It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
    Re: 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer

Jas...Did you convey to them (your doctor or nurse) the degree of anxiety you are feeling and how detrimental this 2 week wait will be for you? I ask because I know they can "bump" a procedure if it's deemed medically necessary? Two weeks is a small amount of time compared to 3 months for a colonoscopy. However, I personally have in the past (last year) called my own gastroenterologist nurse and BEGGED for earliest available. They had a cancellation within 48 hours, called in my prep which I did on the next day (night) Wednesday, and had the procedure on Thursday. YES, a colonoscopy. Certainly a 1 hour cancellation is not an option with the required prep, but no one says you cannot beg and plead for an earlier appointment time. Life has taught me that you don't know until you ask (and ask again, then BEG. It would be worth the try, considering how anxious you are. No one looks forward to this, of all tests, but babygirl, you are in orbit and picking up speed. I'm concerned.

As for the procedure...BELIEVE ME when I tell you that the bad part is the prep. If you, like I, am struggling day to day with bowel issues, then potty time will be tolerable. The procedure will be over in the blink of an eye, from your perspective. They will start an IV. Convey your fear to them, as they can add some magic. My body always requires additional sedative. Last April (scheduled to return for annual on May 21 because I HAVE to do this YEARLY with a predisposition for cancer) it was kind of funny in hindsight (pun intended). I undressed from the waist down or so I thought. The last thing I remember was telling the doctor "oops...I forgot to take off my underwear". Next thing I knew I was awake in recovery, with my undies "still" on. My first question to my husband was "Did they do it?".

You must focus on what is GOOD...positive. In the late 80's early 90's I began the colonoscopy journey way before the recommended "precautionary testing" age. I was a babe in the woods with horrid gastrointestinal issues post gastric bypass. They used 0 sedation...maybe a valium if that. I was cognizant of the entire procedure via endoscopy and colonoscopy. I've become a veteran of the procedure, stripped of any inkling of pride or embarrassment. It's easy-peasy compared to my day to day survival. I have a friend who still gets worked into a rage about his last colonoscopy. He says the doctor answered his cell phone during his procedure, which I do not doubt. He reported the doctor afterwards, filing complaints with the medical board of conduct. I applaud him. That's all I'll say about that because it's a funny story best told in person, and I will get a "time out" for it. Jana...find something...or someone to laugh at/about. You've got to occupy your mind somehow, for you own sake. If I can laugh, anybody can=)

The Following User Says Thank You to WhistleDixie For This Useful Post:
    Jas (04-23-2014)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2014, 03:36 PM   #32
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

I had a little giggle just with the brief description you gave about the phone call. I can only imagine!!! 2 weeks is tolerable, I've been going through this a few months...I'm actually surprised they were able to schedule it so soon, given the fact that it was only ordered yesterday. I tried to ask for something to knock me completely out, but the nurse said she would have to get permission, change the order, and could not guarantee a May 9th procedure date. So I may just wait until I'm in there...I'm sure they will be able to tell how badly I'm freaking out LOL...maybe they will be kind, and give me a little something extra. I'm not worried about the prep, mostly the no eating part LOL....I'm used to daily or at least fairly frequent diarrhea - no big deal. Thanks for the encouraging words!

The following user gives a hug of support to Jas:
    WhistleDixie (04-24-2014)
    Old 04-24-2014, 01:56 AM   #33
    Suzq26
    (female)

