It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Colon Cancer/Pollops

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
    love my tum
    (female)

love my tum HB User
    Colon Cancer/Pollops

My mum was diagnosed with Cancer of the colon and had an operation to remove the tumour. She has been told there are pollops (have I spelt it right) left inside her which need to be removed. It will be a day surgery procedure, and take around 3 hours. What are pollops and why do they need to be removed? Does anyone have any information to help me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2007, 09:39 AM   #2
    anprdp
    (female)

anprdp HB User
    Re: Colon Cancer/Pollops

Polyps are the beginning of cancerous growths. They are benign for years until they turn. The average 40 year old has one polyp by medical studies, although I think colonoscopies should begin at 30. Most polyps can be cut out during a colonoscopy.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:44 PM   #3
    westy40
    (male)

westy40 HB User

If colonoscopies were made mandatory say by the age of 40 or so..colon cancer would be nearly wiped out since colon cancer ALMOST always starts out as benign polyps that over a 7-15 year time span turn cancerous.

Alot of at risk people who need colonoscopies can't get them because of no insurance etc and cannot afford the procedure. Of all the cancers out there I think this is one that literally can be prevented.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
    anprdp
    (female)

anprdp HB User

My insurance did pay and pays for my colonoscopies every year and I am thankful they did as it saved my life. I started at 28 with them and still ended up losing 1/3 my colon. I really think 30 should be the prime testing age as everyone I know (including myself) that personally has colon cancer or had colon resections had them done before 40. My brother in law was 38 and I was 28. I think the studies do not show the correct information as to when people are really experiencing this disease. My brother in law is now at the point since a new spot was found for a total colon removal. I feel if he had a test at 30 he might have been spared this. But, then again wonder how many people would actually get tested?

Old 04-16-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
    ricenbeanz
    (female)

ricenbeanz HB User

This subject makes me so angry. 15 years ago, my grandmother was diagnosed with colon cancer when she was 76 and died at 79 from the disease. She took excellent care of herself and went for her check ups every year, usually more often. I know for a fact that her doctor never even suggested a colonoscopy in all the years he treated her. If any doctor had told her at age 40, 50, 60, 70 or EVER, that she should have that test, she certainly would have had it done and would not have died of this disease. I think doctors should make this a routine screening for their patients, or at the very least suggest to them that it's time to have one done. After my grandmother passed, I hounded my mother until she had one. I just turned 50 and I've had 2 colonoscopies and they were no big deal. My doctor told me that no one should have to die of this disease.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
    westy40
    (male)

westy40 HB User

I am sorry you had to go through all that anprdp. I do agree with you that it does seem like there are many young people(under 40) who get stricken with colon cancer.
    I know a lot of young people come on the board fearful that they have colon cancer without being fully checked out. I try to just give a bit of advice (trying to lessen their anxiety) with regards to what my doctor told me at 23 of what my chances of colon cancer were when I was experiencing bleeding. He even showed me statistics and everything telling me the chances were extremely remote that I would have anything bad. He even told me I had colitis and that was most likely the culprit of the bleeding. Of course there was no way he could be 100% sure without doing a scope.

Yet like you said.. and as your experience has shown you that people get stricken early in life. The last statistic I saw was that 3% of all colon cancers are from people under 40 which is why I don't think there ever will be any kind of recommendation for routine colonoscopies for people under 40. Yet we do know that polyps can grow for decades..up to 20 years before something happens so it can all be confusing.
    People who have familial polyps of course need to get checked in their 20s because they almost always get colon cancer and usually have their colons removed.

Ricenbeanz..I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know of a woman who at 69 had abdominal pain for two years and doctors kept treating her for "female" problems only to find out to late that it was colon cancer. It was totally preventable.

I just hope people become more aware that colonoscopies save lives and if you are having abdominal problems or bleeding etc just insist on a colonoscopy if the doctor doesnt push for it.

Closed Thread