It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Back in hospital

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-2007, 05:59 AM   #1
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User
Back in hospital

Hi there...happy new year. I am back in the hospital...went in early Fri. morn, after bad stomach cramps from Wed. on turned into violent vomiting. Was at my folks', so was finally transfered to my home hospital yesterday.. my surgeon will be in tomorrow, but the fellow on knows me well. I have adhesions causing a partial blockage. They want to wait it out and try to avoidd surgery. I am so frustrated...I've been through this so many times...I go on tpn, then weeks later end up in the OR anyway. How is it that waiting (NPO), makes scar tissue go away?

Any advice is appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2007, 08:06 AM   #2
Nassau one
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Back in hospital

Oh cats, I am so sorry to hear you are back in hospital! What a rough ride you are having! I guess having NPO prevents any more blockage and allows present blockage to resolve itself. I do hope it does and that you do not need surgery.
Much love,

Old 01-01-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hi Alison. How are YOU feeling? Hope you are well.

The attending doc is ordering a small bowel scan and will either do a colonoscopy or contrast enema test. I'm rooting for a colonoscopy because i am already cleaned out and they will put me out. I have had the enema test (diff. then barium enema) and it is very painful. This will likely take place tomorrow due to holiday.

I am slightly concerned about her response when I asked if his was caused by a recurrence or new tumor...she just said we would wait for the tests. She may also order a CT. I know that it is most likely adhesions, given my history, but it is scary to think about cancer again. I had been thinking much less about that recently.

Hope you are all well,
Cats

Old 01-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Nassau one
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am not too bad...still getting over 4 cycles of chemo and looking forward to feeling more normal (whatever that is!) again. I was saying to my husband this morning that it is a shame we cannot go into the new year with a clean slate...no illness! Both of us will be tested again soon so it is double the stress for us now!!!

I guess the attending doctor does not want to give an opinion without the tests but, as you say, it is much more likely it is adhesions. Hopefully you will know soon.

Hang in there!

Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
hiswife1
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

Hi Cats,

I am so sorry that you are back in the hospital. That is not a fun way to spend New Year's Eve. I agree with Alison that it may be that it will let the blockage resolve itself. Try not to read too much into the doctor's response. We have learned through all of this that you can't go too much by their answers at times. I hope by now that you are feeling better and that the blockage is correcting itself. I will say extra prayers that you get a really good report today and hopefully the colonoscopy.

Hi Alison,

I will say extra prayers that both you and your husband will get only good reports. I know how stressful it is when it gets close to scan time. DH will have another ct the 22nd of this month and I am already getting really nervous.

Hopefully the side effects from your chemo will be gone soon and you'll start to feel normal again.

Both of you take good care and again I will keep you in my prayers for good results. dee

Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #6
cinda
(female)

cinda HB User

((((cats)))) just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. Feel better.

~cinda

Old 01-04-2007, 05:01 AM   #7
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hi and thanks for the well wishes. I am still in the hospital... They could not find the block on the barium test, so they let me start eating yesterday. The plan is that if I get pain/vomiting I go straight to OR for lapro removal of adhesions. My bowels are too rested to go in now - he does not want to cut anything that is not problematic. SO, I ate lunch at 12:30 and at about 3 I became very dizzy, bloated, burping (vitals OK, blood sugar normal)...Then at 6 I drank some water and managed to pass a little gas and bariummy stool.

My belly is flater now and I will try to eat breakfast. If it goes well, I go home this afternoon. I feel like a ticking timebomb, though. Doesn't it seem a bit archaeic to wait until I get violently ill before we go in and fix things? It is a frustrating plan when you consider I have 2 small boys and a hubby who will be traveling. Of course the most important thing is that my doc does not think this is recurrence related at all...though I'd feel better if we squeezed in a CT for good measure .

Thanks for the support. I'll keep you posted.
take care,
Cats

Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM   #8
hiswife1
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

Hi Cats,

Good to hear that things moved a little. Hopefully all will go well with your eating today and you can go home. It is very good news that your doctor doesn't think it is a recurrence. Good luck and I hope we hear from you "at home" later today. dee

Old 01-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
CancerDad
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Cats:
I'm praying and sending good wishes. I am very sorry for all your problems... esp around the holidays. You know what I FINALLY had to do with all my problems-- dare I say the word colostomy. I don't know if it's the New England weather or what?? Then again, I still have issues--different, but DEFINITE issues nonetheless.. Please keep us posted so we don't worry too much... I'm still lurking around.

