It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Dad has tumours on Liver now....

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-05-2007, 09:08 PM   #1
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User
    Unhappy Dad has tumours on Liver now....

The last time I posted was last year, mainly because I had a baby and have no time to myself anymore but I just had to sign up again and reach out for help.
    In short, my father had colorectal cancer 6 years ago, had the tumour removed, didnt spread; did Radiation, couldnt make it to do "light" form of Chemo.
    So 4 years later the tumour grew back in the exact same spot as the first one. Once again, it was removed and he was given a temporary Ileostomy bag which was reversed a year later. This second surgeries' pathology report showed that one lymph node out of several tested, showed traces of cancer so they suggested Chemo again. Father completed it like a champ! He has been cancer free for 1 and a 1/2 years and now we just learned that a recent Ct scan showed spots on his liver which they conclude are cancerous and need to be removed.
    How can they tell from a CT scan if it is cancerous or not??? Also, is it safe to have anotehr CT scan in such a short period of time? I thought you were only allowed to have so many per year and already he has had 3 or 4.
    My father has been complaining of feeling swollen and bloated, is this a bad sign?
    I know the liver regenerates itself, but what are the odds that he will make it?

I am just beside myself with horror, my family has been going through this hell for too long.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
    Re: Dad has tumours on Liver now....

Smart cookie, we have missed you! I am so sorry to hear that there is a concern that your Dad's cancer may be back. I am not sure what the plan is as you mention another cat scan. Cat scans cannot conclusively determine if a spot or lesion is malignant...they thought some spots on my husband's liver after he completed treatment were malignant but they were not and have not grown or changed over the past three years. I have also been diagnosed with follicular lymphoma (what a lucky family we are!) and I also have spots on my liver, which have not changed over the past year.

There are several options for colo/rectal cancer that has spread to the liver so try not to despair. Firstly, they need to confirm that the spots are indeed cancer and then they will let you know what the treatment plan is. I am sorry he is not feeling well. Do let us know how things go. I hope you have been able to enjoy your new baby!

Love,

Old 07-07-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
    jen4relient
    (female)

jen4relient HB User

hey smartcookie. thanks for your reply earlier.
    anyways, they also concluded just from my dad's CT scans that his tumors were malignant. they still haven't confirmed that the tumors in his lungs are cancerous, but since colon cancer most often spreads to the liver and lungs, they are pretty positive.
    first off, i wouldn't worry too much about him having another CT scan. they're doing them on my dad every 2 months, so i'd say your dad is safe.

we've been doing our best to ignore "the chances." yes, it's lower once the cancer has spread, but it sounds like your dad is a fighter and he will get through this.
    it's great that they are already talking of removing the cancerous spots- my dad is inoperable. they can remove as much as 85% of the liver without much harm. my aunt had a liver ressection and she pulled through just fine.

your family is in my prayers. *hug*

Old 07-07-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User

Oh Alison - I cannot believe this. I am so sorry that you too now have to experience this first hand. I mean, what in the heck is happening to our world???? Please, I will try and check back often, let me know what is happenign with you. How did you discover this??
    Re my father, he had had a CT scan back in August I belive, and he was told not to worry about these spots, they would monitor them. He is on so many meds that perhaps the spots were due to them. OK, so, he has this other one in May - he had landed himself in the hospital b/c he complained of not being able to "go" for over a week. Cause for concern, given his history. So it was that CT scan that showed a NEW spot, that wasnt there before. We waited from MAY - and he had yet another CT scan just a few weeks ago and now they say its most likely cancer and are speaking of surgery.
    While in hospital, he had a procedure done to sort of "open" or enlargen his rectum so that he wouldnt be "backed up" but now he is complaining that he cannot control his bowel movements and is quite upset and embarrassed. He isnt fond of the idea of wearing adult diapers and even when he does (mostly at bedtime) he claims he still leaks by the time he gets to the bathroom. I feel for him, and my mother to have to go through all of this. I dont know what to do for him/them. I dont.
    A family friend of ours was diagnosed with the same as my father in teh very same year but only hers had spread to her liver. She did the chemo and surgery and all, and to this day, has had no recurrence.
    I wonder if they will suggest chemo again for my father, and I have a feeling if they do, he will refuse it. Then what?
    Also, when it is in the liver, does this have any bearing on what stage it is, meaning, can it be stage 2 in the liver, or is it automatically stage 3 or 4?

