It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

New here -- mom diagnosed IIIC

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
chuckles1357
(female)

chuckles1357 HB User
New here -- mom diagnosed IIIC

Hi!

My mom was diagnosed November 21st this year with rectal cancer. Is that worse than colon cancer?

They are giving her chemo and radiation prior to surgery. Did you guys have that? Was it successful?

They are going to do her chemo through some sort of thing that sticks out on the right side of her upper chest. Is this good?

I don't trust doctors. The reason my mom is dying is because the only colonoscopy she has ever had, last January, missed this massive tumor that any moron could feel with a finger up her rear end, let alone a colonoscopy!!

Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2006, 06:25 AM   #2
Nassau one
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: New here -- mom diagnosed IIIC

I am so sorry to hear about your mother and can understand your anger regarding the colonoscopy. I cannot imagine how a large tumour was missed!

However, she is now going to start treatment and there is lots of hope for her. There are lots of people on this board dx at the same stage as your mother and who are doing really well today and I am sure they will post their stories to encourage you.

Giving chemotherapy and radiotherapy before surgery is often done to reduce the size of the tumour. She will then get more chemotherapy after the surgery to mop up any stray cancer cells.

How is her general health? Is she eating well? How are her spirits? Please encourage her!

Make sure she drinks lots of water to keep well hydrated. The port makes sense. Neither my husband (dx Stage 3C rectal cancer in July 2003) nor myself (dx Stage 1V Follicular Lymphoma July 2006) had a port but I am always told it is a good idea.

Come back to us with any questions you might have. We are here to help and encourage.

Love and prayers,

Old 12-08-2006, 03:42 PM   #3
hiswife1
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

I am very sorry about your Mom's diagnosis. I understand your anger that it wasn't found before now.

My husband has a port and it has been a godsend. At least they don't have to try to find veins to start the ivs. The only problem he has had with his is a little soreness from having to use his arms so much (he is a dozer operator). He was diagnoised with stage iv mets to the liver 7/04, has had a colon resection and two liver resection, plus lots of chemo. His latest treatment was through a hepatic artery infusion pump implanted under the skin and it put concentrated chemo directly into his liver. At this time he is doing really well.

I agree with Alison, it is so important to stay well hydrated and eat well even tho she may not feel like it. Just encourage her all you can. Please come back often and let us know how things are going, vent, or ask questions. There are some really knowledgeable people here. I will add your Mom to my prayers. dee

Old 12-08-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
chuckles1357
(female)

chuckles1357 HB User

You have given such thoughtful, understanding answers, each of you! It is kind to offer this kind of caring. Since my mom lives a matter of blocks from me, I will certainly encourage her to keep hydrated and continue to eat well.

Thank all of you for your interesting information on ports, as well! I didn't have any idea...They given pain medication by this method too?

There were lots of words of encouragement, of people who are further along in the disease. Thank you for sharing and I will pass these messages and words of hope to my mother!

She is 78, 123 pounds, 5'3", and a vegetarian. She exercises and is in great health (except for being stage IIIC!). I am hoping that since she has taken such good care of herself for so many years that she'll have a fighting chance to last a number of years longer, anyway.

THANK ALL OF YOU!!!

Closed Thread