It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Esophageal Message Board

Does this sound like cancer?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #1
Samsav22
(female)

Samsav22 HB User
Does this sound like cancer?

Hi all,

I am a 23 year old female. For the past few years I have been dealing with what seems to be some esophageal issues that have only recently gotten really bad.

Long story short, from time to time it feels like my food is having trouble passing through and it causes me some pain. In recent months, it has been happening more often than not. After I eat I get stomach pains, back pain, and constant burping (even when drinking water). I generally don't feel the traditional burning feeling you'd think of with heartburn though. I am a huge worrier and find that when I am more anxious and/or thinking about it, the pain and process of eating is worse.

I have had a barium swallow done a year ago and it came back with nothing but showing a lot of acid. I am set to have a gastroscope Feb 1st but can't stop freaking out about the idea that it could be cancer as cancer (colon mainly - I had a colonoscopy last year which came back clear) runs in my family.

I am wondering if this sounds at all like cancer or whether anyone thinks my anxiety and constant worrying is making it worse?

Thanks !

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #2
Breezin
(male)

Breezin HB UserBreezin HB User
Re: Does this sound like cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsav22 View Post
Hi all,

I am a 23 year old female. For the past few years I have been dealing with what seems to be some esophageal issues that have only recently gotten really bad.

Long story short, from time to time it feels like my food is having trouble passing through and it causes me some pain. In recent months, it has been happening more often than not. After I eat I get stomach pains, back pain, and constant burping (even when drinking water). I generally don't feel the traditional burning feeling you'd think of with heartburn though. I am a huge worrier and find that when I am more anxious and/or thinking about it, the pain and process of eating is worse.

I have had a barium swallow done a year ago and it came back with nothing but showing a lot of acid. I am set to have a gastroscope Feb 1st but can't stop freaking out about the idea that it could be cancer as cancer (colon mainly - I had a colonoscopy last year which came back clear) runs in my family.

I am wondering if this sounds at all like cancer or whether anyone thinks my anxiety and constant worrying is making it worse?

Thanks !

I have esophagus issues periodically, I too am a constant worrier about things. At your age you would be a very minimal risk for esophagus cancer. I had really bad acid reflux for a period of time and had a endoscopy done on my throat that showed Barret's esophagus about 12 years ago. I have had two endoscopies on my throat since then that do not show Barrets. Not sure if I actually go rid of it or if it as a wrong diagnosis the first time.

My acid reflux made me feel like I constantly had a lump in my throat, sort of like the feeling you get after swallowing a really large pill. But I never really had a heartburn sensation either. If you are concerned, and I get that way too, perhaps discuss with your doctor having an endoscopy done as opposed to the barium test. I am not quite for certain, but I think a barium test looks at your swallowing to see what is going on with the mechanisms of swallowing. In an endoscopy, they will look down your throat to see if anything looks abnormal and take some small samples to have biopsied to look for cells that appear cancerous.

Most people who get throat cancer are long time smokers, hard drinkers, and/or a long time exposure to acid reflux. At 23 years of age, even if you had all of these three risks combined, you would still be a very low risk for throat cancer. And yes, having anxiety about it makes the feelings you get in your throat even worse, I know from experience unfortunately.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:06 AM   #3
Breezin
(male)

Breezin HB UserBreezin HB User
Re: Does this sound like cancer?

Even as long winded as I was I did forget to add, some of your symptoms are indicative of gallstones. And gallstones can be a cause for acid reflux. You ever get attacks where it feels like your stomach is cramping and the pain from that radiates out towards your back?

Reply Reply