It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• Already in bone metastasis - what to expect ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-19-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
    MarcosP
    (male)

MarcosP HB User
    Question Already in bone metastasis - what to expect ?

Hi all,

My dad started having some back pain in September last year. Since he's been smoking since his teen years (and he's 74 now) the immediate suspicion was lung cancer. However a biopsy made at the time found no issue. Last January, since no other explanation was given to the pain, he went through another biopsy, which also found no problem. Then things started turning bad: he had a broken femur. The surgery to get it fixed was quite successful, but things have been clearly deteriorating since then: he's lost weight (and he was already quite thin), he feels weak and he has to use diapers. The bone was broken due to a metastasis, that is also on his other leg and his ribs. Yesterday he went through radiotherapy for the first time, and he also has taken Zometa, which should strengthen the bones. We were happy that the treatment actually "started", but today he was extremely weak and we had to take him to the hospital, where they found out he was dehydrated. Anyway, I wonder if any of you has gone through a similar situation and can answer some of the following questions:

- We don't know yet if it's SC or NSC (this should be answered by the biopsy), and due to that the oncologist currently refuses to give us any estimation before seeing the results. But, from what I read and also from the comments that the GP has made in the hospital today, I'm afraid he might be close to a terminal state, right ?
    - He has almost no problem breathing, could it be that it's not lung cancer at all ? According to the oncologist, it should most likely be, due to the type of cancer cells found in his leg (carcinoma).
    - Is there any hope that he will walk again ? Currently he's not allowed to walk, since his legs are fragile.
    - Anyone has experiences with Zometa ? I read somewhere in the web that it doesn't seem to help that much ...
    - He has also difficulty closing his right hand and he's losing strength/movement on it. The oncologist has dismissed it as arthritis or something similar, but after reading the forum, I'm afraid it could be due to the tumor reaching the brain. Anyone had similar experiences ?
    - Is it common that the biopsies fail to find the tumor ? I'm so ****** that it took us this long to start a proper treatment, and to make matters worse I don't like the oncologist's attitude at all.

Well, that was a huge post ... I hope anyone has the patience to read it and can shed some light on the situation. Needless to say, it's been some tough days, especially since I live abroad and should go back to work soon.

Thanks and best regards, Marcos.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
    shadowrose40

shadowrose40 HB User
    Re: Already in bone metastasis - what to expect ?

HI

I'm sort of confused. What did they biopsy if nothing is seen in the lungs? A ct scan should be done, then a pet scan. That will give a better idea of what is going on where.

Even with a smoking history, if there are no tumors in his lungs, then it's not lung cancer.

Usually a biopsy is done on a suspicious nodule or mass. Were there any found?

If you aren't getting answers from the oncologist, and don't like him (and if your father doesn't) get a second opinion!

Best of luck

Old 03-20-2005, 04:08 AM   #3
    MarcosP
    (male)

MarcosP HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadowrose40
    HI

I'm sort of confused. What did they biopsy if nothing is seen in the lungs? A ct scan should be done, then a pet scan. That will give a better idea of what is going on where.

Even with a smoking history, if there are no tumors in his lungs, then it's not lung cancer.

Usually a biopsy is done on a suspicious nodule or mass. Were there any found?

If you aren't getting answers from the oncologist, and don't like him (and if your father doesn't) get a second opinion!

Best of luck
    Hi and thanks for the answer !

I went through all his exams today ... he had a CT scan, which said something like "investigate dark areas in the upper right lung". To my dismay, I've just found out that PET scans are not commonly available in my country. I think that's why the biopsies have been done right after the CT scan.

I'll try to get a second opinion soon, meanwhile if anyone has comments or experiences on bone metastasis, I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks a lot, Marcos.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
    renee_ky

renee_ky HB Userrenee_ky HB User

My husbands lung cancer was not detected until it had spread to the bone and his hip broke. Scott was able to walk for a couple of months after the hip replacement, but it took a lot of effort. My husband (only 45 and otherwise healthy and strong) lived 9 months after being diagnosed with small cell lung cancer.

Prayers are with you!
    Renee

Old 03-27-2005, 09:07 AM   #5
    SOCA

SOCA HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MarcosP
    Hi all,

- Anyone has experiences with Zometa ? I read somewhere in the web that it doesn't seem to help that much ...
    - Thanks and best regards, Marcos.
    My wife has been receiving Zometa 4mg. monthly since June 2004 for her bone cancer. Some people swear by it but I've seen no tangible evidence that it's had any therapeutic effect or improved her bone cancer. But, since it appears to be relatively harmless, she'll go ahead and keep receiving it just in case it does have some beneficial effect even if only minimal.

Old 03-27-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
    Lucy32

Lucy32 HB User

Marcos,
    My mother also was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer with a brain tumor and possible bone mets. There has never been a primary source of cancer found! It is still called lung cancer because the type of cancer found in her brain tumor was LUNG cancer cells. So even though nothing has been found in her lungs, she still DOES have lung cancer. It just has not been found or has not surfaced yet.
    It has been 7 months since her diagnosis and we will be going soon for a CAT scan to see if it has shown up in her lungs yet. I have learned that finding no primary source of cancer is not common but also not rare.
    My mother, too, is on Zometta and the Dr said she will be on it for the rest of her life as Lung cancer's favorite places to spread are: the bones, brain, and liver.
    I hope this info has helped you. Take care of your self!

Closed Thread