It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• brain mets

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
    jax6
    (female)

jax6 HB User
    brain mets

Hi all,
    I haven't posted in a while because my dad (stage 4 sclc w/brain mets) was doing so well for a while. Hospice has come in over the past couple of months. He's on many meds,steroids have controlled the symptoms of brain mets for a while but the symptoms are coming back again. I really am so unsure of what to expect. Do people dying of brain tumors go into a coma before they die? I just want to prepare myself of what is to come and I can't seem to find any info about what to expect. Thanks to anyone who would be willing to share anything you know.Cancer sucks!
    Jackie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
    NodiGoiterGirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
    Re: brain mets

Hospice nurses are a great source of information when it comes to learning what you can expect. My friend was a hospice nurse and it was part of her job to explain these things.
    Take Care, my prayers are with you and yours.
    Nodi

Old 08-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
    Kimslos
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Kimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB UserKimslos HB User
    Re: brain mets

Jackie,
    My father-in-law had melanoma that had metatisized to the brain along with glioblastoma and he did go into coma and we knew it was coming but boy it came quicker than we had expected. Nodi is correct in saying that Hospice should be able to give you an idea. My dad died in February from Bladder Cancer and he went into coma about 40 hours before he died. We did not expect my dad to go into coma, but you never know how the body works. I have a good friend and her dad died of lung cancer several years ago and he never went into coma and they were unsure if he had any mets to the brain since he opted not to have treatment. His liver is what got him in the end. My husband has SCLC and we are so thankful that even though his brain is covered with mets since he was diagnosed 14 months ago and to this day is still with us...amazing. His doctor is very impressed...we do know anything can change in a moment so hard to say what could happen to your dad. Hang in there Jackie and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
    Kim

Closed Thread