It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board

• Confused - Angiomyolipoma or RCC

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #1
    tulipcbro
    (female)

tulipcbro HB User
    Confused - Angiomyolipoma or RCC

An abdominal ultrasound in 2018 showed a 1.4cm solid mass that looked like angiomyolipoma.
    An abdominal MRI in March 2020 showed a 1.4cm complex cyst ( same location) that looks suspicious for Renal Cell Carcinoma, and imagining features increasing the suspicious that the mass is malignant.
    To my surprise, three urologists recommend waiting 6 months and repeat the scan.
    I started having this flank pain so I decided to not wait any longer and had an ultrasound after 3 months, which again showed a solid mass, this time of 2.7cm ( after three months) and cannot say for sure whether it is angiomyolipoma or cancer.

Anybody else had this situation?
    For two years the mass was stable in size and then it grew more than a cm over the course of three months. Is this an indicator of malignancy. I was repeatedly told renal cancer grows slowly.

Any opinion would be appreciated.
    I am only going to see the doctor in two weeks and I am consumed with worrying.

Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2020, 08:43 AM   #2
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
    Re: Confused - Angiomyolipoma or RCC

Some cancers are slow growing, like thyroid cancer and some prostate cancers.

Diet can have a lot to do with growth. For example, a diet high in animal protein can cause your body to produce excessive amounts of a hormone called "Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-1). A normal amount of protein and IGF-1 is usually not a problem. But today millions of dieters are consuming high protein diets as a means to help control their weight.

So if a person does have cancer, a high level of IGF-1 can act to stimulate growth.

Plant protein may be a better choice as far as helping to promote kidney health far into one's old age.

Reply Reply