Suzq26 HB User

I'm here...couldn't see any more posts for some reason until today. Been wondering how you were, Jas, and so glad you have scheduled that colonoscopy! The prep is not fun, but tolerable for the most part- I'm going through it right now as my colonoscopy is in a few short hours...scared to death but trying to stay calm and focus on loving and positive thoughts. My ct scan came out ok for the most part except for an ovarian cyst my gyn is following closely and plan to follow up on that again when this is over. I am still scared they will find cancer today. The ct scan ruled out diverticulitis and colitis they said. I just don't know what else it could be. I wonder about the PPI too but I guess I will know more after today. Trying not to think the worst. I will be 46 next month, Dixie. Thank you for sharing your story and your strength with us. It helps so much to know others are going through and learning to deal with health struggles and no matter what each of us is going through we are not alone. My husband too is tired of worrying about my health I think but he is supportive and I am grateful for that. Have no family close by so coming on here is very therapeutic for me. Try not to worry Jas, I think you will be just fine too. Anxiety sucks I know, I have it too, and have had actual panic attacks the past few nights which is new for me. Do you exercise? I know with 4 young kids it's hard to fit in, but it does help me a lot when I make it a priority on a consistent basis. My husband sees the difference too and so helps me make it happen. Haven't done anything in a week though since being so sick and can tell the difference! Got to go now, wish me luck and would appreciate any and all positive thoughts you might want to send my way! Take care of yourselves, (( hugs))

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Suzq26
    Jas (04-24-2014),WhistleDixie (04-24-2014)
    Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #34
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

SuzQ-

I just want to start by telling you how brave you are by following through on the colonoscopy. I know it was a major feat for myself. I was laying in bed last night, giving the procedure a lot of thought, trying to confront my biggest fears, and it occurred to me...this is really a gift, to be able to get this done. Who knows, maybe it's not cancer, maybe it's nothing life threatening, or maybe it is? Either way, going through with it could be something that potentially saves my life!!! Maybe they will catch pre-cancer? I don't know if that helps you any, but I just thought it was a positive way to look at things...My thoughts are with you today, and I can't wait to hear from you again, so I can see how you're doing! GOOD LUCK! Lots of hugs and good wishes your way.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM   #35
    Suzq26
    (female)

Suzq26 HB User
    Smile Re: 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer

Hi Jas, so colonoscopy is OVER and my results were normal! He could see no abnormalities and thinks it is chronic constipation so am starting on a regimen to try to prevent that. I am SO relieved! I was convinced it was cancer, as cancer runs in my family with not positive results. I do have other issues I will be looking into and following up on and may change to a new GI doctor as I don't feel I am getting the answers I need concerning my health. It is amazing how your mind just convinces you of something and so I KNOW you are going to be ok too. Kudos to you for going through with it, and you are right it IS a brave thing to do and I know you will go through with it and get through with no problem. It Is good to do so you know what is going on with your body so you can be as healthy as you can. That said, it's easier said then done and trust me, it is terrifying while you are waiting, but know that that is perfectly normal, as I just went through it and survived! You are even younger than me so you have that on your side as well. Thank you so much for all your kind words and support through all this! It has helped me tremendously! I would like to be there for you as well, so let me know when your procedure is and we will get through it together ok?? I am here for you anytime you need me

The following user gives a hug of support to Suzq26:
    WhistleDixie (04-24-2014)
    Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #36
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

That's the best news I've heard in a long time! I'm so VERY happy for you!! How do you feel now? Less anxiety? Like a tremendous weight has been lifted? I'm so excited about your results. It gives me hope. Maybe you need to celebrate! Have some fun, buy a pair of shoes LOL...Right now, it's just the waiting game, 2 weeks...I can make it...I order my prep kit today...in fact I better get on that! So glad to hear you're well! Keep in touch, and I'll keep you posted. HUGS

Old 04-26-2014, 06:09 PM   #37
    Suzq26
    (female)

Suzq26 HB User

Hi Jas,

Yes, very relieved! However still experiencing some anxiety and working on that. I think I got myself so worked up my body's still reacting. So trying to calm down and take it easy. However, I am still having symptoms so it is hard not to take to the internet once again and start stressing about what it could be. I did make an appointment with a new dr, and will be meeting with my gyn to discuss options regarding my ovarian cyst (which I think is causing some of the pain-the cramping is hard to distinguish sometimes as to whether it is reproductive or bowel)-and will be looking for a new GI if I feel this one doesn't try to work harder at figuring out what is wrong; even if it is "all in my head" at least let's rule out all the medical possibilities. I have no idea if it is a food intolerance, or an endocrine problem, or just anxiety and stress (or all of the above) So the search continues...how are you doing? I hope you are feeling better and are not too stressed about your colonoscopy. You will get through it and you will be so glad to know you are alright. You are doing the right thing, and taking charge of your health. It is so important. I hope you are having a nice weekend with your family. I'm here for you if you need to talk.

