It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• Anyone dealt with carcinoid cancer?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2003, 06:14 AM   #1
    kimmmi

kimmmi HB User
    Post Anyone dealt with carcinoid cancer?

I have just had surgery for lung carcinoid cancer. It is kind of rare, and I am having difficulty finding others who have had this type of cancer. If anyone out there has had this type of cancer, please post. My questions are: I have read as much as 65% of thoracic surgery patients will have pain for the rest of their life. Do you? My pain (even though its only been 8 wks, is still very bad. Does this breathlessness go away? I still can't make it to the top of the stairs. Have you been tested for cancer in other places of the body? Thanks, my doc has not been very helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
    jwgeetar

jwgeetar HB User
    what kind of surgery did you have? did you remove the tumor or part of the lung?

i too had a carcinoid tumor 3.5 years ago that was as big as a quarter and was sitting atop and blocking my bronchial tube eventually collapsing my right lung. i thought i had Penumonia the way i felt for 3 weeks before the collapse.

to make a long story short,i had a history of coughing up blood for 15 years. there's another name for it but it's basically chronic bronchitis.

so after the biopsy and found it was not maliginant,i had my whole right lung removed---since it had been rendered useless.

after hurting for 3 months from that recovery, it took another 4 months to get used to breathing with one lung.now my left lung is better than than the both of them before the operation.i have 49% breathing capacity
    in the left one whereas before i had 72% in both.

and yes as you said,stairs---arrrgh---i hate'em. i take the elevators and escalators always at work. when i bend over to pickup stuff off the floor i can pinch my wind off and have to catch my breath. same with carrying 40lb speakers around(i'm a singer/musician--still). i have to stop and catch my breath after a coupla trips to the SUV.

other than that i'm fine and love riding my bike. and it does feel good after i catch my breath.makes the blood flow.

hope this helps...jw

Old 03-07-2003, 11:20 AM   #3
    kimmmi

kimmmi HB User
    Thanks for posting. I had the middle and lower lobe removed. It sounds like you are doing great....thanks, it makes me feel alot better.

Old 09-09-2003, 06:27 PM   #4
    muxy

muxy HB User
    Hello,

Tell me about the symptoms you were having. Any flushing, intolerance to alcohol or certain foods. How was it diagnosed..labs and tests.

Thanx

Closed Thread