It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Update: Anyone experience adverse effects from pelvic radiation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2008, 05:37 AM   #16
    Cat Az
    (female)

Cat Az HB User
    Re: Anyone experience adverse effects from pelvic radiation?

Chris, I got a good report from my oncologist. Results of the scan were good, my blood work was good. Are you doing ok? Haven't seen any response for a few days from you. My tablets are working good also. Hope your feeling well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #17
    chrissurvivor05
    (female)

chrissurvivor05 HB User
    Smile Re: Update: Anyone experience adverse effects from pelvic radiation?

Cat Az,

Sorry I haven't responded in a while. I have been feeling pretty good and therefore getting in some family activities before school starts. I will take some time this weekend to get back to you on your questions. Thanks for checking in on me!

Old 08-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #18
    chrissurvivor05
    (female)

chrissurvivor05 HB User

Cat Az,

Forgot to say in last message that it's so good to hear your results were good and tablets working for you!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
    Cat Az
    (female)

Cat Az HB User

Hi Chris Glad your feeling good. I had a rough nite last night, in and out of the bathroom alot and alot of pain. It easing up now. We lost our Schnauzer last Sunday he had been ill since January. He was 11 yrs old. They think it was Liver Disease. I sure do miss him, he had been there for me the whole time I was going thru treatment. I won't need to see my oncologist for 4 months. He is my favorite Dr. I hope you have a good day today! Cat AZ

Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #20
    chrissurvivor05
    (female)

chrissurvivor05 HB User

Hey there Cat Az,

Wasn't a great day for me. Same rough day as you had last night. I'm glad you're feeling a little better. I am too tonight. So sorry for your loss. My family had pets when I was a child, but we haven't gotten one yet for my daughter. Someday though.

My oncologist had me on a 3-mo. schedule for 1 year. Then it went to 6 months, which I think I will be on until I reach 5 years cancer-free. He is also my favorite doctor out of them all. It was weird not seeing him weekly after my treatments ended. I kind of felt depressed that I wasn't receiving the attention and care that I had gotten used to--weird, huh?

I need to get going, but I will go back and answer your other questions soon as I get some extra time--sorry for the delay.

Here's to a good Saturday night and Sunday for us both!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #21
    Cat Az
    (female)

Cat Az HB User

Hey Chris. No I don't think it's weird to feel sad after being used to seeing alot of people on a weekly basis. I realized part of my depression was that I was no longer out in the public every day, I had always worked. I worked at an animal clinic and interacted with clients and pets. A big part of me feeling normal again was when my temper flared up one day. I knew at that point I was close to being my old self again. I've always had a nasty temper, but can control it better now than I used to. When we start sweatin the small stuff, we're feelin like our old selves have returned. I literally felt like a part of me got up and left and then came back in. Did you ever feel like this? I'm trying to be more verbal when things bother me. I hope you have a quiet potty day and can enjoy your self. Cat Az

Old 08-25-2008, 07:25 AM   #22
    Cat Az
    (female)

Cat Az HB User
    Re: Update: Anyone experience adverse effects from pelvic radiation?

Chris Today is a bad one. I guess it's a good thing I have an Apt today. Did you have to take any testing for SSC? If you did how did it go. I have an ill Kitty. They think it's bladder stones. He has meds and I think he's feeling better. Thank God he's still urinating. Cat AZ

Last edited by mod_007; 08-25-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Replaced slang word

Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 PM   #23
    ryrich
    (female)

ryrich HB User

Radiation damage....To help the uncontrolable diarrhea i have had for seven years from radiation treatment, internal and external. I inject a drug called octreotide twice a day through my stomach. This was a life changing drug prescribed by a gastroenterologist. It is really expensive, so an insurance plan that provides coverage for injectables is a must. My employer changes insurances every year so I had one amazing year, the next uncontrollable, and this year back to maintaining...still go 8+ times a day but have some control.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #24
    West Coast Girl
    (female)

West Coast Girl HB User
    Re: Update: Anyone experience adverse effects from pelvic radiation?

As a reply to the original question -

I had broad spectrum pelvic radiation for uterine cancer in 1975 at the age of 22. I was a very healthy young person until then. Nobody was able to say what caused the cancer. Since then -

Varying degrees of IBS

Small bowel stricture in 1990 repaired with a resection

Low rectal cancer in 2003 - Stage 1, slow growing, temporary ileostomy

Bowel was unable to heal due to ischemia so the ileo was closed and a perm colostomy was done.

Basically all of the intestinal issues I have are a result of the original radiation.....but I am still alive!

Last edited by West Coast Girl; 09-19-2009 at 02:46 PM.

Closed Thread