It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• Micro tumours in lymph-nodes after surgery & chemo

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
    JT2008
    (male)

JT2008 HB User
    Micro tumours in lymph-nodes after surgery & chemo

I was 35 when I was diagnosed with a CRC that had spread to some of the lymph-nodes and fatty-tissue. This was surgically removed, and I had 12 courses of Flox (Oxaliplatin & Fluorouracil).

It's now been about two years, and a CT showed a slightly enlarged lymph-node, which prompted a PET-scan, which showed two enlarged lymph-nodes (11mm), and a MR which showed nothing.

Before a doctors conference, my surgeon said they did not know if they were cancerous, but that if the nodes were accessible, they'd remove them surgically (and test them), if not they'd try a 2-month chemo to see if they reduced.

After discussing with oncologists, my doctor suddenly said that surgery was out of the question, not because of accessabilty, but because these were micro tumours which had survived treatment so far, and that there really was nothing to do but to wait and see how things progressed, and give life prolonging chemo when it came to that stage.

It all seems so arbitrary. If the doctors aren't even positive if this is cancerous, how can they conclude that if it is, it's basically untreatable?

I'm sorry if I don't make any sense, but I just got the news, and I can't make sense of it myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
    JTL52
    (female)

JTL52 HB User
    Re: Micro tumours in lymph-nodes after surgery & chemo

This could be a good time to get a second opinion.
    JTL

Old 10-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
    anprdp
    (female)

anprdp HB User

I would agree on the second opinion. When such information changes drastically, seek out another experienced, recommended doctor for confirmation. I wish you the best of luck in finding answers in your search and long life ahead.

Last edited by anprdp; 10-03-2008 at 06:04 PM.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
    Trinsmommi
    (female)

Trinsmommi HB User

I had a similar experience, where a pet scan showed two enlarged lymph nodes near my left groin that were not accessible. I had a panel of 5 doctors tell me they were positive it was cancer and I needed chemo immediately. I got a second opinion and that dr stated that he suggested I wait 2 mo and do another PET scan since I did not tolerate chemo very well. I waited and in 2 mo, the PET was clear. The drs had no explanation and all tests were clear from then on out.

I would defiantly get a second opinion before worrying too much.

Closed Thread