Wishing you ALL the best,
CD

Old 01-04-2007, 08:23 PM   #10
edinaman
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User

Cats, my thoughts are with you. Hopefully things will continue to improve and you will be home. The doctor sounds, encouraging which is good. Let's hope the worst is behind you now, and the new year will bring you only the best.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:42 PM   #11
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Hi,

I am home and feeling better...I'll write more (probably lots more) a bit later...lots of time to make up for w/the boys.

Thank you all for the prayers and support...please keep them coming for me and for my brother, whose scan didn't go as we hoped yesterday...UGH. I'm so disgusted w/cancer right now.

More later, and thanks again!

Take care,
Cats

Old 01-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerDad
Cats:
I'm praying and sending good wishes. I am very sorry for all your problems... esp around the holidays. You know what I FINALLY had to do with all my problems-- dare I say the word colostomy. I don't know if it's the New England weather or what?? Then again, I still have issues--different, but DEFINITE issues nonetheless.. Please keep us posted so we don't worry too much... I'm still lurking around.

Wishing you ALL the best,
CD
Thank you all for the support! [Cinda - how are things?]

CD - I am curious...how would a colostomy solve this? I'm confused. Isn't the area being blocked up high, so this would be a problem even if I had a colostomy? They seemed to say the only cure for this was to go on tpn for the rest of my life - not exactly appealing... maybe I misunderstood?? Thanks for lurking!

Last edited by gocatsgo; 01-06-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
CancerDad
Senior Veteran
(male)

CancerDad HB User

Cat:
I'm sorry... I think I misunderstood too. However, I can't IMAGINE that they transected you so high up past the ileum... which means, instead of going through obstructions and TPN, etc, there is no reason I can see why they couldn't give you back an ileostomy. They would do it on the left side of your navel to avoid scar tissue from your previous ostomy site. I can imagine you are almost to the point where I was with painfully dilating daily only to leak and not have the anastamosis stay open. My understanding is that they reconnected your ileum to ileum, or cecum to cecum past the ileocecal valve. I don't know WHAT kind of anastamosis they performed, (my guess is a direct end to end and I would question why instead of a side to side anastamosis,which works like a functional end-to-end. In other words... when they took down your ileostomy, they could have connected it right at the end sewn or stapled to the other end; or, they could have performed a functional end to end *which is really a side to side* where they sew or staple the two sides put together sort of overlapping, which allows for a much bigger "connection"). You can ask your surgeon, or get copies of your hospital records where s/he had to file a dictation of exactly what was done. I can only imagine that they would choose the best treatment given your health history.???????

It just makes no sense to me WHY they would put you through a diversion and not follow through with a re-connection that would give you the best chance. I don't know... maybe they DID, and this is just the way your body reacts to such a procedure...maybe they didn't/couldn't.

I wish you a very speedy recovery and that you can catch a break in the new year!!

Fondly,
CD

Old 01-07-2007, 08:01 AM   #14
gocatsgo
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Thanks for the info, CD
Here is what I THINK is going on... The resection I had on 9/1 was a side by side, brand new connection at the ileostomy site. That area is OPEN now, as seen in a UGI w/Small Bowel Follow-Through. The current problem, as I understand it is that somewhere "up high" there is an adhesion that is wrapped around the bowel, causing it to kink up...this is causing a partial blockage. Unless there was damage to the bowel, I think that they would only cut away the adhesion and NOT have to do a resection.

As of today I am having bms and things seem to be working OK...though I would guess that I am still slightly blocked just by the way the gas is going up more then down and I'm not going to the bathroom my usual 10-20 times per day. I guess it is a matter of time before it all builds up and I get the cramps/vomiting again... I think the fellow that was giving me the "tpn for life" scenario was a little unprofessional. We are a ways off from that, I think.

For now I will keep thinking positive that there was a miracle and my scar tissue has dissapeared. I'm going to take Bossan's advice and live in denial on this one!!

Take care,
Cats

Closed Thread