It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Duke B Colon Cancer surgery. Patient died after 7 days

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2007, 07:26 AM   #1
    elvisx77
    (male)

elvisx77 HB User
    Duke B Colon Cancer surgery. Patient died after 7 days

My mother was diagnosed with a duke b colon cancer and underwent surgery and she passed away after 7 days of the surgery due to severe blood infection and pneumonic situation, finally a heart problem. She didnít have any of these illnesses before the surgery.

A 30cm long piece from the colon was removed during the surgery. The name of the cancer is Adenocarcinoma. The cancer had NOT affected any other organ including lymph nodes. Just after the surgery the doctor inserted a tube under her belly button to remove the Abscess from inside. This was removed after three days.

Doctor said that some fluid came out from the resection area (right side of her abdomen) and fluid was collecting in her right lung and it was not functioning properly.

I am so upset due to her loss and want to know what went wrong. Please explain how this kind of surgery is performed to get an idea what went wrong.

Please help.

Last edited by elvisx77; 06-09-2007 at 07:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
    Re: Duke B Colon Cancer surgery. Patient died after 7 days

I am SO sorry to hear about your mother. I cannot advise as any surgery has certain risks but can imagine how distraught you must be.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
    bmccrea
    (female)

bmccrea HB User
    Re: Duke B Colon Cancer surgery. Patient died after 7 days

I too extend my sympathy. My surgery was done laprascopically, 18 inches of colon removed. While I did not have any other problems, I do remember having to breathe into a machine to exercise my lungs. Pneumonia is always a concern after any kind of surgery where one has to lie in bed for a while. I did not have a drainage tube, but with an abcess, maybe that is why your mom had one. It sounds like your mom might have had congestive heart failure. I don't know, but my dad had pneumonia and then congestive heart failure. Also lost an aunt with the same thing. Both were elderly though.
    Again I am sorry and wish I could help you more with your questions.
    Take care,
    Barbara

Closed Thread