It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• Waiting on results ...

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
    rgm82
    (male)

rgm82 HB User
    Waiting on results ...

Hello all,
    First time poster, if things go well hopefully last, looking for some info/guidance on a worrisome finding, here goes:
    37 yr old male, very physically active, healthy diet, moderate drinker, all that good stuff; HOWEVER smoker/vaper for about the past 20 years.

I smoked cigarettes from 18-30, then transitioned to vaping because like a lot of people at the time I thought it would be a less harmful alternative.
    When everybody started getting sick from it this year I decided to see a doc and make sure I was all good, I wasn't experiencing any specific symptoms but he gave me a chest x-ray and took blood and urine samples nonetheless, that was about a month ago.

The blood and urine samples showed across the board good health, however the chest x-ray revealed what he described as a small nodule on the middle left lung and he couldn't tell what it was so he ordered a CT scan. I just had the CT scan today, doc called back with a recommended follow up appointment to go over the results in a week as well as a recommended follow up CT scan in another 6 months, I'm trying to interpret what all that could mean and the suspense is killing me...I feel like the 6 month follow up CT scan might be encouraging, that makes it sound like maybe monitoring the thing is a good idea, but arranging for immediate procedures is not yet necessary. I'm also choosing to take my exceptionally good blood and urine results as an encouraging sign. And for what it's worth, the x-ray tech also tells me i have huge lungs, which according to him is for some reason apparently a good thing.

I have virtually none of the common symptoms for lung cancer, EXCEPT that I have now been experiencing mild chest pain and discomfort, in the exact area more or less that he told me the nodule was discovered, and I am a bit concerned.

This pain and discomfort could be a few things...first of all, it started at the exact time I got the x-ray results, and I have a tendency toward mild hypochondria/psychosomatic episodes, so it's entirely possible that upon hearing potentially bad news my brain started making up symptoms for a disease that isn't there.
    This chest pain/discomfort is so mild it's also entirely possible that it was present before and I just never noticed it until the doc gave me incentive to start paying more attention.
    A third possibility is that upon hearing the results of the x-ray I immediately gave up vaping and have only caved in and smoked about 5 cigarettes in the past month, so perhaps I'm just feeling some side-effects from not inhaling garbage into my lungs daily for the first time in 20 years.
    A few other possibilities could be that I'm occasionally prone to heartburn/gas problems, and also as an active athletic type with an injury history I'm somewhat prone to all sorts of minor bodily aches and pains that I tend to usually ignore until given a reason not to ignore them.
    Or of course another possibility is that it's lung cancer, I'm just trying to be realistic and consider all my options...I've got a week of anxiety to deal with here while I wait for my follow up visit with my doctor to go over the CT results, so...here I am, desperately hoping for a reassuring opinion or two from a group of strangers familiar with this potential condition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply