It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board

worried about cancer

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-03-2015, 03:52 PM   #1
dewing
(female)

dewing HB User
worried about cancer

Please help, any advice would be appreciated. I am due to have an ultrasound scan soon and waiting for an endoscopy appointment. I am female, 52 years of age and very overweight. I have suffered from GERD for 12 years and over the last few weeks I had pain under my right rib, radiating to my lower back with a burning/soreness feeling so it could indicate possible gallstones but I won't be sure what is going on until I've had my scan. My other symptoms include a feeling of 'pressure' under my right shoulder blade. Also, when I swallow normally I feel as though there is a 'lump going up and down' on the right hand side (same side as the feeling under my right shoulder). I am on Lansoprazole (30mg daily) at the moment and I told my GP last week that I was worried I may have cancer ie mainly worried about oesophagul (not sure if I've spelt it right!) ie due to possible damage of having GERD for so many years. She reassured me to a certain extent saying that if that was the case, I would not be able to eat/drink and my weight would plummet. I felt sort of reassured when I left the surgery but now my mind is playing up again thinking "well what if she is wrong?". I would really appreciate someone taking the time to read this and give me their thoughts (however good or bad they are!). Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
sweetpotato13
Senior Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User
Re: worried about cancer

Our anxiety sure can get the best of us, can't it?
Your doctor was clear that you shouldn't be worried, that you would be symptomatic in very visible ways if you had cancer. I think that you should honor her judgment over your fear. If you feel uncertain about her opinion, get another one just to reassure yourself.
Hugs to you!!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:53 AM   #3
dewing
(female)

dewing HB User

I've been to see my GP again today regarding this feeling of pressure/discomfort under my right shoulder blade. She said that it points to a muscular problem. I told her that it feels like food has got stuck but she said that it is mainly felt at the front, chest area and that if food was getting stuck, i would be coughing it up. She has now changed my medication back to Omeprazole and i will be on 40mg daily. I also asked for some Diazepam as i know i am getting myself worked up while i am waiting for my tests. Do you think i should believe her about it being a muscular issue or could she be wrong and i am right? :-(

Old 04-09-2015, 03:15 AM   #4
dewing
(female)

dewing HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewing View Post
I've been to see my GP again today regarding this feeling of pressure/discomfort under my right shoulder blade. She said that it points to a muscular problem. I told her that it feels like food has got stuck but she said that it is mainly felt at the front, chest area and that if food was getting stuck, i would be coughing it up. She has now changed my medication back to Omeprazole and i will be on 40mg daily. I also asked for some Diazepam as i know i am getting myself worked up while i am waiting for my tests. Do you think i should believe her about it being a muscular issue or could she be wrong and i am right? :-(
PLEASE can someone help put my mind at rest with all this as I am getting more and more panicky about whether I have oesphagul cancer with the symptoms I have been having recently. I NEED to know from someone on here who knows someone who has had this type of cancer and what the symptoms were as I can't function properly mentally at the moment :-(

Old 04-09-2015, 07:13 AM   #5
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Dewing, esophageal cancer causes increasing difficulty swallowing foods, solids at first, then liquids late, along with significant weight loss. Your symptoms could be from gallbladder disease, so the ultrasound will be helpful Gallbladder disease usually causes a feeling a indigestion, fatty food intolerance, gassy distention, and there may be a family history. The pain is usually felt under the right ribs and into the back under the right shoulder blade. A scope is good just to make sure the GERD has not caused esophagitis or a stricture of scar tissue. That is much more likely a complication from GERD, more common, than cancer. The scar tissue is called Schotsky's ring and can be stretched at the time of scope if present, relieving the symptoms associated with swallowing. We always fear the worst, but usually have what is common and benign. So be reassured and not lose sleep over the what ifs when your symptoms sound like something benign.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
dewing (04-09-2015),sweetpotato13 (04-12-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 08:26 AM   #6
dewing
(female)

dewing HB User

I do appreciate your response to this but I know that at the moment I am going through the anxiety stage waiting for my tests and then results and of course my mind is working overtime. All I know is that I am feeling the way I do at the moment without improvement. My GP has increased my Omeprazole to 40mg daily starting from tomorrow. The tests and results cannot come soon enough. I will keep you posted and thank you.