Jen, I am sorry your dad is inoperable. Will they do treatment first, and then reconsider that???
    How long ago did your aunt have her liver resection? And, was it due to cancer or some other disease? If cancer, was it the primary location?
    Goodness, I really really pray wtih each birthday candle I blow out, that we find a cure for Cancer so that not one other life has to suffer.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:59 AM   #5
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I understand now why they are saying the liver lesions are cancer. But all is not lost. There are several options for colon cancer that has spread to the liver, apart from chemotherapy. I know your Dad will not want to do chemo again but, if it is recommended, he may agree to do it. I am sorry he is having bowel problems and I understand why he would not want to wear adult diapers, but I am sure there are lots of people wearing them without anyone suspecting. If it gives him some security and comfort, then I would encourage him to wear them. It is distressing for him though. I believe that, if the cancer has spread to the liver, it is Stage 1V. I know of several people on different boards with Stage 1V who are still with us and some doing very well. Remember KteeUK? Her husband was Stage 1V and is doing very well.

As to my lymphoma, it was diagnosed when I had a scan to find out what was causing a slight pain in my left lower pelvis (probably a mild case of diverticulitis) and the scan showed multiple enlarged lymph nodes higher up in the mesentery. Just shows that we have no idea what is going on in our bodies sometimes! Luckily it is slow growing but cannot be cured...but can be treated. I feel fine.

Your father is so lucky to have you for support and I am sure your mother too appreciates all you do for the two of them.

Love,

Old 07-08-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
    jen4relient
    (female)

jen4relient HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smartcookie View Post

Jen, I am sorry your dad is inoperable. Will they do treatment first, and then reconsider that???
    How long ago did your aunt have her liver resection? And, was it due to cancer or some other disease? If cancer, was it the primary location?
    Goodness, I really really pray wtih each birthday candle I blow out, that we find a cure for Cancer so that not one other life has to suffer.
    yeah, they're doing treatment first and hoping that they can operate on either the colon or liver.
    my aunt had liver cancer over five years ago. they told her she had very slim chances of living because her kidneys were shutting down. they did the surgery, and she turned around completely. she's been perfectly healthy until the past few months when they found a lump in her breast. we still aren't sure if it's benign or malignant yet, so there is hope.

don't get discouraged! when i look back at the grief my family was in when we first heard the news compared to how we are now, i feel much better. you will have treatment options.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User

I just dont know what to feel right now - today I learned he may also have spots on his lungs. What is happening? Where do we go from here?

He had another CT scan and we have to wait until next week or so to get those results, but as far as I know, he is going to have this surgery for his liver for sure - but my father is acting as if he may not have to have it afterall, I think he is in denial. Totally different from the previous 2 times, where he went into a severe depression and didnt leave the house nor really speak to anyone. Should I be worried that he is acting this way, or grateful that this time he is taking a different approach?

I am frightened at what the next few weeks will bring me and my family, I really am.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:48 PM   #8
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen4relient View Post
    yeah, they're doing treatment first and hoping that they can operate on either the colon or liver.
    my aunt had liver cancer over five years ago. they told her she had very slim chances of living because her kidneys were shutting down. they did the surgery, and she turned around completely. she's been perfectly healthy until the past few months when they found a lump in her breast. we still aren't sure if it's benign or malignant yet, so there is hope.

don't get discouraged! when i look back at the grief my family was in when we first heard the news compared to how we are now, i feel much better. you will have treatment options.
    -Jen, have you heard anything on your aunt yet?

Old 07-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #9
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User

As fathers appointment inches closer, I am getting more scared....i have a bunch of questions for anyone out there......
    Is it possible that the docs tell us that "it doesnt look good" even though
    these spots on father's liver seem fairly new? How fast can they grow? Why
    havent they done a biospy? What if the shadow or spot on his lung turns out to be cancer as well, then what? Are his chances of recovery/survival even more slim, or the same? Do they usually recommend Chemo or Radiation for Lung /liver cancer? What if father refuses?
    If he needs both surgeries, which will come first? I hope these questions dont sound dumb, I am just not myself lately and cant think straight.
    Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #10
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User

Alright, doc says fathers lungs are clear, look good. He said that the tumour on the liver is small and they will be taking out 50% of the liver. I didn't realize it was such a huge operation and riskier than Heart Bypass surgery, with all the risks of bleeding to death, or forming blood clots and even the size of the incision!
    He also offered us a PET scan, not sure if father would be willing to be subjected to more tests and appointments but if anyone has worthwile information for me, please do post it here for me, so I can take back to my father.

