It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

Pot smoking and lung cancer

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-30-2002, 09:01 AM   #1
mr bean
Inactive
(male)

mr bean HB User
Red face Pot smoking and lung cancer

I'm a 40 year old male....been smoking the "chronic" for about 25 years....almost daily(2 or 3 times)...I try to research as much info as possible about lung cancer and the causes, but everything that I've seen says there is no hard proof that dope causes lung cancer in fact the majority of what I read states hat it may actually supress cancer causing agents ......
..I know that obviously any kind of smoke can't be good for you, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same question? I noticed over the last week or so, I've had some chest heaviness, not heart related though, I had that checked last year....stress test, sonogram, cholesterol etc. all ok....dr said it was inflammed cartilage in my chest..I'm wondering if it may be the same thing again or maybe the start of lung cancer(WOW!)....I have no symptoms...no coughing, no phlegm or anything like that, but the symptom I have is a mild dull ache under my sternum...I also have some slight achiness in my back and my appetite comes and goes, get kinda of a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach...anyone else experience anything like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2002, 11:51 PM   #2
Bosheep
Inactive

Bosheep HB User
I don't know if pot smoking causes cancer or not, but I think there is a good chance. If I remember right, pot smoking is even harder on the lungs than cigarette smoking. I'm not sure why, but am going to guess it is because of the resin or something.

I just turned 40. Right after I turned 40 last fall, I was diagnosed with lung cancer. It was caught very early. My "symptoms" were just a simple case of bronchitis. Every time I'd catch a head cold, it'd go to my chest and I'd get bronchitis. Doctor usually would just give me antibiotic for it. This time I got a young, new doctor, who thought he had to have me go through a chest xray etc. I was so mad at him for making me go through a chest xray - I just wanted him to give me antibiotics and go on -

But the xray showed a spot on my lung and within a month they had cut out the upper lobe of my right lung.

A lot of people in their thirties and forties are getting lung cancer. I didn't think you got it until you were 50 or 60. I've learned a lot about it recently, the hard way.

Did I smoke pot? Yes, many years ago, in the 70s. But I didn't inhale. LOL

Old 08-04-2002, 10:07 PM   #3
DR.MOMMY

DR.MOMMY HB User
POT SMOKING IS JUST AS BAD IF NOT WORSE BECAUSE YOU HOLD IT IN YOUR LUNGS FOR SO LONG. WHEN I WAS CHECKING THAT WAS WHAT I COME UP WITH.
DO YOU HAVE A GALL BLADDER?
REFLUX? HEARTBURN?
HERNIA?
ULCER?
THINK ABOUT WHY YOU SMOKE IT 2-3 TIMES A DAY. YA KNOW THATS A $$$$$ HABIT. WHAT, ABOUT AN OUNCE EVERY TWO WEEKS? DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, IF YOU DON'T USE A ONE HITTER, GET ONE. BUT IF YOUR THAT COMMITTED TO SMOKING POT I'M SURE YOU ALREADY HAVE ONE.
FYI- DON'T TELL YOUR DOCTOR YOU SMOKE POT , IF YOU EVER REALLY NEED ANY MEDICINE HE WON'T WANT TO GIVE IT TO YOU. BUT KEEP IT IN MIND WHEN YOU TAKE ANY MEDICINE, RX OR OTC.

Old 08-05-2002, 07:16 AM   #4
mr bean
Inactive
(male)

mr bean HB User
Question

Hey Bosheep,...were you a cigarette smoker at all in your life or do you attribute your cancer to the pot smoking???

