It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Re:colon cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #1
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
    Re:colon cancer

Hi, I am usually on the chronic pain board, but I have a question. My grandmother and her 4 siblings all died of colon cancer. Her 3 children are fine so far. Does colon cancer run in families like breast cancer? Is there a gene similiar to the one in breast cancer that would tell of your liklihood of getting it. I had bleeding then had a polyp removed, and I have had stage 3 melanoma. Thanks for any info!

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2008, 07:05 AM   #2
    LESLIETOO
    (female)

LESLIETOO HB UserLESLIETOO HB User
    Re: colon cancer

Colon cancer can most certainly be hereditary. Your family history is indicative of it. It is called HNPCC hereditary nonpolyposis colon cancer due to a defect in a mutation repair gene. I would strongly recommend you consult a genetic counselor for further advice. HNPCC is a dominant condition, meaning that if a child inherits the defect from one parent, it can manifest itself in that child who is at risk of developing not just colon cancer but endometrial cancer, urinary tract cancer, certain kidney cancers, stomach and small intestine cancer and also a smaller but increased risk of pancreatic cancer, ovarian cancer, brain cancer, and sebaceous cysts/skin cancer. It is possible to have the defect and never have any cancer, but the gene can still be passed on to the children who may develop cancer even though the parent with the gene did not. There is a special screening protocol that persons with HNPCC or strongly suspected of having HNPCC need to follow so that any cancer that develops is detected in an incipient or beginning stage and treated and/or prevented (e.g. removing polyps). There is another form of hereditary colon cancer called FAP where a person literally has hundreds of polyps throughout the GI system and an almost 100% chance of developing colon cancer and usually at a very young age.

Leslie

Last edited by LESLIETOO; 04-23-2008 at 07:07 AM.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
    Boxerluver
    Inactive
    (female)

Boxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB UserBoxerluver HB User
    Re: colon cancer

Leslie, thank you for all the info. I will be finding a geneticist and I really appreciate your response.

Thanks!
    Melissa

Closed Thread