It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Colon Message Board

• 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #61
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
    Re: 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer

Hey Jase...Waiting anxiously for post from you=) How did it go? Did you do well? I really hope to hear from you very soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2014, 08:34 AM   #62
    Megsmom2014
    (female)

Megsmom2014 HB User

Jas, how did the colonoscopy go?

Old 05-10-2014, 11:21 AM   #63
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

Hey guys, sorry I left you hanging. I had the colonoscopy done, and they found 2 very small polyps - not what is causing my symptoms, as they are as small as a grain of rice. Obviously not what I wanted the outcome to be. The GI does not seem concerned about them at all, is that a good sign? He also biopsied something he called "something mucosa"...I'm very disappointed as I was hopeful this would have been over yesterday, and sadly, it is not. Now I have to wait for pathology, and I'm just so tired of all of this. He did say my colon looks really good. I'm so scared, again...and it's very difficult to keep it together in front of my kids...I didn't tell them that the doctor found something. I told them that I am just fine. Are GI's generally good at knowing if a polyp is cancerous or precancerous? He actually told me that I was fine, and he's not the least bit concerned about them. I don't know what to do, and I don't know how long pathology takes...The nurse told me that polyps are VERY common, and if you don't have any, that you are one of the very lucky ones...are they only telling this to keep me from freaking out, or is that true? I'm scared more now, than I was before...

Old 05-10-2014, 09:24 PM   #64
    Megsmom2014
    (female)

Megsmom2014 HB User
    Smile Re: 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer

Yes, they pretty much know at time of colonoscopy. They see these things all,the time and know. They send them in to be sure, but those were so so tiny. Mine were 2 at 1/2 cm and one a whole 2 cm. he told me right there the one was precancerous and might turn into cancer in 10 years and pathology came back in a few days saying just that. Plus I got written results saying that,yesterday. I would think it rare not to find any polyps at all. The mucosa thing might be related to IBS and they are just checking. You are fine and he said your colon looked good. Great job getting through this!!!!!! I know how hard it was for you and just try Nd relax while you wait for,your confirmation that all is great!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Megsmom2014 For This Useful Post:
    Jas (05-11-2014)
    Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #65
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

Thank you so much for the much needed reassurance. You know how difficult it is to think positive in a time like this, we want to be prepared for the worst, you know? It does make me feel better to get some confirmation that these doctors usually know if something looks suspicious or not. I guess the one thing that bothers me, is my age. I just turned 36, and as I realize cancer doesn't discriminate, I wonder why I even have the polyps to begin with? Regarding the procedure, the prep was a breeze...the actual colonoscopy was quite the experience! I was so worked up with anxiety, that they gave me the max for medium sedation and I was still coherent during the whole thing, lol. I think the doctor was getting agitated with me...he kept telling me to just close my eyes and let the medicine take me away Yeah, he told me the mucosa biopsy was because of a couple of bumps on the lining of my colon, which is normal...he just wanted to make sure. Said he probably wouldn't have even biopsied it, but since I was awake, he didn't want me to think he missed it lol. Poor guy. Anyways, thank you again for responding, I feel a little bit better now, and will try to have more faith in the professionals. I hope you have a fantastic Mother's Day, enjoy your family today. HUGS

Old 05-11-2014, 11:35 AM   #66
    Megsmom2014
    (female)

Megsmom2014 HB User

I knew of a woman years ago that had polyps removed at 32. I've had a lump on my back since I was in my twenties that is still the same. From my understanding, it can take years for some benign or cancerous polyp to grow. Since I have 3 at age 50, they may have began growing, especially that big one, way back 10 or 15 years ago. Who knows. Either way, even at 2 cm and being pre cancerous, he said if,that one did turn to cancer,it might take another 10 years.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #67
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User

Definitely a very interesting phenomenon, those polyps. I can't help but feel responsible, because of the lifestyle I've led all these years...taking my health for granted! I know I don't eat enough fruits and vegetables, don't get enough exercise, and enjoy steak twice a month lol...This has been a life changing experience, to say the least. I think I'm scared straight!!! Since the one polyp was precancerous, how often do you need screening? I'm wondering if I will have to be screened more frequently just based on the presence of polyps, even if they turn out to be benign? How long did it take for you to get your results? And do they only call you if there's something abnormal? I do admire how positive you are, given what you've gone through! I hope I can be as strong.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #68
    Jas
    (female)

Jas HB User
    Re: 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer UPDATE colonoscopy results

I just wanted to post an update on my colonoscopy pathology results. The 2 polyps they removed were hyperplastic. They do not have the potential to turn into colon cancer!!! The doctor said I don't need another colonoscopy until the age of 50, which is another 14 years! I ended up calling the doctor's office because I couldn't stand it any more. She skimmed through the results, and said I will get a detailed letter that explains what was found. But the fact that I don't need another colonoscopy for that long, she said is a very good indication that everything must look great. I can't begin to tell you what a relief this is. I am desperately hoping that this will allow me to properly get on with my life!!! I want to thank everyone who has posted in this thread, with encouragement and support. Your words have been priceless to me, you have no idea. I hope you are all doing very well, or as well as can be expected for some. Hope to hear from you guys soon. HUGS

The following user gives a hug of support to Jas:
    WhistleDixie (05-20-2014)
    Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 PM   #69
    WhistleDixie
    Inactive
    (female)

WhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB UserWhistleDixie HB User
    Re: 35 y/o scared to death I have colon cancer UPDATE colonoscopy results

Hey Jase...I'm tickled pink to say "I TOLD YOU SO!?!" Congratulations on such good news from your tests. Please get busy living with your husband and children! Best wishes and HUGS of HAPPINESS=)

The Following User Says Thank You to WhistleDixie For This Useful Post:
    Jas (05-20-2014)
    Closed Thread

Tags
    anxiety, colon cancer, digestive health, ibs