It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

Colon Cancer - advice please

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #1
deb960
(female)

deb960 HB User
Colon Cancer - advice please

Hi
My mum had an xray a week and half ago after being in severe pain for a couple of months and they found a growth - she was operated on the next day and they took out a tangerine size lump which is cancerous.

My mum is at home now and was recovering well until her wound got an infection, so now being treated for that.
My question is what happens next, will she have a further xray to see if they managed to get all the cancer or give her chemo anyway?

Also is there things she should and shouldnt be eating - sorry to sound so vague, but this has come as a shock to us.
thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Nassau one
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Colon Cancer - advice please

I can imagine how you are feeling right now and hope your mother continues to recover well from the surgery and infection. Have you asked the surgeon about the staging of her cancer? Normally around the time of surgery, staging is done, usually by ct scan and also what they find when they go in. The staging will determine whether she is to get chemotherapy treatment. You say it is colon cancer. If that is the case, she will probably not receive radiotherapy.

There are lots of people on this board who are doing well having been dx with colorectal cancer and there is lots of hope for your mother. It is a scary time, but try to find out as much as possible from the surgeon/oncologist so that you feel better prepared for the future.

Let us know what you find out and we will be better able to help you.

Love and prayers,

Old 01-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #3
anprdp
(female)

anprdp HB User

Deb,

I know this is a time full of panic and dismay for you and I sincerely hope you and your mother are holding up. Alison is very right, however. Depending on the exact diagnosis for your mother, will determine if she needs/will receive chemotherapy, radiation, more surgery, or what not. In my case, mine had not developed into cancer yet, just giant tumors. So the colon resection was all that I needed. As for my brother in law, he under went emergency surgery to remove the orange sized tumor, then proceeded with 6 months of chemotherapy, of which I took him to every Friday or it might have been every other Friday. (Note: Two kids, lots of surgery drugs, and lots of sleep have passed so my memory gets a bit senile) Anyhow, try to take it one step at a time. Go with your mother to the doctor and discuss your questions and your wishes. Of course, you are welcome to ask here anything we can answer, but in most cases your doctor will be the greatest source of information. Always know you can find support here. We are always looking for ways to lighten the load of this terrible disease.

Best Wishes,

Angelia
Poster child for colonoscopies everywhere =) Get one !!
Repeat colonoscopy Feb. 9th

God Bless!

Old 01-29-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
VPatient
(male)

VPatient HB User

Hi,
Here is what will happen, you mom will need to rest for 5 weeks. in this time only eat soup and drink vitamin shake like boost or ensure...she can eat but only low fiber food...dont want it to be stuck in the wound.
She should have been told by now by the doctor which stage she is in. and if the lymp nodes are infected, then chemo will be required. They will do a PET Scan after the 5 th week to see if it has healed completely...

it is terrifying...but you will find alot of support here.
Good luck.
dont hesitate to ask questions.
I still have questions myself...

Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
deb960
(female)

deb960 HB User

Hi
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to you all. Mum recovered well from the operation and at long last got her results through last week. They managed to catch the cancer in time and it has not spread although they will be giving her chemo to zap her just in case.
We are so pleased with the result and cannot believe it.
Just wanted to say again, thanks for your understanding and you have all been a massive help.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Nassau one
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

I am so glad the cancer had not spread. That is great news! Please keep us informed of her progress and, if you have any further questions or concerns, just ask!

Love and prayers,

Closed Thread