Last edited by Suzq26; 04-26-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Old 04-28-2014, 06:40 AM   #38
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

Hey Suzq and WhistleDixie,

I hope you are both doing well, and had a very enjoyable weekend. I hope your physical and emotional pain subsided enough to let in a smile, or at least one happy moment. I'm doing OK, as good as can be expected from someone who is suffering with extreme health anxiety lol. It seems my symptoms just continue to evolve. Over the weekend my stool caliber increased, so they weren't as thin as they have been...but on the other hand, and I didn't mention this earlier just because I wanted to see if maybe it was a temporary thing - I have noticed what appears to be a groove on one side of my stool. It's not very deep, but it goes down the entire length and width. Does that make sense? I really don't know how else to describe it other than something is sticking out and causing that as I go to the restroom. Then this morning, I had a little bit of blood on the TP...none on the stool, so that's good??? Of course, suzq, it is nearly impossible to not take to Dr. Google, so I know all about that. And of course, all Google does is reinforce our fears, right? It's terrible. The Grooves in the stool almost always point to polyps, and what do polyps point to? CANCER. So yet another thing that's plaguing my mind!!! I know I have my Colonoscopy on the 9th, but dear lord, that seems so far away. I miss hearing from you guys, so let me know how your weekend was. HUGS

Old 04-30-2014, 11:59 PM   #39
    Megsmom2014
    (female)

Megsmom2014 HB User
    Wink Re: 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer

Hi Jas, just read through all your posts and reminds me of my anxiety. Waiting for certain test results can consume a person and I tend to lose weight while waiting, even if I double food intake. Anyway, I know the groove in the stool you are talking about. I have had it for many years and was told years ago it was was from a hemorrhoid. I am almost 51 and have had soft stools just like you for many years. Sometimes they are normal though. I was diagnosed with IBS when I was twenty. I also had endometriosis and had so many issues that seemed stomach related from that. I just had my first colonoscopy this past Monday and I missed the call today from a nurse about the colonoscopy results and recommendations. LET THE PANIC BEGIN! Lol that was sure fast. Anyway, they found a couple half cm polyps and a big one at 2 cm, but the doc said not to be to worrying as he feels it is one of those polyps that could turn into cancer in about 10 years if it had not been removed. He sent it to pathology of course for official testing. Not sure if the nurse was referring to biopsy or just colonoscopy results. Will try to get on here tomorrow after work to let you know what they said. Have you thought of trying probiotics to see if it helps. I am going to start them myself. Look into them. Also consider it could be some kind of food intolerance. I wonder if I am lactose intolerant. Have never bothered to find out as I love cheese too much. I am bad I know. Anyway, if there is one thing I try to remember, it's this 99% of everything we worry about never comes true and a very small percentage of polyps are cancer.

The following user gives a hug of support to Megsmom2014:
    WhistleDixie (05-03-2014)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Megsmom2014 For This Useful Post:
    WhistleDixie (05-03-2014)
    Old 05-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #40
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

Wow, our situations seem quite parallel! I hope the results of your pathology are benign...I'm sure those GI doctors are pretty good at spotting abnormalities when they find polyps. And it sounds like he gave you a bit of reassurance, so that's good. If you missed the call on your results, can't you call them back to find out? Anxiety certainly doesn't make our symptoms any better, does it? My GI doc also suspects IBS, whereas the ER doctor I saw, feels that it's kind of a wastebasket diagnosis. Like, we know you have digestive problems, we just don't know why lol. Oh well. I'd rather suffer with "digestive problems" than something more serious, like the big "C". So the groove in your stool was from a hemorrhoid? That's comforting, to say the least. Not that it eliminates other possibilities, but still makes me feel a little bit better. I've considered food allergies as well, but I'm just too lazy to make a food journal, as I eat SO many different foods. I love to eat LOL. Anyways, thanks for the support and best wishes your way that everything is OK. Let me know!!

