It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• Pleural Effusion from lung cancer

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-11-2007, 05:27 AM   #1
    Tonym81
    (male)

Tonym81 HB User
    Pleural Effusion from lung cancer

I have been having symptoms of Pleural effusion for a while now, on and off but will not go away. 4-6 months. Only on the left side.

I went to a doctor and said it could be a pulled muscle, and to come back if it never went away. I have yet to go back as I thought it would go away in time.

Today though I read that lung cancer can be a cause of Pleurisy/Pleural effusion, amongst other things.

I can feel dull pain all along the chest wall like a sac of fluid is building there right on the last rib (wet pleurisy). I get shoulder pains and back rib pains as well, but very mild, and rare.

What are the chances that this pleural effusion is caused by a cancer in the lung, instead of just an infection?

Im only 25 years old, and have pleurisy I am certain of it now.

I will go to the doctor ASAP, been putting it off for a while now.

This is very concerning, considering I am showing no symptoms. Just a slight ache where the bulge is formed around the rib/chest wall.

No change in coughing, no loss of appetite, no weight loss.
    When I clear my throat or cough there is no blood or phlegm.
    No wheezing or hoarseness in voice.

Just a dull, aching constant discomfort around the last rib area.

Any help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
    mabegb
    (female)

mabegb HB User
    Re: Pleural Effusion from lung cancer

tony, usually a plureal effusion is not a dull ache but can be rather intense. also with plurosy(sp?) can be quite painful. dont worry your self so bad. but you are right to have it checked as soon as possible. good luck. keep us posted on what you find out.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
    Tonym81
    (male)

Tonym81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mabegb
    tony, usually a plureal effusion is not a dull ache but can be rather intense. also with plurosy(sp?) can be quite painful. dont worry your self so bad. but you are right to have it checked as soon as possible. good luck. keep us posted on what you find out.

Well the symptom reads:

Chest pain: This is the most common symptom. The pain can be a dull ache, a burning sensation, or a sharp, stabbing discomfort. It is usually worse when you take a deep breath, cough, or move around. The pain is usually better if you take shallow breaths or lie on the side that hurts. Chest pain is what usually causes people with pleurisy to seek medical attention.

I was not sure if it was Pleurisy related but I have all the symtoms that point to that.

Fever: You may also get a fever, depending on the cause of the pleurisy.

I also get mild fever dizziness, very mild, but its there indicating a infection of some sort.

I should state that I have been smoking marijuana/cigarettes for about 5 years. Cigarettes much less, and quit now for about 2 weeks.

Thx for reply, ill see a doctor tommorow.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
    mabegb
    (female)

mabegb HB User

good luck at the doctor tomorrow. you very well could have a infection. what you describe is very much like when i had pnuemonia. at any rate you are getting checked out so that is priority right now. i will be praying for you tony.take care-melissa

Closed Thread