It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

What next?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-16-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User
What next?

My husband was diag with LC 5/05 ( non smoker) he had his upper right lobe taken out and had four months of Chemo.He goes in for scans every three months and this last scan showed an uptake in his mid abdomn. The pet report said to have a ct scan of the abdomn but his onc said he should go for a colonoscopy.I would think a CT scan would be better. His last pet scan in 2006 didn't shpw this. Hubby said he has had enough but we are going to the gasto doc today. Words of advice please. On my LC board one person wrote me and said he always has an uptake in his colon and that he was told it was normal????Also DH always has an uptake in his thyroid since the scans started and with and ultra sound and labs they are not worried since those tests show nothing wrong.

Last edited by lorriem; 01-16-2007 at 10:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #2
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User
Re: What next?

one other thing my cousins husband had colon and stomach cancer three years ago they went to sloan and he had surgery and all was removed. fast forward to three months ago and he now has LC so if my husband has colon cancer this feels like a sick joke.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
DADDY'SLILGIRL
(female)

DADDY'SLILGIRL HB User
Re: What next

I think a colonoscopy would be more appropriate than a CT scan. My father had an increase in uptake on his PET scan in his stomach and they did an upper GI and found he had stomach cancer and were able to biopsy it right then.

I would see if the doctor would also recommend an upper GI as well as a colonoscopy considering it says its in the mid-abdomen. A CT scan may help in locating the are but its not going to give any more information than the PET scan did already. Unfortunately in the GI; its better to go in and let the docs take a look; that way you know for sure.

Good luck; I hope its nothing!

Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User

Lorriem,

I'm not sure if I will be able to help you. I'm not sure what LC (lung cancer ???) means ? How old is your husband? A colonoscopy can pick up problems in your colon that a c-scan may miss. If colon cancer runs in your husband's family history, yes it would be a good idea to get a colonoscopy.

Hope this helps,

Lee

Old 01-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #5
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Thank you Lee
Yes LC is Lung Cancer.He is also 64 and has never had a colonoscopy.No it doesn't run in his family either and he has never had any bowel problems not even a hemmroid.He is as regular as can be so much so that I can time him. I am even jealous of him. I am just worried that on his report from the pet scan said to have a CT scan since it would show more of his mid abdomn upper right lobe.He did have a ct scan the same day of is PET scan but only the neck and head.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:21 AM   #6
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Thank you daddyslilgirl.
we saw the gatro doc yesterday and he only reccomended the colonoscopy. He really didn't answer any of our questions eiter. It seems that no one knoes what an uptake of suv 4.7 means in his mid abdomn right upper lobe. We asked our primary last week and our ONC last week and then the gasto doc yesterday.Strange. I asked my brother who is a dentist in the Navy and he doesn't know either but he did say if it is in the mid abdomn a colonoscopy will not show what the problem is .All it will show is if he has any polyps. I would like a cT scan just to pin point the correct location.DH Tyhroid since early 2006 has shown an uptake also but all the correct tests have been done and show no problems and no change in a year with he thyroid.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User

lorriem,

EVERBODY should have a colonoscopy at age 50 (if not sooner), weather it runs in the family or not. Colon cancer starts out as a polyp in the colon and can turn into cancer in 5-10 yrs. During the polyp stage it is considered 100% curable, when removed via a colonoscopy. Colonoscopies can prevent colon cancer from occuring. I was 46 when I was diagnosed with no family history of it. I had no symptoms either, other than rectal bleeding (hemorrids DO run in my family) my doctor thought this would be a good excuse to get my baseline colonscopy early in life.

I'm telling you this because I'm assuming your 50+ yrs old also. PLease both you and your husband should get colonscopies.

Regarding your husbands pet scan, sometimes they show things (I believe this is what your're referring to as uptake), and now the doctor wants to get a c-scan to get a better picture. It doesn't always mean the cancer has returned. I get monitored via c-scans, colonoscopies, and blood work.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Lee

Old 01-17-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee a View Post
lorriem,

EVERBODY should have a colonoscopy at age 50 (if not sooner), weather it runs in the family or not. Colon cancer starts out as a polyp in the colon and can turn into cancer in 5-10 yrs. During the polyp stage it is considered 100% curable, when removed via a colonoscopy. Colonoscopies can prevent colon cancer from occuring. I was 46 when I was diagnosed with no family history of it. I had no symptoms either, other than rectal bleeding (hemorrids DO run in my family) my doctor thought this would be a good excuse to get my baseline colonscopy early in life.

I'm telling you this because I'm assuming your 50+ yrs old also. PLease both you and your husband should get colonscopies.

Regarding your husbands pet scan, sometimes they show things (I believe this is what your're referring to as uptake), and now the doctor wants to get a c-scan to get a better picture. It doesn't always mean the cancer has returned. I get monitored via c-scans, colonoscopies, and blood work.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Lee
Thank you Lee and I agree with you about the colonoscopy but that is the only test his ONC wants him to have. We want a CT scan as the report from the PET scan suggested and his ONC is not listening. I feel the CT would be more helpfull right now heck they can even do the colonoscopy also just please do the CT scan

Old 01-17-2007, 06:19 PM   #9
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Our ONC called us and he is setting up a ct for us.No problem and he does agree with us that the CT should be done.I think when he read the report the first time he missed the suggestion in the PTscan report

Old 01-17-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
Anders
(female)

Anders HB User

Sounds like it's working out, I am glad to hear that. Guess I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. But I am glad they are doing a c-scan.

The best of luck to your husband,

Lee

P.S. Get those colonscopies done for both of you.

Old 01-18-2007, 10:34 AM   #11
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

Our ONC called last night and set up CT scan for my husband per the PET scans report that recommened the CT scan.
I want to thank (ALL) of you for your input.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #12
lorriem
Veteran
(female)

lorriem HB User

We got the scan results today and they are great NED.Hubby will get a colonoscopy but we will take some time to breath maybe in two weeks.Thanks for your advice and help.

Closed Thread