Old 05-01-2014, 07:58 AM   #41
    Megsmom2014
    (female)

Megsmom2014 HB User

Hi Jas, i just talked to the nurse and the doc was right. The polyp in question has precancerous cells, but not cancer, so they want me to do another colonoscopy in 2 to 3 years in case more begin to grow and it takes 5 years for them to grow. This way they always get them out before they can cause a problem. I am not sure if the two smaller ones were precancerous as well. I think just the big one. I am grateful I listened to my doc and had the colonoscopy done. The symptoms you have, I have had since before your age and I obviously didn't have these polyps back then, so try not to worry. Go ahead and have your colonoscopy so they can reassure you that all is well. My hubby had a colonoscopy last year and had a few removed, but all we benign and they knew it at the colonoscopy procedure and he was told not to come back for 10 years. My hubby just said " thoughts are not facts!" We worry ourselves sick for nothing. Hard to explain to others without anxiety, how we can't help it. Lol! So it's nice your friends here who have been conversing with you are so supportive. That helps so much!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:01 AM   #42
    Megsmom2014
    (female)

Megsmom2014 HB User

And yes, the doc confirmed I had a hemorrhoid that was causing the groove. Funny as I think I had hemorrhoids since I was 9 as I remember intense pain there at certain times

Old 05-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #43
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

What a true blessing that you were able to have the procedure done, and they caught the polyp before it turned cancerous. At worst, that's what I'm hoping for. Maybe it will be my lucky day, and they find something early; sparking them to do more frequent colonoscopies - always staying ahead of the game. I'm happy for you and your husband, and wish you many more years of good health and happiness! I drive my husband absolutely bonkers with my anxiety, it really upsets him. I can tell it's affected my children as well, which is the most heartbreaking of all. Still, even then, I cannot turn my anxiety on and off like a switch. Even if I'm not thinking about being sick, I still have the physical anxiety, there's no way around it. This is part of the reason the GI Doctor is doing this for me, for peace of mind, because he sees that my physical health is being greatly affected as well as emotionally. I got my colon prep kit today, looks like I won't have much time to sleep, as I'll have to get up at 2 am the morning of my procedure to do the 2nd half of the prep. YUCK. I am willing to pay any price at this point, for my sanity. lol...

Last edited by Jas; 05-01-2014 at 08:13 AM.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:36 AM   #44
    Megsmom2014
    (female)

Megsmom2014 HB User

My prep was easy. Gatorade and miralax and it tasted pretty good. Then I was suppose to drink a gallon of liquid in between. Ya right! I did get down all,but 16 oz of liquid with ease before deciding I had enough!!!! I drank apple juice and white grape juice only. No water.,the apple juice went down so easy and wish I had bought another 2 quarts of,that instead of a white grape juice. Decide now which you love most and purchase them. Also, it might be easier to drink jello before it gels too! May try that next time

Old 05-01-2014, 08:41 AM   #45
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

My prep has the 2 packs of Gatorade powder, and the laxative powder, all of which I mix with 64 ounces of water. I start at 3pm the day before my procedure, having to drink half, plus I have to take a total of these 4 little pills. Then, at 2am the day of my procedure I drink the other half of the solution...they sent me a package of lemon Jell-O and some chicken broth too lol. I will maybe get like 4-5 hours of sleep before hand. I guess it's worth it in the end, right?

Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, colon cancer, digestive health, ibs