It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Flattened stools?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #1
Naomi101
(female)

Naomi101 HB User
Flattened stools?

Hello. For the past 3 months or so, I have been having small, flattened stools. No blood in stools, no pain, but possibly gas. Chiropractor suggested taking psillium, which has helped to produce larger, rounder stools when I am taking it. Age 41 and no history or colon cancer, but have become a bit of a hypochondriac lately and worried about this symptom. Will have a test in January (not a colonoscopy but the one that only goes up the colon half way) that I'm worried about but would like some reassurance, if possible. Thanks so much!!!

P.S. Have had flat stools once before several years ago but cleared up fairly quickly on its own.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
shnswms
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: Flattened stools?

Flat stools do not always mean colon cancer. Sometimes stool just doesn't get properly formed if you have IBS, not eating enough fiber, and bad diet. If stools were flat due to colon cancer, a flexible sigmoidscopy would be able to go far enough to pick up the rectal cancer. At 40 you need to have a colonoscopy regardless, not a sigmoidscopy!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User

I concur with shnswms regarding a colonoscopy at 40. I wish someone had told me to do that, I was diagnosed at age 46 with stage 3 rectal cancer. A colonoscopy at 40 would have avoided me a lot of pain and suffering. My husband at 47 was found to have precancerous polyps. My sister in law at 44 was found to have 3 polyps up in the last 1/3 of her colon. My brother was the only person to come out clean at 45.

Lee

Old 11-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Naomi101
(female)

Naomi101 HB User

Thanks so much for your replies! I'm not sure why they aren't doing the full colonoscopy. The one I'm getting is supposed to be painful, too, dang it!

Old 11-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #5
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User

I think I would push for a complete colonoscopy, they would be able to see ALL of your colon, then would be able to give you something that with either relax you or put you to sleep, and they would be able to remove polyps if they find any.

Lee

Old 11-28-2006, 11:14 PM   #6
bmccrea
(female)

bmccrea HB User

Sometimes flattened or skinny stools can be caused by a tight anal muscle. I experienced this due to an anal fissure, which I did not even know I had. Usually a fissure will cause a lot of pain. I did not have either pain or bleeding. The muscle tightens trying to help the fissure heal. Over a long period of time scar tissue will form. I'm not saying this is what you have, just my experience. Good luck to you,
Barbara

Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #7
Naomi101
(female)

Naomi101 HB User

I hope that's all it is. Took some psillium again and finally produced a glorious turd - thank you, Lord (excuse my humor) - but when I stop, it goes back to being flat again. I don't have any pain, though on occasion I do have a small spot of blood on the tissue, but not in the stools themselves. It's as if I have a small tear somewhere? Hmmm... I hope you're right!! I've got a lot of anxiety over this and get worried for the worst.

Thanks to all for replying!!

Closed Thread