Old 04-11-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Snoozie
(female)

Snoozie HB User

Hi Dewing, I hope I don't talk too much. I have a tendency to do that. lol. This could be long. I like to explain things rather well. Anyways, your wish has come true. I have had esophageal cancer. Squamous Cell to be specific. I only just joined this group. I'm just going to tell you my experience. I had a tumor between the larynx & the esophageal so they took both out & pulled my stomach up to the approximate 3" they left of the esophagus. I normally weighed 112lbs my whole life. I lost weigh down to 93lbs. I couldn't swallow. I was down to eating pudding & applesauce. Even mashed potatos were difficult to swallow. There felt like there was a lump in my throat. I told my GP, he sent me to a gastroenterologist. I had already been to 2 ENT's, who didn't look in my throat only offered to agree with my GP. They all thinking I just had acid reflux. So, I doctored with the Gastro Dr. for about a year. He had never even looked in my throat. I went & they stretched my throat as often as it needed until it didn't help anymore. At this time...by the way, I've always been a trusting person & I trusted my Dr's to do what they needed to do. Finally I decided I needed to go to the Mayo Clinic. My GP made the appointment, I went, I was there having tests done for a week. On Tues. they had told me I had cancer. I wasn't surpised. I had read an article in a magazine by a lady who sounded exactly like me. So, Friday they said, go home, come back Monday for surgery. Then after 15 hrs of surgery, 2 days in ICU I finally woke up...somewhat. I was in the hospital 10 days. I'd already been trained beforehand how to use an electrolarynx...that's what I talk with. I still have trouble swallowing. This last year, it became worse. My GP put me on 40mg. Prilosec twice a day. Now I'm on 20mg. twice a day. I ended up having an endoscopy & found out I had a bleeding ulcer. Them thinking the swelling caused the food to slow down. The new gastro Dr. cauterized it, did another endoscopy in 6 wks & all was fine. But now again, within the last 2-3 months I'm having this difficulty again. I'm going to try & get the surgeon to fix me. I have like what I call a second bellybutton because where they took out the feeding tube is stuck inward and I believe it's narrowed. All this being said, there is alot of problems living my new type life but I've managed fairly well. I would say to you, be your own advocate & see another Dr. until someone figures out what is wrong for sure. Do not wait. I wish I hadn't been so trusting. My tumor was very hard to detect. Had Mayo not had me on an xray table when they scoped me they wouldn't have found it. Just don't wait. Stay on that Dr. Get a second opinion. I wish I had.

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoozie For This Useful Post:
dewing (04-12-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 02:51 AM   #8
dewing
(female)

dewing HB User

Thanks for your post Snoozie and sorry to hear your situation and hope you are coping as best you can. My ultrasound scan is due this Friday and it cannot come soon enough, at least I will know what is wrong with me and why I feel like this. My present symptoms seen to point to gallstones/gallbladder but I also suffer from GERD. I am also Type 2 diabetic. I was really hoping to have lost a lot of weight when I was first diagnosed with diabetes in 2009 but I have found it so difficult to lose weight, it really isn't easy but I will never give up (I have at least 4 - 5 stones to lose). We really tend to take our health for granted until something goes wrong. At least this time next week I will be nearer to finding out what is wrong with me.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
nr1234
(female)

nr1234 HB User

Hi,

In terms of esophageal cancer this happens only after the tissue in the esophagus changes into whats known as Barrets esophagus. this can take years if the reflux is severe and untreated. Since you seem to be having gall bladder issues as well I suggest removing it. If the stones get lodged into your pancreas it would be difficult to fix. The bile reflux also adds to the acid reflux. When you remove it you will need to undergo a lifestyle change as well such as a low fat diet. I lost 40 kgs when I removed mine. I'm not saying do it because it will aid in weight loss i'm saying do it for the reflux. I have GORD since 2009. I understand your concerns. The endoscopy will help asses you. Best of luck.

Closed Thread