He also mentioned Chemo after surgery, but not sure what drugs are being considered. Can anyone tell me if there are some common ones for this type of cancer, and their effects?

Thanks....

Old 07-24-2007, 08:36 PM   #11
    jen4relient
    (female)

jen4relient HB User

that sounds like positive news! that's great that his lungs are clean.
    after his surgery, the "standard" (or so i've heard) is the FOLFOX cocktail (5-FU, Leucovorin, and Oxaliplatin). my dad is also getting a couple others, but the side effects from those are generally: fever, diarrhea or constipation, neuropathy (tingling in fingers and toes/ sensitivity to cold and heat), fever, etc.
    i'm not sure what they'll give your dad though, that's just what i've heard most commonly.

P.S.- i think that my mom knows something about my aunt, but isn't telling me or my dad b/c she thinks we have enough to deal with right now... so i'm not sure about her situation.

Old 08-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User

So dad had his surgery and the surgeon didnt take as long as he said he would - the family all thought the worst when he came out earlier. But thankfully he said it was smaller and easier to remove than he thought and it only ended up being 10% of his liver, rather than the 50% he said previously. He also said there was a small tumour on the left lobe of the liver which they took out and examined and it was benign. Whew.
    Dad is in exruciating pain though, and he wasnt urinating quite enough so they were concerned. They took x-rays in ICU to see why his abdomen is so distended and he is in so much pain, even with high pain meds. They said it was excessive gas (from his previous colon problems) and they put a catheter in to remove some which seemed to help a bit, but they removed it and he is in pain again. What else can they do for him?
    He is talking as if he is hallucinating, i am assuming this is the morphine? How long can one be on morphine?
    He doest want to get out of bed yet, and he will spend up to 2 weeks in hospital. Is this normal?
    I am grateful that the surgery was complication-free but am so worried as to what the future brings.
    If anyone remembers my posts/dad's history, each time he has had cancer-related surgery,he falls deep into a depression and no one can reach him.
    What can I do? As i write this, I am almost in tears cause there he is at a far-away hospital, all alone, away from his family and in pain.
    I feel blessed in so many ways, but its times like these that make me want to give up life too...........

Old 08-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi Smartcookie, I am so sorry you are having to go through all this again. I cannot give advice on post surgery of the liver but don't forget, it is early days. Hopefully, the pain will start to ease in a day or two. I know it is so hard for you to see your Dad like this, especially as he tends to get depressed. That is not surprising. Take it all one day at a time. I hope each day gets a little easier. All you can do is to continue being the wonderful daughter you have always been. Encourage your Dad, show him you love him. I hope they find some way to ease his pain and discomfort very soon.

Keep us posted and hopefully someone who knows more about liver resection will add something more practical!

Love,

Old 08-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #14
    ktee_uk
    Inactive
    (female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi smartcookie and all

Husband had liver resection nearly 4 years ago and he is so far clear of recurrence of colon cancer. He was 45 at the time. It did take him quite a long time to recover as he got an infection which kept him in hospital for 6 weeks. Also he was really still recovering from the colon resection and 3 month oxaliplatin chemo.

It is a big op though ..... i expect there is a big scar. My husband had epidural pain relief for first 5 days then onto mild pain killers and of course each day he felt more comfortable. He did get out of bed each day and tried to walk a little more each day which helped his circulation and gas.

Have not been posting much recently, even on colorectalk ( good serch egines will take you there) , as i have been so busy with new work. Hope things are progressing well for you and your dad and family.

regards
    ktee_uk

Old 09-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #15
    Smartcookie
    Veteran
    (female)

Smartcookie HB User

Sorry havent posted in a while, have lots on the go.
    Father finds out tomorrow if he should do any Chemo..........
    He also is having trouble with feeling bloated, surgeon thinks its the scar tissue near the rectum causing the blockage/rectal stricture - he says last resort is to give father a permanent colostomy. Is there anything else that can be done instead??? Can't they try to dilitate the rectum, to sort of stretch it?
    He is only just now recovering from his Liver resection and is depressed (as expected) and so when he heard he could possibly get the "bag", he was on more of a downer.

Closed Thread