Old 08-05-2002, 12:24 PM   #5
eva1964npain

eva1964npain HB User
Red face

Hey bosheep your info brought up a concern for me I am 38 and have smoked cig and pot and have quit both but still suffer from bronchitis I am constantly in the er room for treatments my breathing is terrible and have had pnuemonia several times and bronchitis atleast 3 or 4 times a year. My concern is my father he is 72 and has been diagnosed with non small cell carcinoma he is under combo treatments of chemo and radiation and is midway through his treatments suffering from all the side effects they said would pass anyway my concern is in researching all this cancer stuff it does say that if you suffer from many episodes of bronchitis or pnuemonias reaccuring periodically that you can be a prone candidate for cancer. I have had several xrays and yes my lungs look bad but they say no growths well CT Scans are more accurate and they cost 3500.00 and I have insurance and I had decided to wait cause insurance co can reject paying but after your response on this forum I have decided to go through with the scan better safe then sorry my doctor has tried to convince me that with cancer in both sides of my family it would be wise. And I guess I am just scared to see what it will be. Right now I am on workmans comp for Carpal tunnell in my left hand and am also sick with a severe case of bronchitis and trying to doctor it my self. Hope all is well with your recovery and may god bless you and thankyou for your input on this THanks Eva

Old 08-05-2002, 11:05 PM   #6
Bosheep
Inactive

Bosheep HB User
Mr. Bean,

I started smoking cigarettes when I was 13 and didn't quit until 2 weeks before I was diagnosed with lung cancer. i.e. I smoked cigarettes for 27 years.
I don't think pot smoking had anything to do with it. I didn't smoke pot very long at all - it was one of those teenager - in - the - seventies- kind of things - by the time I was 16, it dropped off my to-do list.

Old 08-05-2002, 11:27 PM   #7
Bosheep
Inactive

Bosheep HB User
Eva,

I just spent 30 minutes writing a reply to you - and then it went POOF. ARRRGHHH!

I'll come back again and write more - but bottom line - get a cat scan done. There are many places offering them for $50 now - try a teaching hospital.

Old 08-06-2002, 07:57 AM   #8
mr bean
Inactive
(male)

mr bean HB User
Question

Bosheep, I was a cigarette smoker for MAYBE 3-4 years and even at that, I wasn't a regular or heavy smoker....about a pack every 2-3 days and sometimes I would go a couple of weeks without a smoke....but I've been a regular pot smoker for about 25 years maybe 1-2 joints a day sometimes more sometimes less....I have no cough, I've never had bronchitis, I had a physical last year and my Dr. said my lungs SOUNDED fine....
However I've never had a chest xray and this dull ache under my left shoulder blade comes and goes on a daily basis....any thoughts?

Old 08-07-2002, 02:08 PM   #9
eva1964npain

eva1964npain HB User
Bosheep I hate that when your really zoned in just typing away and poof it goes into cyberspace. Thanks for the reply will talk to my Dr about the CT By the way update on my father. The damn Dr's have now and I guess they new from the get go it is stage 3 and I am so ****** I mean they gave the man so much hope in the beginning you know telling him they can beat this and its no where else well if its no where else but in the lung how can it be in stage three. Oh me just blastin outloud. Sorry. I hope all is well with you and thanks for the reply. Eva

Old 08-12-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
Lady^
Inactive

Lady^ HB User
Hmmmmm, I once read that taking a bong hit is the equivilent of taking your lung and smacking it against the pavement.

I think that weed can cause cancer as I think anything you smoke can. Plus, when you smoke weed it's unfilitered, which can't be good.

Old 08-15-2002, 01:14 PM   #11
mushroom1

mushroom1 HB User
Bosheep, after I finishing writing, before I click on submit reply, I copy what I have just written and if it disappears, I can just paste it right back in. You probably already knew that...

Old 10-12-2002, 06:33 PM   #12
Debbie68

Debbie68 HB User
Mr. Bean,
My mom has lung cancer diagnosed almost 2 and a half years ago. She smokes cigarettes and she also smokes pot daily. I personally think smoking pot has alot of benefits-helps her appetite, seems to give her energy bursts and just helps her mood in general. I really think there is many more harmful chemicals in cigarettes-formeldehyde, benzoate, and ammonia to name a few, so I don't think smoking pot is all that bad.
This is just my personal opinion however when you live in BC(the best bud in Canada!) you can't help but smoke it.

Closed Thread