It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• What to expect? Prep on Sunday, Colonoscopy on Monday.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User
    What to expect? Prep on Sunday, Colonoscopy on Monday.

Hi

I am supposed to start the prep on Sunday. I am quite nervous about it. I am supposed to take bottle of mag citrate at 10 am, dulcolax 4 tabs at 1 pm (optional), and 32 oz of Miralax at 4 pm. If I stay on a light/soft diet on Saturday, then I can skip the dulcolax. If I eat alot, then I need to take it.

Will I get alot of cramps from this prep. How soon will the mag citriate kick in? The colonoscopy is being done because of rectal bleeding and a history of pre-cancerous polyps on my mom's side at 45. I am only 33.

I am also nervous about the colonscopy. I had one about 7 yrs ago and was asleep. I have a colon rectal surgeon doing it this time because he is treating the hemmorhoids. Any way I can be assured to be asleep or at least not care. I am not interested in waking up with a camera up behind.

Plus, I ate popcorn and nuts a couple of days last week and now paying for it with bleeding.

Thanks
    Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 05:57 AM   #2
    laura3364
    (female)

laura3364 HB User
    Re: What to expect? Prep on Sunday, Colonoscopy on Monday.

Hi Jennifer,

I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and what everyone says is true -- the prep is worse than the test itself. I was given a local anesthetic and didn't feel a thing; when I woke up, I needed to sit in the office for about 15 minutes but then I was fine.

As for the prep, they told me to start it at 4:00 pm on Sunday for a Monday morning appointment and I thought this was too late because I had to get up during the night. My preference would have been to be totally clean by midnight so I could get a good night's sleep. It sounds like you are starting early enough.

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Laura

Quote:
    Originally Posted by alaska_free View Post
    Hi

I am supposed to start the prep on Sunday. I am quite nervous about it. I am supposed to take bottle of mag citrate at 10 am, dulcolax 4 tabs at 1 pm (optional), and 32 oz of Miralax at 4 pm. If I stay on a light/soft diet on Saturday, then I can skip the dulcolax. If I eat alot, then I need to take it.

Will I get alot of cramps from this prep. How soon will the mag citriate kick in? The colonoscopy is being done because of rectal bleeding and a history of pre-cancerous polyps on my mom's side at 45. I am only 33.

I am also nervous about the colonscopy. I had one about 7 yrs ago and was asleep. I have a colon rectal surgeon doing it this time because he is treating the hemmorhoids. Any way I can be assured to be asleep or at least not care. I am not interested in waking up with a camera up behind.

Plus, I ate popcorn and nuts a couple of days last week and now paying for it with bleeding.

Thanks
    Jennifer

Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
    West Coast Girl
    (female)

West Coast Girl HB User

It seems there are many different types of prep out there. It is important to follow the instructions for the prep that you get from your doctor as if you aren't properly cleaned out your doctor might need to have you do it again! Also people will react differently to the preps. For most people the inconvenience is the biggest issue. They normally won't cause any unmanagable physical problems.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #4
    lavender01
    Veteran
    (female)

lavender01 HB User

I am supposed to have one on Tuesday. Monday I start the liquid diet - About 5:00 supposed to start the "gallon" jug drink. Then at 9:00 4 ducalax, and then Tuesday morning a suppository. I dread it!!!!

Old 12-04-2007, 11:57 PM   #5
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi

Yah! I am dreading it. I keep having second thoughts until I eat nuts or popcorn, then realize why I am doing it.

I have talked with my dr regarding the prep and he is supportive of it. Chance are that I will have no problem with getting cleaned out. I will most likely being dealing with my period and will be dealing with diarrhea. Alot will depend on Saturday.

Jennifer

Old 12-05-2007, 05:37 AM   #6
    Nassau one
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User

The prep really is not that bad! Especially if you have the smaller amount of prep to drink. I had a scope in February of this year and the whole procedure from prep to scope went absolutely fine. I would not hesitate to have another if it were necessary.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
    lavender01
    Veteran
    (female)

lavender01 HB User

Monday is coming up fast - any suggestions for me? I have to drink the gallon of "stuff" starting at 5:00 PM - then 4 laxatives after that - then Tuesday morning a suppos. I guess beef broth during the day, sprite, etc. Anything you can see through?? I am really getting nervous!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi

No kidding. Sunday is almost here. I will be at my parents during the prep. They picked up chicken/beef broth, green jello, apple juice, sprite. I will also need to pick up some gateraide for the miralax.

I am getting nervous about it. The hospital called to pre-register me.

jennifer

Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
    redfish wader
    (female)

redfish wader HB User

the worst part is drinking all the liquid , the rest is a breeze, you will be asleep and you won't feel a thing, I have had it done twice

Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM   #10
    lavender01
    Veteran
    (female)

lavender01 HB User

Did you get broth in a can? Or buillion cubes? Not sure of the spelling.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #11
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi

I believe she got the can stuff. It taste better than the other stuff

Jennifer

Old 12-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
    lavender01
    Veteran
    (female)

lavender01 HB User

Good Luck on your prep and colonoscopy. Just think after you are through - Monday - that's when I start drinking my prep - mine is on Tuesday at 12:00

Old 12-08-2007, 10:39 PM   #13
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi Lavender

Thanks. Good luck with yours. I kept it pretty light today. Had 3 small pancakes and scrambed eggs for breakfast; mashed potatoes/gravy and milkshake for lunch; chicken soup and 1 piece of bread for dinner; couple bites of ice cream for desert.

I start the first round of prep at 10 am with magnasium citrate; possibly ducolax at 1 pm and Miralax at 4 pm. Since I ate light today, I may get out of taking ducolax. Got some just in case.

jennifer

Old 12-09-2007, 03:37 PM   #14
    lavender01
    Veteran
    (female)

lavender01 HB User

I start my liquid diet in the morning. Tomorrow at 5:00 I start drinking the gallon of go-lightly - Then at 9:00 tomorrow night I take 4 ducalax pills then Tuesday morning at 6:00 a suppository. Then my procedure is at 12:00 PM.

Old 12-09-2007, 04:11 PM   #15
    alaska_free
    (female)

alaska_free HB User

Hi Lavender,

Little tip. Eat light today. I am about half-way through it and realized that by eating light yesterday it helped alot. I have gone maybe 5-6 times since the magnasium citrate and it's been majority of the times just water. I did end up taking 2 of the Ducolax instead of the 4. No cramps yet. Just alot of gurgling from the two cans of beef broth, apple juice, and sprite. Will be starting the Miralx in about an hour.

Be very close to the bathroom when the prep kicks in. The first round caught me off guard and I was walking quickly.

Now, just need to get through the colonoscopy.

jennifer

Closed Thread