor made a brief mention about Hemorrhoids but nothing was done about that

Fast forward to this new gastro doctor who said because of the amount of blood she could see using an anoscope.. she said to get another colonoscopy done as soon as possible. She herself doesnt scope(which is strange). She did a quick inspection and was able to see blood and some inflamed Hemorrhoids. She gave me a prescription for the hemorrhoids but insisted on having another colonoscopy done which I will do once I find a gastro who fits under my HMO plan.

My question is this.. Shouldnt I have some piece of mind knowing that I have had two colonoscopies in the past 5 years? This doctor didnt give me any piece of mind...she only heightened my anxiety.
I mean the polyps were all removed in 2004 and it takes years for new ones to grow.(unless some polyps were missed during the last colonoscopy procedure) This new gastro doctor said it all depends on well you've been cleaned out ... She just worried me a bit.

Any feedback is appreciated

Thanks
Mike

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-23-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
jaydees
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Blood in Stool

Yes, you can have some piece of mind knowing that a) you do have hemmerhoids which could easily be the source of the blood
and
b ) that you had a c'scope only two years ago.

However, with a history of polyps , especially in two consecutive c'scopes only 3 years apart, and now with blood in the stool it is quite understandable that the gastro doc urges another c'scope. This is the only way to truly find out if there is anything else going on other than the hemmerhoids.

Old 11-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #3
westy40
(male)

westy40 HB User
Re: Blood in Stool

Thanks for the reply jaydees,

I am going to follow through with a gastro doc who is under my HMO plan.. unfortunately it will probably take a few weeks. You're right about my removal of polyps in 2001 and then again in 2004 and that it was multiple polyps so I guess at the very least it couldnt hurt to do another colonoscopy two years after the last one.

I do appreciate the last gastro doc having concern but at the same time I wish she would have given me a thumbs up for having two previous colonoscopies but I guess not.

I have been using anusol for the Hemorrhoids the last two days and no blood for the first time in about two weeks... I know that blood can happen at any time so I am not even going to declare anything even if the anusol seems to do the job. I will go through with another scope procedure.

Hopefully this time I can try out the new pills they have to clean you out instead of that awful liquid stuff

Mike

Closed Thread