It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Kidney Message Board

what to think

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
MikeLite
(male)

MikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB User
what to think

Was diagnosed with cancer 2 months ago, removed kidney... Wondering if just follow up and get ct scan every 6 months for first year...are there signs of cancer spreading elsewhere? Pathology report said contained entirely in kidney? Are there other tests that can detect cancer? Noticed around time of having problems feet were cold, usually tired.....wondering if any relation to cancer these symptoms... Mucous buildup directly after eating or drinking...feet cold...bloated? Thank you for any advice!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2014, 04:35 AM   #2
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: what to think

Mike,
If kidney cancer spreads elsewhere, it spreads to neighboring lymph nodes, which are located along the back near the kidneys. So new aching or pain in that area after the surgery pain is gone would be concerning. It also can spread to liver, which might cause loss of appetite, nausea or right upper abdominal pain. If spreads to lungs would cause shortness of breath and cough. If spread to bone, bone pain, and if to brain, headaches, dizziness. In general, feeling weak, loss of appetite, weight loss or fever are also concerning symptoms. On the plus side, indications are that the cancer was entirely contained in the kidney, and that was removed. So the monitoring of labs, CT scans, and reporting of any new symptoms should catch anything, if it crops up, to be treated early. Keep in mind that any symptoms you might develop in future may just be something ordinary and not harmful. You could still get a GI bug, bronchitis, tension headache, etc. So try not to panic if you don't feel well for a day or two. If symptoms develop that are unusual or unexplained and persist or worsen, you need to call Dr. I hope things go well for you, and now that it is gone, it stays gone forever!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
MikeLite
(male)

MikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB UserMikeLite HB User

Thank you for the peace of mind...

Old 05-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #4
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

It is very scary to go thru any kind of cancer treatment, and any information is helpful to know what to watch for. The mucous buid=up after eating is more likely an allergy symptom, and frequently occurs with dairy products, so you might look at that connection. Feeling tired should clear up, now that problem is taken care of. Your other kidney will take over the function of the one removed, so you should feel better. If you continue to feel cold and tired, have checks for anemia and low thyroid, both of which can cause those symptoms.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
dirt engineer
(male)

dirt engineer HB User

My wife is just recovering from kidney cancer surgery. We both suffer from Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Keep on top of your other health concerns to stay healthy, starting with a TSH test and Vitamin D test. Keep TSH under 3 and Vitamin D at least 50. TSH is a measure of thyroid health, and Vitamin D is a good measure of overall health, and helps fight cancer. I would not be surprised if your thyroid is weak, and vitamin D levels low as mine are. I am after my wife to have her vitamin D level checked. Good luck! I know it is a tough road.

Closed Thread