It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

Please Help My Mom

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-22-2005, 06:59 AM   #1
allenlw
(male)

allenlw HB User
Please Help My Mom

I can not either believe this or accept it. My mom is diagnosed as lung cancer and it is spread to somewhere else in her body. She raised me all by herself working hard, I went to school, got a job, married, our lives are getting better, but now she's got this. This is too unfair. I am not going to give up. We are going to fight! I told my mom there are tons of ways to deal with the cancer,even spreaded. I actually don't know too much about it, so please help me.

My current questions are:

It is known that we can do Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy. Does anyone know what are the best medicines / ways for these therapies? Are there any new medicines / ways to do these therapies?

Are there any therapies other than Chemo and Radiation for this kind of cancer?

Any of your suggestions, recommendations and ideas will be really appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 12:39 PM   #2
Michael01
Inactive

Michael01 HB User
Re: Please Help My Mom

So sorry to hear about your mom. Besides conventional therapies you also need to do research (lots of it on the internet) regarding Natural Cancer Therapies, Nutritional Cancer Therapies, Macrobiotic Diet and Herbal Therapies. What a cancer patient eats plays an important role in fighting cancer. What we're talking about is a vegetarian mostly raw food diet with lots of whole grains (no fruit). Look for books on fighting cancer with nutrition. Sugar both natural and refined must be avoided. I've read many testimonials regarding the Macrobiotic Diet. Do a search on Janet E. Vitt who is a lung cancer survivor. Doctors have no interest in therapies outside of conventional.

Old 03-01-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
lynsay78
(female)

lynsay78 HB User

Do some research on essiac tea

Old 03-02-2005, 05:53 AM   #4
phaedrus
(female)

phaedrus HB User

I am glad to see that you are prepared to do anything to help your mom. I have heard of two therapies, well 3 including the essaic tea (I know someone who used this tea and swears by it). I saw a show just last night on hyperthermic treatment, where tumours can be heated. This weakens the cancerous cells, allowing a weaker chemo/radiation therapy to be even more effective than the intense kind that gives nasty side effects. The Two women on the show (both breast cancer though) recovered...the tumours disappeared.
This therapy when it was first discovered by accident years ago, had a 40% cure rate of advanced/terminal patients.
The other study I know of is the use of maitake mushrooms. mice with tumours who were given these mushrooms (in what form I don't know), all had their tumours significantly reduced in size. That is what we want. To reduce the size of the cancer until it eventually disappears.
God bless, you and your mom are in my prayers.

Last edited by phaedrus; 03-02-2005 at 05:54 AM.

Old 03-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #5
mimirea
(female)

mimirea HB User

Hello. My mom too, has lung cancer and I just wanted to express that I am very sorry that you are going through this and I know exactly how you feel. My mom was diagnosed 19 months ago and was given 4-6 months. She did chemo, repeatedly and also radiation. The two together (mainly the radiation) did shrink her tumor but unfortuneately, she was not a candidate for surgery. I have struggled daily since she was given her diagnosis, we all have. She's a strong woman with alot of will to live, we've been very blessed to have her this long. I have moments, always at night, when I think I absolutely STILL cannot accept that I am going to lose her soon, it's terrifyingly hard to grasp...still. Just know that even though doctors may give a time frame, it's not always the case. I pray you find treatments that will help to buy your mom quality time with you and your family, time is so precious. God Bless.

Old 03-09-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
quittingforgood
(female)

quittingforgood HB User

ask her docs about a drug called Iressa. It can only be used for a certain progression level, so it may not be of any help but I suspect it added about a year to my dad's life. He died in May but he would have died sooner had he not had such wonderful care. The drug is very early on in FDA approval, so some docs may not have heard of it. The only advice I can give is to just fight with everything you have. Best wishes to you and your mom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenlw
I can not either believe this or accept it. My mom is diagnosed as lung cancer and it is spread to somewhere else in her body. She raised me all by herself working hard, I went to school, got a job, married, our lives are getting better, but now she's got this. This is too unfair. I am not going to give up. We are going to fight! I told my mom there are tons of ways to deal with the cancer,even spreaded. I actually don't know too much about it, so please help me.

My current questions are:

It is known that we can do Chemotherapy and Radiation Therapy. Does anyone know what are the best medicines / ways for these therapies? Are there any new medicines / ways to do these therapies?

Are there any therapies other than Chemo and Radiation for this kind of cancer?

Any of your suggestions, recommendations and ideas will be really appreciated.

Old 03-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
Lady_J_1_01
(female)

Lady_J_1_01 HB User

Al, As always my heart breaks for you and everyone else who meets here...I can only tell you what we did. Clint had stage 3 b non small cell ca. He had chemo to shrink it enough to remove it from his left upper lung. It had spread to 3 lymph nodes.and was wrapped around part of his aorta. After 10 hours in surgery, he also finished off with another round of chemo.We read all we could and talked to anyone who would give advice.
He Stopped all sugar as best he could.
he tried to keep his body alkaline (non acidic)
he used Issac Tea
no processed foods
he ate apricot pits (from the health food store, I had read the book "left to die" and he decided to eat 7 pits a day (since they do contain a toxin also)
He drink liquid vitamins
We watched TONS of humourus vidios (even through tears sometimes)
He felt so much more free once he had his will done, had wrote the children letters etc..That seemed to give him a stronger will and less fear of the unknown.
He rested when ever he felt tired
He drank lots of h20
He has been free of cancer a year March 1st. Latly his liver tests havent come back as they should, and he still tires easy. To drink a beer makes him vomit. But we are thankful for each days gift. We both have cried alone and together, knowing it can rear its ugly head anytime.
I wish you the best in getting info yo can use, I know for us it was like finding our way in a maze, with so many different options, and not knowing if picking the wrong one could cost him his life.
I was a child raised by a mom as yourself, she to was hard working, always giving, it didnt seem fair when she was taken. I know how you are struggling inside, almost in dispare. But do know we are all here for you. Each with so many things to offer, Come here often, reach out... someone will take your hand, lend a shoulder. Many carried me in my darkest hours on this board. I am so grateful for this site. It is an excellant resource also. I will be praying for you and your family. Mattie

Closed Thread