It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

question about relatives having colon cancer

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #1
paulcindy88
(female)

paulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB Userpaulcindy88 HB User
Question question about relatives having colon cancer

Hi

I am 39, and have had bleeding hemorrhoids for a long time now(about 5 years). I went to see my GI doctor just to make sure that this is in fact what it could be.(with all the talk of colon cancer I thought it might be wise) He suggested I have a flexible sigmoidoscopy in his office. digital rectal and thinks it is hemorrhoids, but wants to do this just to make sure.He did ask me if I had a family history of colon cancer, and at the time, I assumed nobody in my family has. But my grandmother just informed me that her father, my great-grandfather died of colon cancer at the age of 74. This would be my maternal great grandfather. Nobody else has ever had it, or died from it. She had 10 brothers and sisters(my great aunts and uncles) and nobody ever had it, neither does my mother and she is 60, no polyps, nothing. Would this still be a concern of family history of colon cancer?

Thank in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2006, 06:10 AM   #2
shnswms
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User
Re: question about relatives having colon cancer

It wouldn't hurt to get checked out especially since you are approaching 40. First degree relatives with colon cancer are much more serious in terms of family history.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #3
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User
Re: question about relatives having colon cancer

From my personal experience, I would get a colonosopy if I were you. I wish someone had told me to do so at 40.

I come from a family with hemorrid problems (both parents, sibling). I had rectal bleeding for about 6 mths when I mentioned it to my doctor, he decided to follow up on it. Ran some test (normal); stuck a tube up my tail pipe and confirmed my hemmorrids were the problem. He figured this would be a good excuse to get my baseline colonoscopy early in life. At the age of 46, I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer. While I had 1 grandparent die from cancer (they diagnosed her with stomach cancer at the age of 84 in the mid 1970's), my mother (her daughter) never developed a polyp.

Because of me, my husband was checked at the age of 47 and found to have precancer polyps, my sister in law was checked at age 44 and found to have 3 polyps way up in her colon (something that would not have been found with out the colonscopy). My brother (age 45) was the only person among us to come out clean, except for his bleeding hemerroids. The bottom line, 3 people not related were found to have various degress of colon cancer/problem in their 40's with out a history of colon cancer in the families.

Please get a colonoscopy.

Lee

Closed Thread