It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

How frequent is the blood?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User
How frequent is the blood?

Im waiting for the Gi to call me back so i can go in for a colonoscopy (Actually, im having something different done and dont remember the name. Its where they do not check the whole colon, only the bottom half... Id rather them just do a colonoscopy so i can be SURE.)

I was wondering, for you guys, how frequent were you finding blood in your stool?

I only had blood in my stool one day, and since then I have no had blood. It was bright red and mixed in with the stool. The dr said my symptoms sound more like IBS then anything else, but blood in stool is not from IBS, but is it weird I only had the blood one day? Im pretty sure it was blood anyway.

If you have cancer is the blood red or black?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #2
tlcintx
(male)

tlcintx HB User
Re: How frequent is the blood?

Jesse:

I saw traces of blood mixed with stool for a period of time and then one day saw lots of bright red blood. A colonoscopy revealed a rectal tumor that turned out to be stage III and had stread to several lymph nodes. That was last fall and today through chemo I appear to be cancer free......hang in there

Old 07-27-2007, 05:24 PM   #3
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User

Thanks.

The drs did a blood count on me and the outcome was very good, so they knew i didnt lose much blood at all. Im pretty sure it was only that once.

The wait is so long, I think im going to call the hospital and bug them, they said they dont think I have cancer, but WHAT IF, and theyre taking so long

Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
anprdp
(female)

anprdp HB User

I would not be so much worried about the blood test as them doing a sigmoid instead of a colonoscopy. Demand a colonoscopy, a sigmoid scope is worthless and the test should be put to rest.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User

Yes its a sigmoidscopy I think that they want to give me

ill call and see if i can get a colonoscopy

Old 07-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
backslide05
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

I know some HMOs won't do a colonoscopy first, they do a sigmoidoscopy. My sister is in this situation, and can't get them to pay for a colonoscopy. Just the other useless one. They said "next year" unless she wants to foot the bill. things need to change around here.
I hope you can get the colonoscopy without a problem.

Last edited by backslide05; 07-27-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User

dang

Why are they so "useless"?

Old 07-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #8
backslide05
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseA View Post
dang

Why are they so "useless"?
by useless I mean that they only scope the bottom half of the colon, and not the upper half, so in some cases you could miss something.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User

Yeah thats why i was saying i want them to check the WHOLE thing just incase.

Their logic was "Well youre young and usually when something goes wrong in someone your age its in the bottom half of the colon." And also cus the blood was RED they say its coming from the lower colon

but if im going to expose myself and be violated by some tube up my anus, I want them to check the entire colon

Old 07-29-2007, 02:50 AM   #10
anprdp
(female)

anprdp HB User

Basically, in my opinion, the sigmoid doesn't help any situation. My polyps developed in the ascending colon, not the descending or rectum. So if my doctor had suggested the sig. scope...things right now might now be as good as they are. I had my entire ascending removed shortly after that colonoscopy. So that is why I say useless. Why go thru the same prep and pain as a colonoscopy to only get half the test and half the knowledge. I personally think they should be put into extinction as a past day tool. Makes no sense to make people suffer that one day to mostly miss things you would need to know. And, I am almost 99 percent sure I read an article somewhere that I can't find now that says most polyps are found in the ascending colon. Although, with the drugs I have had to rot my brain ..I could be wrong =) Good luck with the fighter of the HMO and you Jesse. I think everyone from 30 up should have a colonoscopy done regardless of statistics. Money can't buy life, and life cannot be replaced by money.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:54 AM   #11
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User

Is it possible I just have internal hemmorhoids since I only saw the blood once?

If I do have cancer id hate to think im waiting around with no worries as it eats my body away.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #12
anprdp
(female)

anprdp HB User

I would not worry about it being cancer just yet. Most likely your doctor was right and it is IBS or hemmorhoids. I have blood from IBS and hemmorhoids all the time with my bowel movements and it doesn't even worry me a bit. Now if you had gone to the bathroom and when you got up the toilet was full of blood, that would be a different story. Just try to stay calm and get the full test. The blood could be due to a huge amount of factors you have no idea which to pinpoint.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:08 AM   #13
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User

Thanks

Yeah all drs who saw me were not concerned about it being cancer and said they think its something else (Like crohns or UC for instance). But I think their main reasoning was my age.

My symptoms do sound like IBS though and the 2nd dr said thats what she thinks it is as well (But that blood means something else is going on), i looove to eat, but im in shape. if i eat a late night meal after 10PM i wake up with tummy ache and a BM of either constipation or diarrhea. If i drink lotsa water and do not eat past like 9PM, im much better in the morning. pain in the morning is always relieved by the BM. the whole episode of blood one day (and the next day morning just a tad) was weird and also my stool was thin for the following 2 days (However, when i passed blood the stool was regular but my stomach hurt afterwards), so thats why I went to the doc right away thought it was cancer. (I looked up thin stool and everything said thats a symptom of cancer)

I know it -could- be cancer or a few other things. But the thought of just sitting here waiting for the GI to call for weeks while the cancer could be spreading is scary.

I think ill give them a ring on Monday and ask about getting a colonoscopy done instead of the sigmoid and try to find out how long this will take

Last edited by JesseA; 07-29-2007 at 03:10 AM.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:15 AM   #14
anprdp
(female)

anprdp HB User

Well one thing to know is colon cancer doesn't start over night. Polyps take 5 to 10 years to form in most people. Then it is another 5 to 7 years average for it to turn to cancer. And cancer itself can't spread over night. Try to stay patient as you find the best method to put your worries at rest. There are others just like you that have come here and later found out it was something treatable and simple. Odds are in your favor and you should always consider that. 93% of colon cancer patients take place at or after the age of 63. So that only leaves that 9% and most likely you won't fall into it. I have been there, done that , and gotten my t-shirt for having problems with my digestive system. But, I never go in the next year thinking this is the year they will find cancer. You can't have that attitude until someone has told you what is on your plate. Good luck and do demand the colonoscopy. If they won't do it , find another doctor.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:25 AM   #15
JesseA
(male)

JesseA HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anprdp View Post
Well one thing to know is colon cancer doesn't start over night. Polyps take 5 to 10 years to form in most people. Then it is another 5 to 7 years average for it to turn to cancer. And cancer itself can't spread over night.
that`s good to know.

Quote:
Try to stay patient as you find the best method to put your worries at rest. There are others just like you that have come here and later found out it was something treatable and simple. Odds are in your favor and you should always consider that. 93% of colon cancer patients take place at or after the age of 63. So that only leaves that 9% and most likely you won't fall into it.
How come when its caught many have like stage 3+ cancer? Did they not have any symptoms or did they have symptoms and just ignore it? (I myself tend to ignore symptoms and just wait for them to go away)

If i do have polyps and they take 5+ years to form, im wondering why im only now having symptoms.

Also, something else scary... On the inside of my lip I notice red dots that appear one day and then go away. Someone said i might have aids.

I didnt tell the dr about the red dots because they had went away. But now I am seeing them appear and disappear again and im wondering if its related to this whole bowel problem im having. The dots look like blood blisters or sores but they do not hurt. Most look like I got pricked by a pin, while once there were much larger ones which went away in 2 days.

Last edited by JesseA; 07-29-2007 at 03:27 AM.

Closed Thread