It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Big surgery day.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-08-2006, 07:19 AM   #1
flygirl3
(female)

flygirl3 HB User
Big surgery day.

Thanks for all your kind words of support. Finally, this am we head to City of Hope for the removal of tumor and HOPEFULLY a temporary bag......I will keep you all posted. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, it's been hectic before surgery and with the holidays and flying......and our 3 kids.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #2
hiswife1
(female)

hiswife1 HB User
Re: Big surgery day.

Saying extra big prayers for a successful surgery and speedy recovery for your husband.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #3
flygirl3
(female)

flygirl3 HB User

So far soo good!!! Keeping fingers crossed that everything continues to go as smoothly as has been. Surgeon said everything went wonderful and as planned. Husband did get a temporary ileostomy bag--we haven't got back the pathology reports yet, but the surgeon said that he didn't see anyhting else abnormal anywhere else (other organs) all seemed fine. Hubby is tired today and is trying to ween off of the morphine, took a few steps today and was on a full liquid diet.

Sooo much to be thankful for this holiday season! Flygirl

Old 12-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
CancerDad
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Flygirl:
I'm SO happy to hear the great news! Keep that husband walking around and practicing breathing exercises. He will be on fluids for a while, and tell him to not push to have that cath out too soon, as uncomfortable as it is. Studies show 5 days or so is a good amount of time to let the bladder rest after all that manipulation during surgery. This is for rectal ca, which I am pretty certain is what he has at this late hour!! Sorry if I'm getting it wrong. You both hang in there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer for an uncomplicated recovery. Tell him to use that pillow-- hold it to the abdomen and chest during laughing and coughing. And, don't be TOO quick to get off the pain meds.

Hopefully you will be out of there for whatever December holiday you may celebrate. I know ALL of you will be THRILLED to be home.

Keep us posted when you can.

Fondly,
CancerDad

Old 12-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
flygirl3
(female)

flygirl3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerDad
Flygirl:
I'm SO happy to hear the great news! Keep that husband walking around and practicing breathing exercises. He will be on fluids for a while, and tell him to not push to have that cath out too soon, as uncomfortable as it is. Studies show 5 days or so is a good amount of time to let the bladder rest after all that manipulation during surgery. This is for rectal ca, which I am pretty certain is what he has at this late hour!! Sorry if I'm getting it wrong. You both hang in there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and saying a prayer for an uncomplicated recovery. Tell him to use that pillow-- hold it to the abdomen and chest during laughing and coughing. And, don't be TOO quick to get off the pain meds.

Hopefully you will be out of there for whatever December holiday you may celebrate. I know ALL of you will be THRILLED to be home.

Keep us posted when you can.

Fondly,
CancerDad

Old 12-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #6
flygirl3
(female)

flygirl3 HB User

His wife and Cancer Dad-
Thanks for the prayers! CD- I'm sorry to hear about Ruth-she was such a sweet lady- in a past reply to one of my first posts when I was so scared, she wrote about you and how you were the closest thing to a guardian angel in going through this. I hope you are doing well- I never read anything about how you are doing and I have a sneaky suspicion that if something was wrong you may not mention it--because you are so strong for everybody else on here. I truly hope and pray you are well.

Even in the wee hours you do have it absolutely correct! He had rectal cancer just like you-almost identical. And yes, he is using his lil' breathin' machine and you have to remind him to do it alot 10X per hr., and yes he still has the cath in and he hates it. Tonight I learned how to change the ileostomy bag it wasn't too bad after I stared at it for awhile. The initial sight of it was rough-but then after a few minutes of me staring at it and figuring it out it wasn't too bad. I'll have to tell him about the pillow. I know his stomach is in alot of pain that may help- thanks.

I'm trying to get the house in a festive mood for him when he comes home this weekend. It would be nice to have a normal Christmas, but in a sense this puts things really into perspective. We are all so thankful to have him with us and my husbands faith is being restored as I see that he is growing closer to God. My lil' boy who is 10 is asking to be baptised and is asking questions about end times and prophecy. I realize that he has been exposed to sickness alot lately and at the cancer hospital he has heard and seen alot, but as I explain to him, none of us are gauranteed tommorrow--life is a gift. This year it's not so much about Santa as it is more about salvation and restoration. We will celebrate, but a much more modest one this year with less gifts and more about family.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hi there,

It sounds like your hubby is doing pretty well, considering! The ileostomy bag will take some getting use to- there will surely be some frustrations, so be sure to take advantage of the ET nurses while he is still in the hospital. If anything is uncomfortable or confusing they will be a great help to you.

I hope that his recovery continues to move along smoothly. Hopefully he will get home soon and enjoy recovering by the Christmas tree!

Good luck and be sure to let us know if you have any questions!

Take care,
Cats

Old 12-12-2006, 09:22 AM   #8
hiswife1
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

Hi Flygirl,

I am so glad that things are going well so far. My dh called his tummy pillow his "little buddy" and it really did help so much. I even made one for him to use in the car and at home. I agree, get him to walking as much as possible, it really helped my dh get over some of the soreness, plus got things to moving.

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas! dee

Old 12-13-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
flygirl3
(female)

flygirl3 HB User

Hi,

I think we got great news, and wanted to say thank you for all the prayers and support. God has so far answered all of them to the last detail. Looks like husband may get to come home tommorrow, and also we got the pathology reports back. The surgeon said the neoadjuvent (prior chemo/radiation) was HIGHLY effective and said that the original tumor, golf ball size, was literally blasted to nothing and only "specs" of cancer were found in the original tumor site, and within everything that was removed and sent to pathology, the 4 lymphnodes that were found (closest to tumor) showed no sign of cancer. He suspects other nodes may have been killed by radiation/chemo.

Question though- at time of dx and staging he was staged a 111 because it appeared that one of the lymph nodes closest to tumor was affected. I can't remember if it did go through the wall, I think it did to stage him a 111, this is where I get confused. But now, since they did this surgery and found no lymph node involvement (based on those 4) does that make him technically a 2 now? And what type of post chemo/treatment do you think we should do? My fear is that it looked like originally there was lymph nodes affected and now these were clear. My husband even now worries after these results about it in other nodes that weren't tested possibly. Surgeon says if it was going to spread it would of gone to these ones first? This may be a ? for CD.

Thank you again!!!! This is the best news that we could of received at this point, should make for a nice holiday.
flygirl

Closed Thread