It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Colon/Bowl Question

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-24-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
ccel1
(male)

ccel1 HB User
Colon/Bowl Question

Hi i wonder if anyone can help, I wanted to know something, is it a Gastrololigist that the doctor must refer you to for a colonscopy and endoscopy? to check if everything is ok? because thats where the doctor refered me to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
hiswife1
(female)

hiswife1 HB User
Re: Colon/Bowl Question

Yes, most of the time it is a gastrologist who does those proceedures. My husband has had both proceedures and he says that they aren't bad at all. Good luck and I will say an extra prayers that you find some answers soon.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
jaydees
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

A general surgeon can also do a colonoscopy. In my small town that's who does it. I had also been reffered to a colo-rectal surgeon for my cancer surgery as it was in a region the general surgeon did not feel comfortable working on. The C-R surgeon has also done two colonoscopies on me.

What you need to know is how experienced the person you go to is. The general surgeon in my town probably does at least one a month. The C-R surgeon about 10 a week(but he is in a city of 750,000). If your guy only does 3 or 4 a year I'd ask for a more experienced practioner.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
ccel1
(male)

ccel1 HB User

I'm scared, the doc refered me to the Gastrologist, because of my constant worrying, and i kept tellin him my symptoms but in the begining he didnt want to refer me as i have had an abdoman scan which has been normal, and a fecal occult blood test which was negative to! i am only 21.. i have been getting problems when i open my bowls i seem to open them twice a day, but its a pale stool, i don't know wot that means?? its not gone back to the normal brown colour like before, its a light brown, kind of light orange colour! and sometimes i notice the odd blood.. when i eat a little bit i seem to get full quike also, and it all comes up in my throat, like when i burp or bend down little sick will come up.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
jaydees
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User

With your symptoms it sounds like a gastrologist is the one for you. You are having problems that may be either upper or lower bowel in origin.

Try to keep in mind that worrying will serve no purpose other than to make you more miserable. This is, I know, easier to say than do but do try to remain calm.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #6
anprdp
(female)

anprdp HB User

I would definetly not feel guilty about the referral. From your symptoms, I would say you needed to be evaluated. The stool and other symptoms leads me to believe you need an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. If your bowels are having problems, the excess gas you are supposed to expel through that area can back up and cause you to burp frequently and sometimes churn the acid in your stomach to cause vomit to regurgitate. Or GERD could cause some of the same symptoms in moderate to severe cases. Do you smoke? Smoking, especially menthol, can cause bouts like you describe. I would go to the doctor whom you have been given to and tell him all your symptoms. He/she will be the best person to advise you in this case. But, I would for one not worry about your GP and two try not to assume the worst as your symptoms could be GERD, Gastritis, or a number of other conditions that can be easily treated with medicine. Take care of yourself.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:26 AM   #7
ccel1
(male)

ccel1 HB User

I have never smoked in my life, or did drugs, i'm only 21... my family smoke but thats not my problem... anxiety can cause acid coming up which leads u to burp doesnt it? what about the stool colour? its always light, neva dark.. its like a like brown.. almost colourless.. i can't explain.. is this normal? its not been that normal brown colour in a long time.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:03 AM   #8
anprdp
(female)

anprdp HB User

It could be anxiety, but most likely that is just adding to the already existing problem. Which very well could be GERD. After my colon resection, I had to go back to the doctor for a very similar problem. It just seemed my gas was not passing and instead coming back the opposite direction. I would sit up all night, could not sleep, and just burp. Which to most people, would not seem to be a big deal, but it is very uncomfortable and I thought it might drive me crazy. That is when my doctor switched me to Pamine Forte and I took it for awhile, which helped. It eventually subsided on its on which I concluded my bowel had not healed quite properly yet, which was why it was an occuring problem. I would view you need a colonoscopy and an endoscopy to rule out why this is happening. When the problem was mine, I did a search on a few occasions and found lots of people experience this problem and just not after bowel resection. It is an odd problem, but definetly something worth looking at for your ability to be comfortable. As far as the color of your stool, it could be anything and I would not jump to anything as serious as cancer just yet. Most stool color variations are due to things you consume. Medicines, foods, drinks, etc. can alter what you would consider normal stool colors. I have seen stools for babies become purple after eating certain colors or even orange or red. This still holds the same for adults. Do not misconstrue that I am trying to belittle your problem, as I do think you seeing a gastroenterologist is something you should do. I am just trying to waylay your thoughts of going to right to serious issues, as with your age (even though I realize through my own experiences it is still possilbe) it is unlikely this is cancer.

The very best wishes to you and please let us know what you find out.

Angelia

Old 02-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
ccel1
(male)

ccel1 HB User

I was in the hospital the other day, and was examined again, had verious blood tests before.. which where also normal! didnt indicate any internal bleeding.. i'm just worried! i'm only 21! i have lost my appitite.. i feel very full when eating a tiny bit.. bloated! is that a sign of anxiety? and like i said my stool colour is light brown.. is this a normal colour? when i asked the doc if this could be the issue he laughed it off.. he said not at your age! finally because i have pushed and pushed he has arranged for me to see a gastreonologist.. but that was a month ago and i havent yet recieved anything threw the post about my appointment.

Closed Thread