It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board

• How common is lung cancer in non-smoking 40ish women? Symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #1
    dawnmn
    (female)

dawnmn HB User
    How common is lung cancer in non-smoking 40ish women? Symptoms?

Hi-I post fairly regularly on the liver disease message board, and I have a few questions for here as well.

I am a 41 year old non smoker in good health. I have been having some issues lately with mild night sweating (just on my chest and back of my neck) for some time now. It happens maybe one or two times a week. I also have achiness between my shoulder blades that I have had for many years. My worry is the night sweating thing-I have read that this could be a symptom of early lung cancer. I've been reading about women in their late thirties and early forties who never smoked and were diagnosed with aggressive lung cancers, and had absolutely no symptoms prior to being diagnosed. This is really scary. I worked as a dental assiatant for 16 years, and who knows what my lungs have been exposed to. My questions are-should I have a chest x-ray, to rule out cancer? I'm afraid to do this because If they find anything at all that is benign or questionable, this will stress me out like crazy. Are these infrequent night sweats something to worry about? Would a CBC blood test show anything unusual if I had any kind of lung cancer? I just found out I have a tiny cyst-like lesion on my liver that was found incidentally during a lumbar MRI. Now I'm having a full blown work up for it, including an MRI with contrast in July to check for growth. I'm stressed to the max with that, let alone find out I have something on my lung as well. My most recent CBC was perfect, as was my complete liver panel bloodwork. I would think if cancer was present, something would show up in the blood. Hope someone can answer my questions-I tend to be very neurotic with my health, and this liver lesion has got me worrying about everything else now!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
    geezgeez
    (male)

geezgeez HB User
    Re: How common is lung cancer in non-smoking 40ish women? Symptoms?

The chances of any non smoker developing lung cancer at any age is less than 1 percent. Where if you have smoked it increases to about 5-8 percent.

The symptom of the ache in between your shoulder blades is much more likely to be a problem with your posture, or even your bed.

The night sweats are a symptom of many non serious conditions. The only way to be sure is to get your lungs checked out, but seriously try not to worry about it too much.

Even the liver cyst shouldn't cause you too much concern, obviously tests need to be done to confirm that it is just a cyst. This is a benign condition that in most cases will not cause any symptoms whatsoever, and usually no treatment is required. It does not affect the functionality of the liver, and has virtually 0 chance of developing into a cancerous condition.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 PM   #3
    maebelle
    (female)

maebelle HB User

I have often pondered the relationship between cancer..or Lung cancer with smoking.
    My dear brother in law smoked for 20 plus yrs.At age 39 he quit and had NO signs of illness..Yet by the age of 44 he died of lung cancer.

On the other hand..my brother age 49..never smoked and didn't tolerate anyone who did.He had throat cancer and underwent an operation,had chemo and radiation etc...
    He is now 5 yrs cancer free.

So I have just come to the conclusion that "when we are meant to leave this world ...our time has come".
    Yes..we can do things as individuals to try to prevent cancer...or other illness...Yet sometimes FATE prevails.
    I smoke and have wondered at times about cancer..
    I am playing with fire literally and wonder why I do this to myself.MB

Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
    sueofbrookfield
    (female)

sueofbrookfield HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dawnmn View Post
    Hi-I post fairly regularly on the liver disease message board, and I have a few questions for here as well.

I am a 41 year old non smoker in good health. I have been having some issues lately with mild night sweating (just on my chest and back of my neck) for some time now. It happens maybe one or two times a week. I also have achiness between my shoulder blades that I have had for many years. My worry is the night sweating thing-I have read that this could be a symptom of early lung cancer. I've been reading about women in their late thirties and early forties who never smoked and were diagnosed with aggressive lung cancers, and had absolutely no symptoms prior to being diagnosed. This is really scary. I worked as a dental assiatant for 16 years, and who knows what my lungs have been exposed to. My questions are-should I have a chest x-ray, to rule out cancer? I'm afraid to do this because If they find anything at all that is benign or questionable, this will stress me out like crazy. Are these infrequent night sweats something to worry about? Would a CBC blood test show anything unusual if I had any kind of lung cancer? I just found out I have a tiny cyst-like lesion on my liver that was found incidentally during a lumbar MRI. Now I'm having a full blown work up for it, including an MRI with contrast in July to check for growth. I'm stressed to the max with that, let alone find out I have something on my lung as well. My most recent CBC was perfect, as was my complete liver panel bloodwork. I would think if cancer was present, something would show up in the blood. Hope someone can answer my questions-I tend to be very neurotic with my health, and this liver lesion has got me worrying about everything else now!!
    The night sweating can also be a symptom of pre-menopause. Night sweats are common. I agree the pain between your shoulders is probably posture or your bed, or the chair you use at work. I used to have terrible pain between my shoulders. Once I got a high back chair at work, the pain went away.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #5
    karenl39
    (female)

karenl39 HB User

I've been in permimenopause and menopause. I would say your symptoms suggest both. Night sweats are no fun! I also have constant pain in my back, but don't have lung cancer. It's part of the aging process. Do you exercise? That helps me a lot!

Closed Thread